logic28

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Hi,
I need to install 2 PCI x 16 graphic cards in SLI mode on my Tyan K8WE S2895 MOB so that I can start editing 2 K files from my new RED Scarlet X.
However I will be working quite a lot with compositing programs such Eyeon Fusion as well as some modest work on Newtek Lightwave.

I am not familiar enough with graphic cards and I don’t want to make the mistake to over-engineer my server but, on the other end, I don’t want to cut corners and I will use a 2560 x 1600 monitor for viewing the material.

So!!! 1 or 2 GB memory ? (don’t know where it comes in. Is it mostly for 3D?)
Game oriented cards or not ? (what makes a game oriented card better than standard one?)
If Nvidia, GT or GTX models?
All in all I am totally lost. Please HELP !
Any suggestion is well appreciated.
Mauro Andreini

spagalicious

Distinguished
Graphics are important but so is the processor. I've also heard having ssd and hard drives in RAID help too. What are your server specs? And whats your price range for a card? Workstation cards will obviously run you alot more but often prove to be more efficient when it comes to encoding and editing. But a higher end card should suffice.

logic28

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Hi,
I need to install 2 PCI x 16 in graphic cards SLI mode on my Tyan K8WE S2895 MOBO so that I can start editing 2 K files from my new RED Scarlet X.
However I will also be working quite a lot with compositing programs such Eyeon Fusion as well as some modest work on Newtek Lightwave.

I am not familiar enough with graphic cards and I don’t want to make the mistake of over-engineering my server but, on the other end, I don’t want to cut corners and I will be using a 2560 x 1600 monitor for viewing the material as well as 2/3 more standard monitors for the workflow.

So!!! 1 or 2 GB card ? (don’t know where it comes in. Is it mostly for 3D?)
Game oriented cards or not ? (what makes a game oriented card better than standard one?)
If Nvidia, GT or GTX models?
All in all I am totally lost. Please HELP !
Any suggestion is well appreciated. :)

Mauro Andreini

Tyan K8WE S2895
2 x dual core 2.6 GHZ
4 GB Ram
8 x SCSI raid 0
4 x SATA II Raid 0
XP 32

logic28

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Tyan K8WE S2895

This is what I am using now:

2 x dual core 2.6 GHZ
4 GB Ram
8 x SCSI raid 0
4 x SATA II Raid
XP 32

aznplayer213

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
as an editor with some light compositing, i recommend you focus more on processor than the gpu. it is well worth it to get a fast i7 then a super fast graphics card. if you are looking for a card you can either wait for kepler or use a 560ti or 570 for editing work. honestly, having a hyper threaded intel i7 help my work load greatly.

logic28

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Thank you for your reply,

I will at some point move on to a fresh machine but I have a custom made one that I want to keep on using and for that I need two graphic cards that won’t be below the machine itself (but not above).

That is why I posted here in the hope that someone will advise me for the best but not more than it deserves.
I understand that a 2 x dual core processor is a little overdue but it is a strong server and it has 3 independent PCI express buses (2x 100 1x 133) plus the two for Graphics.

It never clogs up with video streams (at least not so far) like some more modern machines with smaller buses.