Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Dual Boot XP and Windows 7 (each) on TWO Individual Hard Drives

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 23, 2012 1:49:15 AM

I've read everything I can find on dual boot XP and Win 7 on seperate drives nothing seems to directly address my particular situation, i.e., Win 7 came preinstalled on a new computer but I still wanted to run my older XP drive on the same computer with everything already installed. No luck so far in accomplishing this. I setup a dual boot menu option but it doesn't work, tried disconnecting the Win 7 disc but no luck Tried the F12 trick still no luck Is there a solution for this situation?
Thanks for any insight. I know I am overlooking something basic but it totally eludes me.
April 23, 2012 2:09:28 AM

FSteven said:
I've read everything I can find on dual boot XP and Win 7 on seperate drives nothing seems to directly address my particular situation, i.e., Win 7 came preinstalled on a new computer but I still wanted to run my older XP drive on the same computer with everything already installed. No luck so far in accomplishing this. I setup a dual boot menu option but it doesn't work, tried disconnecting the Win 7 disc but no luck Tried the F12 trick still no luck Is there a solution for this situation?
Thanks for any insight. I know I am overlooking something basic but it totally eludes me.



I used to have this issue all the time back when I ran both XP and Vista. Sadly, the way Windows 7 bootloads changed after Vista. I used to have a program that allowed me to edit the bootloader, but the name of that program escapes me. Anyways, what you need to do is plug in both HDD and allow which ever windows boots up to load.

Once you are running windows, run a program such as this: http://www.sysprobs.com/free-gui-boot-loader-editor-win...

This program will allow you to edit what BIOS sees when your computer turns on, and lets you edit if BIOS should give you the option to select with OS you want to run. If this program does not work (I think this is the one I used but its been a couple of years), just do a google search for "editing Windows 7 bootloader". But the key to take away from this, it has to be set up while you are actually running windows.
m
0
l

Best solution

April 23, 2012 8:15:05 AM

Windows XP requires configuration during installation. It creates an interface with your hardware called the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL).

Your "older XP drive on the same computer with everything already installed." will not work.

Because it's a new computer and Win XP is an old OS, it can't really configure itself properly to your system, it doesn't know how. You might bypass some of that by slipstreaming, but even that might not be adequate.

Or better yet, install XP as a virtual machine within win 7.

Share
Related resources
May 3, 2012 3:24:06 AM

Proximon said:
Windows XP requires configuration during installation. It creates an interface with your hardware called the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL).

Your "older XP drive on the same computer with everything already installed." will not work.

Because it's a new computer and Win XP is an old OS, it can't really configure itself properly to your system, it doesn't know how. You might bypass some of that by slipstreaming, but even that might not be adequate.

Or better yet, install XP as a virtual machine within win 7.


Your answer, although disheartning seems to be the most probalble. I would really like to just run the "old" drive on the new computer but if that is not possible then I guess I will just have to live with it. So now I am faced with wiping the old drive and reinstalling XP and all the programs I wish to run on it. Exactly what is the best procedure?
Thanks!!
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 9:59:16 AM

Look up nLite and slipstreaming... but also check out the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer. If they aren't supplying XP drivers for the hardware you are certainly out of luck.

You can always make the process less painful with the XP Setting transfer wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293118

m
0
l
May 18, 2012 1:28:49 AM

Best answer selected by FSteven.
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 2:07:10 AM

FSteven said:
Your answer, although disheartning seems to be the most probalble. I would really like to just run the "old" drive on the new computer but if that is not possible then I guess I will just have to live with it. So now I am faced with wiping the old drive and reinstalling XP and all the programs I wish to run on it. Exactly what is the best procedure?
Thanks!!


Just a note, windows 7 was designed to run all XP programs. Install the program and then right click the desktop shortcut icon (exe app) to "properties" then to "compatability" and tell it to run the program for "Windows XP service pack 2 (or 3)". There are very few programs that won't work with win 7.

If you want a previous version of any OS (ie Xp or window Vista or 7) to run with a new computer,you will be able to accomplish this ONLY if the new motherboard has the same chipset as the previous Chipset on your old mainboard (you have to look that up per motherboard). Even then you should reload any needed drivers AND you will have to re-activate the OS product once installed using the windows activation number on the side of your old computer. Good luck.
m
0
l
!