Sign in with
Your question

Under 1 grand build, thoughts, suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
April 23, 2012 2:13:00 AM

I built a gaming rig that is under 1000$ for my birthday, I need advice as to if there is anything I should swap or get different, I am adding the 1 Terabyte Harddrive as a second one if anybody is wondering. Games I would like to play, Starcraft, BF3, and any newer games coming out.
Thanks! (this will be the first time I am building a PC from scratch, I have however, upgraded one.
Here is my build, I have a keyboard, monitor, headset, mouse, and soundcard so I don't need any of those.
Grand total for this build is 951$
April 23, 2012 3:15:36 AM

Well I hope you are waiting for ivy bridge.. And if you want performance graphics card to go with a z77 mobo and IB, get a radeon 7xxx series card like the 7850, better than a 6870, worth the extra. Here is a cheaper 1tb hdd:
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Intern...

Getting the newer graphics card on a z77 is more beneficial with newer games to come out. Other than that it looks great, i'd suggest looking around at adds because memory is always going on sale for 8gb 1600 ddr3 for like $30.
m
l
Related resources
April 23, 2012 3:18:26 AM

seanmcd91 said:
Well I hope you are waiting for ivy bridge.. And if you want performance graphics card to go with a z77 mobo and IB, get a radeon 7xxx series card like the 7850, better than a 6870, worth the extra. Here is a cheaper 1tb hdd:
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Intern...

Getting the newer graphics card on a z77 is more beneficial with newer games to come out. Other than that it looks great, i'd suggest looking around at adds because memory is always going on sale for 8gb 1600 ddr3 for like $30.

I'd like to see how you came to the conclusion that a Z77 motherboard makes gaming better.
Ivy Bridge gives nothing performance-wise to gamers. It is a minimal 1-2% increase. If thoseguy wants to build now, sure he can grab it now and it will be just as good as the IB replacement.
m
l
April 23, 2012 3:31:58 AM

darkclownjoe said:
I'd like to see how you came to the conclusion that a Z77 motherboard makes gaming better.
Ivy Bridge gives nothing performance-wise to gamers. It is a minimal 1-2% increase. If thoseguy wants to build now, sure he can grab it now and it will be just as good as the IB replacement.

Lets see, it utilizes newer technology with ivy bridge (which supports pci3 and usb3), it has 2 pci 3.0 slots (ao gpu commincates faster) its just more future proof so +1. Why go with an older board when IB is about to come out??

sorry misread you already built op... haha got side tract when i was looking at the wish list
m
l
April 23, 2012 3:41:56 AM

Alright. Let's see.
1. Ivy bridge CPUs are compatible with most SB motherboards.
2. USB 3.0 is supported on SB motherboards, although not natively.
3. Graphics cards don't even utilize the full PCI-E 2.0 slots. PCI-E 3.0 is just a sales ploy at this point in time.
4. It makes sense to save money instead of buying a "newer" technology for more, when it promises no real performance gains.
m
l
!