When are new intel CPUs going retail ?

drednoxx

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Hi

I cant find a schedule when next CPUs and Chipsets from Intel are going to hit the market. I will be putting together a new system soon and would like to take advantage of the price drops when the next gen hardware hits the store shelves. Specifically Intel Ivy bridge CPUs, chipsets (mobos), possibly GPUs.

Would greatly appreciate some info on the schedule for these.

Thanks

drednoxx

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Got it, but I should have been more specific with my question.

What I meant to ask is when the next Ivys will be out, for example, i5 2500K, and now i5 3570K. When if at all is there a schedule for an i5 4500K series ? or the equivalent thereof ?

Thank You

InvalidError

Titan

If Intel continues their current numbering scheme, 4xxx will be Haswell except maybe IB-E which might come out as i7-48xx/49xx.

If there are any more IB i5, they will be 35xx/36xx.

drednoxx

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
OK, so other then the possible i3 in the fall there is nothing scheduled at this time pertaining to the i5 and i7 series ?

Just double checking, because it would suck to spend money on CPU only to have a huge price drop 2-3 weeks or a month later, as I have done in the past :(

An i5-4500k would mean another generation after Ivy Bridge. That's not going to happen.

Haswell will be Intel's next generation CPU after Ivy Bridge. It will be a major design change rather than incremental improvements like Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge. Whether or not Intel will continue with the current name convention remains to be seen; i.e. a Haswell quad core CPU as "Core i5-4570k".

That won't even really happen when Haswell is released. Intel very rarely drops prices much (certainly not by a "huge" amount). If there are price drops, they're just sales from different retailers (like the great deals MicroCenter has been having on 2500K's) and not permanent price drops for ALL retailers.

InvalidError

Titan

There has not been many significant price drops in Intel's camp in several years. The cycle of new products and price slashes has largely ended after Intel jumped ahead of AMD's performance with Core2's introduction. Since then, most Intel chips have been discontinued at almost the same price they were introduced so waiting for price drops on Intel CPUs has become largely pointless.

The CPU market is becoming a commodity and Intel has no interest in dropping CPU prices lower than they already have unless AMD somehow forces their hand, which seems highly unlikely.