Strange power issue with DIY build from Newegg

ledude88

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Here's what it came with:

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX

GIGABYTE GA-880GM-D2H (REV. 3.1) AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Rosewill R519-BK Black Computer Case 500W Power Supply

My problem is that any movement of the case shuts off the power. Which was traced to the main power connector, which when moved slightly shuts off the power. Is this a motherboard or power supply problem?

Solution
They are the little screws that separate the motherboard from the case.
K62HgEsFN0KvzDuhtNO7eFVljtvSlt_fq02OSxJrstuVfO0vKpcoTD9tlECEdKHZTsHL1JRlete3l5LhEYbqpSm6-0XV82nxtjICP_5mj602uhkm-VUtaHYOProSj6kp1TMFgg8Tp5BkBdrF1QnIOIkvtSjgzRTmrm6A6SuIVr_23zLeKYgxZc05zmH35kLrNtOx2AQ
IT could be either or.

On one hand it could be the pins in the p1 connector to the PSU that doesn't like to be jostled around, or on the other it could be the motherboard doesn't like being jerked around. I'd RMA both of them if you don't have another known good power supply to check it out, since that seems to be the easiest solution. I assume you have all the motherboard standoffs in the case properly aligned so theres no chance of shorts.

Also, I'd consider spending maybe 40-60 bucks in a decent PSU, my guess is the DIY kit gave you a cheapo, they can lead to serious problems.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
If you attached the mobo directly to the case without the standoffs, you may want to discretely return the mobo (and possibly the PSU too). It's pretty likely you've damaged the components and, despite the fact that it may work fine now, it could suffer an early death.

Well the case might come with standoffs hard mounted in, I'm not sure on that case, some of the cheap ones do. So that might be why OP didn't use any.

Although, it seems quite easy to discretely return parts to newegg for sure. I discretely dropped my CPU on a granite table, and discretely bent most of the pins back and discretely told them that a shop told me the CPU was bad.. Got an advance RMA for it, and the return was discretely accepted.

Well, the board is mostly grounded via the Power supply, its always a good idea to use standoffs for additional grounding, but its not entirely necessary. There are plenty of enthusiasts out there who has custom modded wooden benches, and they don't have the standoffs grounded to anything.

5679d1242628582-wood-motherboard-tray-woodbench4.jpg

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Wait what... I never realized (but it now makes sense) that the mobo standoffs are actually there to ground the mobo to the case. That explains why theres little solder pads where the screw goes :).

I guess you learn something new everyday.

ledude88

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Because my old PC didn't have any when I scrapped it, I didn't know what they were and thus didn't use them. I put them in and haven't experienced the problem since.

Also, if I've damaged the components, about how long do you suppose I would have before an early death?