Extreme PC Build log!

Whats up forum members,

I work for Elite PC Designs LLC. Today I finally got around to building my own extreme PC from home. I recently ordered all my parts from our current hardware vendor. Ive been building PC's for the past few years for this company but never got around to building a PC of my own. This thread will show my process from start to finish, hope you guys enjoy and please do give me some feedback!

Again, this is completely an unnecessary and EXTREME PC Build!

I will uploade the build video in a few days showing the process and overall product!

System components:

1. SilverStone Temjin Series TJ11 Tower
2. Dell UltraSharp U2711
3. Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011
3. Corsair Dominator GT 16GB 2133MHz
4. XFX Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition 3GB
5. Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSD 240GB
6. ASUS Rampage IV Formula LGA 2011
7. LG Super Multo BD Drive BD-CD-DVD RW
8. Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-1475M 1475W ATX PSU

Water Cooling Components:

1. Swiftech MCP655 Special Edition 12 VDC Pump With Speed Controller
2. Black Ice SR1 420 Radiator Series
3. Swiftech APOGEE HD Ultimate Extreme Performance Water Block
4. PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Green Tubing
5. Feser One F1 Cooling Fluid - UV Green
6. EK-Multioption RES X2 - 150
7. 12" Cathode Light Kit Sleeved - Green
8. Bitspower G1/4 Matte Black Dual Rotary 90-Degree Compression Fitting
9. EK-UNI Holder 50/70 - Reservoir Brackets
10. Bitspower Matt Black "L" Fitting - 90 Degree
11. Bitspower G1/4 Matte Black Triple Rotary 90-Degree Compression Fitting
12. BitFenix 3-pin Fan Extension Cable - 90cm - Green Sleeve (3x)
13. BitFenix 4-pin ATX Extension Cable - 45 cm - Black Sleeve
14. BitFenix EPS Extension Cable - 45cm - Black Sleeve

28 answers Last reply
More about extreme build
  1. Why 7970 though?
  2. Im just curious as to why he thinks there would be interest, if any, in a video of his build for the company he works for. Can you say terrible attempt at an advertisement?
  3. samuelspark said:
    Why 7970 though?

The 680 was probably out of stock :P

And isn't that psu kinda...overkill? Even if you crossfire the 7970 with water cooling? Other readers, please call me out on this if i'm wrong.
  4. Yeah, there's no reason for a lot of stuff in that build - 16GB RAM, the LGA 2011 CPU, the ~1500W PSU (which is a ThermalTake nonetheless), the excessively large rad + subpar waterblock + dyed coolant...

If these are the parts your company uses and how you guys assemble PCs, I will be sure to never recommend them to people I know. The allocation of funds makes no sense.

Quote:
    Im just curious as to why he thinks there would be interest, if any, in a video of his build for the company he works for. Can you say terrible attempt at an advertisement?

I was thinking the exact same thing - why else would he put his company in the title and state that he works for them?
  5. This build is anything but elite in their parts selection. The 680 i can understand due to supply issues atm. And even the ram I (we) could excuse because ram is so cheap atm.

But the psu? The single component that can take out the rest of your pc? It looks like you just chose the one with the largest number before the W.
  6. Hey, I like the company name lol!

You guys are killing this member for no reason. His first post clearly says this build is not from his company, but his personal rig. I am going to disagree with some of your claims. Yes, the ~1500 psu is a little overkill, but I am also using the same psu for its quite operation, regardless of Thermaltake’s past reputation.
    1. 680’s are almost impossible to find at the moment… 7970 is still a great GPU, especially now that it’s been lowered to the price of the 680.
    2. He is using a TJ11, why not utilize the space of that bottom bay with a large rad, I would lol.
    3. I have never experienced clogging from using Fesser one, in my past experience, if you clear the loop as advised it works fine.
    4. I would not say the Swiftech block is subpar.

My suggestions:
    1. With cooling power to spare, are you thinking of adding another 7970 and including them in your loop?
    2. With the mobo you have selected, is it too late to change the cpu out, your current selection does not OC too well.
    Does elite PCs ship out loops like this??, most companies don’t due to maintenance required by customers.

Other than that, cool build dude, I posted for help not too long ago, and the responses were very kind... not sure why you are being attacked.
  7. Hey guys, appreciate the feedback althought they were mostly negative. In the post I put "EXTREME PC" build. Of course all the parts I'm using us completely and utterly unnecessary but thats why I put "EXTREME PC BUILD". I know most of you are probably wondering or "hating" on the fact that I spend over 4k on this PC build, but the fact is, I dont have anything else to spend my money on. I owned a Dell PC for about 8 years, I figure if I'm going to build a custom PC, might as well make it EXTREME and unnecessary.

The reason I got a 7970 is because Im a AMD fanboy (as much as you might hate them). The 680 is a badass card but after all the reviews/videos/forums/experience they both are the same exact cards. They with both play Crysis and BF3 on ULTRA HIGH settings very well

As for me trying to "advertise" the company I work for, I wouldnt call this advertising, as I did state "PERSONAL BUILD" not company build. Most of our clients do not spend 5k on a custom PC except for the occasional "I need to spend my money" kid of thing, which I am totally okay with, I'm not going to lesson my clients on how to spend their money.

As for the thermaltake PSU, right now, it shighly underrated because most people do not own one. The beauty of this PSU is that the fan hardly ever turns on hence making it auper quiet. When it does turn on (during heavy load) it still never catches your ear.

Again, thank you guys for your feedback and hope to hear from you again!
  8. Shoulda saved for a new car :/ or added in 2 more 7970 and 3 monitors.
  9. Samuelspark - I actually recently got a new car and new everything, I was living in the past, so I had to upgrade a few things .

As for adding more gpu's, I'm definitely thinking of geting another 7970 due to the new 7990 coming out soon
  10. Quote:
    You guys are killing this member for no reason. His first post clearly says this build is not from his company, but his personal rig.

Yet he goes out of his way to mention his company several times.

Quote:
    Yes, the ~1500 psu is a little overkill, but I am also using the same psu for its quite operation, regardless of Thermaltake’s past reputation.

This PC is probably going to need 750-850W at the absolute most. Most PSUs are actually very quiet (if you buy a true quality unit) and ThermalTake's reputation is every reason to not buy their PSUs.

Quote:
    2. He is using a TJ11, why not utilize the space of that bottom bay with a large rad, I would lol.

There's no reason to use such a large rad with only a CPU in the loop. Just get an RX240 and be done with it.

Quote:
    3. I have never experienced clogging from using Fesser one, in my past experience, if you clear the loop as advised it works fine.

There's no reason to use a premix coolant. You pay a lot more money for extra stuff in the fluid that can clog, build up, and reduces heat transfer.

Quote:
    4. I would not say the Swiftech block is subpar.

I would. The XSPC Raystorm beats it out and costs less.

Quote:
    1. With cooling power to spare, are you thinking of adding another 7970 and including them in your loop?

Gonna need more rad space for that. It'll fit in the TJ11, but if you want good temps you'll need some more rads.

Quote:
    Of course all the parts I'm using us completely and utterly unnecessary but thats why I put "EXTREME PC BUILD". I know most of you are probably wondering or "hating" on the fact that I spend over 4k on this PC build, but the fact is, I dont have anything else to spend my money on.

We aren't dissing the fact that you blew $4k on a PC. It's the fact that you allocated your money in a non-sensical way that sparked the discussion. If you really wanted an extreme PC, we'd see dual GPUs with a good loop with those and the CPU. Could have gone for a MountainMods case.

Quote:
    The reason I got a 7970 is because Im a AMD fanboy (as much as you might hate them). The 680 is a badass card but after all the reviews/videos/forums/experience they both are the same exact cards. They with both play Crysis and BF3 on ULTRA HIGH settings very well

I don't have issues with the GPU. As much as I am an NVIDIA fanboy, the cards are pretty much the same except for the 7970 is in stock in most stores.

Quote:
    As for me trying to "advertise" the company I work for, I wouldnt call this advertising, as I did state "PERSONAL BUILD" not company build.

No reason to mention your affiliation with the company whatsoever then.

Quote:
    As for the thermaltake PSU, right now, it shighly underrated because most people do not own one. The beauty of this PSU is that the fan hardly ever turns on hence making it auper quiet. When it does turn on (during heavy load) it still never catches your ear.

Quality PSUs aren't loud either... ;)

I would never trust my $4k PC in the hands of a TT PSU.
  11. Quote:

Quality PSUs aren't loud either... ;)

I would never trust my $4k PC in the hands of a TT PSU.

I always visit Johnny Guru for PSU reviews; he really has nothing bad to say about them. What PSU do you recommend? I use to use a PC Power and Cooling, but the noise eventually forced me to change it out. I tried the Corsair AX1200, to loud. The Thermaltake is basically silent.
  12. If I were spending that kind of money, a brand-name Seasonic, Silverstone (although only particular high-end models) or a SuperFlower PSU would be going in my system.

Very few of PCP&C's PSUs are good units - their Silencer Mk II 750W and 950W units are Seasonics at heart. Haven't seen any of their Mk III units though.

How loud are your case fans? Anything over 30 dBA and you most likely can't hear the PSU unless you happen to have a unit with coil whine (happens to the best of them sometimes).
  13. You could have gotten much nicer components for less, but hey, as long as you are happy. I'd like to see how it turns out! :)
  14. boiler1990 said:
    If I were spending that kind of money, a brand-name Seasonic, Silverstone (although only particular high-end models) or a SuperFlower PSU would be going in my system.

Very few of PCP&C's PSUs are good units - their Silencer Mk II 750W and 950W units are Seasonics at heart. Haven't seen any of their Mk III units though.

How loud are your case fans? Anything over 30 dBA and you most likely can't hear the PSU unless you happen to have a unit with coil whine (happens to the best of them sometimes).

I was using this ... ebay shot lol
  15. boiler1990 said:
    If I were spending that kind of money, a brand-name Seasonic, Silverstone (although only particular high-end models) or a SuperFlower PSU would be going in my system.

This is my new build, yes you are seeing a 3870X2 in there lol... sold the 6990. I am waiting for either the 7990 or 690 to be released… almost done, just have to fix some wires and clean it up a bit.

I am using a 560 and 120 Black Ice SR-1 radiators. I find it amusing that my tag is elite2025 and have a similar build to member elite pcs lol. Small world! I am using silverstone fans at 60%, they are not audible.

the pump is overkill, just one of those things you have to have :D
  16. oh man i am in love with that case!!
  17. Elite2025 - That dual swifttech pump is really nice! How does it perform? Also, Im really liking your set up, very similar to mine!

I wonder how many people there are out there doing the same set up as us? I have only built 2 of the similar rigs for past clients. Im happy to see that your doing the same!

Kep it up man!

Boiler 1990 - I feel like your being very negative towards this thread. Some positive feedback would be nice and wouldnt hurt :)
  18. ok guys, lets just move on... boiler1990 is legit lol, at the end of the day we love this stuff.

Thanks Elite PC Designs.

Did someone from your company post a TJ11 build on YouTube?... I used a similar loop design for my build, with some slight changes.
  19. I dont mind the TT high end PSU's

I have a TT 1200w Tough Power modular in my build and is doing great. I also just sleeved the cables and it looks sweet. PSU is little over 18months old now.

Friend has a 1500w running 2600k + 6990 and WC'd it also does very well.
    absolutly no noise from the PSU at all.

id class this as super high end but not extreme.

Extreme would be Xeon or 3960k + 3 or 4x 7970 / 680's with waterblocked motherboard, CPU & video cards

nice build all the same, ill be watching this space.
  20. Hugostiglitz - I agree, this I guess isnt a extreme extreme build but its pretty high!

As for 4x 7970's, I dont even think there are any drivers out there for that lol but I like how you think, I'm gonna try it out one of these days

Heres a picture of my "semi finished" product

21. 4-way is absolute wastage IMO.7970 CF(2-way) is enough to max out any game and also run a nice eyefinity setup.and if you want to spend more than add a 9800gt as physx card.
  22. Hellfire - I've tried doing the 9800gt for a physics card method in the past, and there is a lot of compatibility issues, drivers to haywire
  23. Tri-CF scales better than dual-CF.
  24. azeem40 said:
    Tri-CF scales better than dual-CF.

but the scaling isn't worth the cost of the third gpu.
  25. I see cables, not happy
    Moto
  26. hellfire24 said:
    but the scaling isn't worth the cost of the third gpu.

Not in all cases is it not worth it. If you're a HUGE enthusiast running on 6 screens, it helps a lot. :P
  27. azeem40 said:
    Not in all cases is it not worth it. If you're a HUGE enthusiast running on 6 screens, it helps a lot. :P

that's not a "huge enthusiast",that's better known as foolishness and waste of money.
  28. Looks pretty nice but you definitely could have done better for that money. Oh well. Good job :P
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems