DVD->TV...will this work?

G

I want to play DVDs on my TV using the svideo TV-out of my video card.

The problem is that my TV is old and only has a coaxial (cable) input. I have a dumb S-video to RCA converter, and I know dumb RCA to coaxial converters exist, but if I put all this together, will it work? Or will it work and give really crappy quality?

(note: I know of a far more expensive way to do this using an RF-MODULATOR, that I know would work)

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
It should give you a "decent" picture. I've never been as impressed with the output of a DVD-Rom to TV as I have been with a regular player.

-- *Ding Ding* Knowledge for the clueless!!! --

speedracer

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2001
Keep in mind, no matter what cable you use (S-video, RCA) the quality will never match what you see on the PC. From my experience using the AIW 128 on my old system, when switching to TV-Out the system automatically changes the display to 640X480 at 60Hz (not sure of bit depth) which is either the best resolution a TV can display or a limitation of the video card (if I'm mistaken, someone please point it out). The DVD output on the TV in my opinion is still very good, definitely higher quality than VHS but not quite DVD quality. Please let us know how you make out, I'm very curious since I plan on doing the same thing.

Speedracer

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
NTSC Television signals which are what we use here in the U.S. are broadcast in 640x480. That's why a computer screen is so superior to a standard television CRT. The card is simply adjusting to the only resolution it can.

That aside, you may be suprised at how GOOD the image can be when you use your TV Out socket. Like I said, I've never been terribly impressed with the quality but it's certainly better than a broadcast TV signal or a VHS tape. The biggest drawback by far is the lack of a remote control and even if you have one it won't work if your computer is in another room.

The other drawbacks are cables running all over the house (unless you put the computer right next to the TV set) and occasionally I've found my DVD-Rom wouldn't display certain things correctly in the DVD menus on the TV screen. I've had to run back and forth between rooms to look at the computer screen to see what I'm about to select! My recommendation is to save $150 and buy a set-top DVD player.

-- *Ding Ding* Knowledge for the clueless!!! --

G

I was actually able to solve this problem without using the TV input at all. I noticed my VCR had a RCA input jacks and just used my S-video to RCA adapter with a long RCA cable.

Quality isn't great, but not too bad. About as good as a VHS tape, like you said.

The only thing I forgot about was sound. I would need a computer to RCA sound cable to use the TV sound. I am going to try and extend the reach of my PC speakers and subwoofer, though because they are far superior.

So the total cost was $13 bucks for a cable, which beats buying a set-top DVD player any day!

G

using a stand alone video player is the method I use to output dvd-rom to tv, I have to say I'm not all that impressed with the quality. What video card are you using?

I have been trying to figure out if the tv out on a gf2 is as good as a seperate tv out card. Have to upgrade to one or both shortly.