I5 3570k vs i7 3770k

Hello, guys:

I'm getting a new rig, and I will primarily be using it for gaming (Skyrim, Crysis 2, future games, etc...), rendering (Blender, maybe more advanced program in the future), and usual stuff such as web surfing. Have read lots of reviews on the two, and for gaming, many say that the i5 is good, but for rendering on certain programs, they say i7. I'm wondering which one I should choose in the end. I'll also appreciate some advice on what other stuff to get, but here's my current planned build:

CPU: i5 3570k/i7 3770k
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z77
RAM: 8 gigs
HDD: Seagate 1TB 3.5"
PSU: 600-700 w Corsair
GPU: Asus GTX 560 ti Oc (for now)

Thanks!
13 answers Last reply
More about 3570k 3770k
  1. i7 3770k is better
  2. For gaming, and future gaming, theres no point in the i7 at all. Games still for the most part are not utilizing the 4 physical cores of a quad CPU, let alone the virtual ones of the i7. By the time this happens, the i7-3770K will be long outdated (if it happens at all).

For the other stuff like rendering, honestly the i5 is powerful enough to do this for the casual user.

You'd be better off spending that money in a stronger video card than the 560 TI.
  3. deffo get the i5.
  4. i7 for sure man, there is no big difference price wise.
  5. You won't notice a difference between the two when gaming or browsing.

Most people say the i7 is the i5 with hyperthreading which is good for things like video editing and photoshop but you aren't going to notice
    a difference in games.
  6. History repeats itself.Back in 2009 when the Phenom II X2 came out, everybody said it's just as good as the Phenom II X4 for gaming.And for that time it was.But now you'd be stupid to buy a Phenom II X2.This happened with the Core 2 Quad's too...
    I mean that more cores does make a processor more future proof.Sure games dont use them now but they will start to in the future.And if you can buy a 77 over a i5 do it!
  7. better putting the money diffrence between them on a better gfx card.
  8. Kamen_BG said:
    History repeats itself.Back in 2009 when the Phenom II X2 came out, everybody said it's just as good as the Phenom II X4 for gaming.And for that time it was.But now you'd be stupid to buy a Phenom II X2.This happened with the Core 2 Quad's too...
    I mean that more cores does make a processor more future proof.Sure games dont use them now but they will start to in the future.And if you can buy a 77 over a i5 do it!

Honestly for the average user a C2D is plenty :sweat:
  9. Kamen_BG said:
    History repeats itself.Back in 2009 when the Phenom II X2 came out, everybody said it's just as good as the Phenom II X4 for gaming.And for that time it was.But now you'd be stupid to buy a Phenom II X2.This happened with the Core 2 Quad's too...

but in that time period, that was using physical cores as a difference(its like comparing a Pentium G to an i5 modern days). the difference between an i5 and an i7 is not core, but hyper threading, which has been attempted by games to be utilized, only to fail for the most part, some saying that it actually decreased performance. an i5 is 4 real cores, the i7 is 4 real cores + hyper threading for each core.
  10. I say stay away from any ivy cpu and this is why:

http://giatrakis.wix.com/john-giatrakis#!home/mainPage
  11. Kamen_BG said:

Games are just starting to make the transition from using 2 cores to 4 cores, any more than 4 isn't going to be necessary for gaming for quite awhile.
  12. Games aren't going to use HyperThreading until they start coding them in more modern programming languages that know what a HyperThread is, much less how to use it. Don't count on it happening anytime soon. It just plain isn't going to anytime soon. Consoles dictate the gaming market.
  13. qakers said:
    Games are just starting to make the transition from using 2 cores to 4 cores, any more than 4 isn't going to be necessary for gaming for quite awhile.

Quite right. It took about eight years from the introduction of the first dual-core CPUs for games to start making reasonable use of dual cores so I would not be too surprised if it took another eight years for typical games to start leveraging quads to a significant extent.

Most games today benefit from quads mainly due to reduced context switches and OS/background stuff running on spare cores that the game itself has no use for.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Intel i5