Sign in with
Your question

Power problems :(

Last response: in Components
August 5, 2012 3:13:58 PM

can i use a winpower ATX-700L 700w psu with my asrock alivenf6g-dvi and my phenom x4 9950 and xfx radion 4870x2 with 2 hdd and a dvd drive and 4 case fan's 2 with led's i only ask because i just blew up my last psu :fou:  trying to install my gpu i was advised before hand i would be pushing my 550w psu to braking point but relay what's the use in having a psu that wont run my gpu thank's for all you'r help over my first build i relay don't no what i would do without u'z folk's at tom's hardware :D 

More about : power problems

a c 248 ) Power supply
August 5, 2012 3:32:05 PM

The Winpower 700 watt power supply is an HEC model. HEC was not known for high quality power supplies. When they first entered the business they had a reputation for low budget psu's of questionable performance and value. They were bashed quite a bit. HEC did try to improve their psu's and they did in fact make some improvements. The Winpower series was supposed to be an improved series. During the past six years they made some additional improvements to the Winpower models. If you have a new version of the psu, then it will probably be adequate for your system.
August 5, 2012 3:41:49 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
The Winpower 700 watt power supply is an HEC model. HEC was not known for high quality power supplies. .

the problem being that i am on a very tight budget and found the winpower 700 new for £15.99 on e bay i would relay love a modular psu. this is the one i am talking about http://c-mos.co.uk/images/thumbnails/0/300/300/product_... it is the atx-700l model i am unsure if it is the older one or the newer thank's for you'r quick reply johnny :) 
Related resources
August 5, 2012 4:31:11 PM

so there is a good chance that it will blow to? do u think if i strip my system back a bit say just keep my 2 hdd's and not do any gameing in high i could use it till i save for a month? thank's for the info i am pritty gutted as i thought i had it sorted i am not verry clued up on psu's
a c 248 ) Power supply
August 5, 2012 5:00:50 PM

I'm can't predict whether it will blow up or not. Keeping the load down should help while you save for a better psu.

I recommend SeaSonic, Corsair, and XFX. All three companies have reputations for consistently offering high quality psu's. I maintain a database of recommended power supplies:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-supplies/psu-recommend...

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews. I only link to reviews performed by sites that have the proper equipment and people to conduct rigorous testing and in-depth analysis of components.
August 5, 2012 5:09:01 PM

Personally, I wouldn't trust a 16 pound power supply. Do not cheap on a good power supply.
August 5, 2012 5:19:45 PM

i have allredy bought it davidY n johnny thanks i will use that :) 
August 5, 2012 5:24:58 PM

i don't relay no what kinda amp's i need to run my system johnny could you give me a ruff ider what i am going to need
a c 248 ) Power supply
August 5, 2012 5:53:32 PM

AMD recommends a 650 watt or greater power supply with one 6-pin PCI-e power cable and one 8-pin PCI-e power cable for a desktop gaming rig with one 4870x2

For a desktop gaming rig with two 4870x2 cards operating in CrossFireX AMD recommends at least a 1,000 watt power supply with two 6-pin and two 8-pin PCI-e power cables.

That is a lot of power. Newer video cards are much more efficient.

A good quality 650 watt power supply will have a a single large +12V rail rated at about 54 amps or so. Some psu's might have mutiple +12V rails with each rail being rated lower.

Some people think that you can simply add the amperage for each +12Volt rail and come up with a grand total. That is incorrect. The total combined amperage for multiple +12V rails will actually be less. It will actually be about the same as for a single large +12V rail. Think of it as a little bit of flexibility in power distribution.

There are pro and cons for single large rails and multiple rails. In addition, some of the power supplies advertising multiple rails may not be true mutiple rails. Instead they may be hybrids with what may be thought of as virtual rails. It just depends on the design.
August 5, 2012 6:14:04 PM

thank's johnny :D 
August 13, 2012 8:53:35 PM

DavidY said:
Kinda late for commenting on a PS after it's been purchased?

Here's a good quality 650W PS by XFX Core Edition Pro Series (Seasonic) for 65 pounds including VAT:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...

thank's davidY do you not rate the thermaltake 750w modular? and i seen it on e bay with 2 min's to go so jumped in without much research probably a bad move on my part but hay hoe ;) 
August 13, 2012 8:59:06 PM

chrissymoe said:
thank's davidY do you not rate the thermaltake 750w modular? and i seen it on e bay with 2 min's to go so jumped in without much research probably a bad move on my part but hay hoe ;) 

See if there is a review on your particular model here: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page680.htm

Thermaltake has had mixed reviews on their models.
!