Sign in with
Your question

Finished build, but need help with issues.

Last response: in Systems
April 23, 2012 6:10:03 AM

Ok, to make things short and simple.

1) only one of the four 3TB hdds installed in system appear in windows and none show in bios. ssd and bluray drive work fine.
2) Boot time takes forever. takes 30-60 seconds to pass the EUFI screen and then 1-2 minutes to finish loading windows and let me login.

here is my build setup http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx..." target="_blank"> Wishlist [/url

I read through the troubleshooting post and the only things that apply to me is that cpu fan is not plugged into the motherboard, but rather the fan controller in the case. the thermal paste was applied as a dot in the center rather than a horizontal line as arctic silver apparently recommends for i7 extreme processors.

Any help is appreciated.

Also if my ram is advertised as 2133 ram, does it have to be overclocked to get to that speed?

More about : finished build issues

April 23, 2012 6:36:54 AM

Plug the cpu fan in to the motherboard

No one makes processors with 2133 MHz memory controllers so yes to hit that speed you have to OC

m
l
April 23, 2012 7:24:03 AM

dctravis said:
Ok, to make things short and simple.

1) only one of the four 3TB hdds installed in system appear in windows and none show in bios. ssd and bluray drive work fine.

here is my build setup http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx..." target="_blank"> Wishlist [/url

I read through the troubleshooting post and the only things that apply to me is that cpu fan is not plugged into the motherboard, but rather the fan controller in the case. the thermal paste was applied as a dot in the center rather than a horizontal line as arctic silver apparently recommends for i7 extreme processors.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/309049-10-remove-th...). " target="_blank">

Please check if all the hardware are seated properly. It could easily be a loose connection. Remove and reconnect the HDD if necessary.

Arctic website gives a nice guide for applying the thermal compound. You do not want to damage your processor by a poor thermal paste application. If you are going to reapply, please remove the existing thermal paste completely (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/309049-10-remove-th...).
m
l
Related resources
May 1, 2012 7:29:49 PM

OK, CPU fans are plugged into cpufan_1 and cpufan_2 slots on MOBO and can see all fan info using the fatality software. All hardware is definitely seated properly as well as recognized by the system with correct specifications. Cycled through the HDDs by plugging only one into the motherboard on the same sata port, booting up, and then shutting down and trying the next. When this was finished I found that only 1/4 were correctly recognized by my computer and the other three were DOA. I spoke with Seagate customer support and they said that everything that I told them that I had done implied that the drives simply were defective. The drives have been shipped back to Newegg for replacement. Also I reinstalled windows 7 on the SSD as IDE instead of AHCI. My computer now only takes about 5-6 seconds to get past the motherboard selection screen and about 7 seconds to get to the windows login screen :D .

I have not reapplied the thermal paste as I cannot remove the heatsink due to stripped screws and am unsure as to how to go about removing it... Cooling seems to be effective, standard usage yields a temperature of 34C/93F with no overclocking which I would assume is normal for my processor and this cooler as I have seen temperatures of around 51C with my processor overclocked to around 4.8GHz so it sounds right to me.
Thanks for all the help and if anybody has any input for my stripped screw dilemma please feel free to give any knowledge.
m
l
May 2, 2012 12:55:32 AM

Thanks, I saw in the second link the rubber bank idea. That might work. I really dont want to remove it if it is working fine for the moment. I figure once I want to remove and replace the solder later down the road I will try this and before I do it I will purchase some replacement parts from phantek. I could try the soldering method or the dremel/drill method, but those kind of scare me with the inside of my $3600 computer... Just the thought of metal shavings all over my motherboard or inside sockets makes me cringe [The feeling of getting hit repeatedly in the testicles by soccer balls comes to mind]... Thanks a lot for your help though.

Now I just need to figure out the best ways or values for overclocking my CPU and GPUs...
m
l
May 2, 2012 7:17:11 AM

dctravis said:
I could try the soldering method or the dremel/drill method, but those kind of scare me with the inside of my $3600 computer... Just the thought of metal shavings all over my motherboard or inside sockets makes me cringe

Now I just need to figure out the best ways or values for overclocking my CPU and GPUs...

I would remove all the hardware (as much as possible) and keep them on anti-static wraps / anti-static matt, just to protect them, if you were to venture that route. May be you will be fine after the replacement drives. Good luck and let's know how you got on.

I do not think there is a real performance gain in over clocking the GPU. You may OC the CPU once you fix the current problem.
m
l
May 10, 2012 5:26:08 PM

oh how it hates me... my new hdds came in the mail so i shut it down, discinnected thr power source and touched nothing but the sata cables that were already connected to the psu and mobo. Connectedthem and tried to boot up. I recieved the normal beep and the windows login sound but no signal for the monitor. I removed the hdds including the one that worked initially so that only the ssd was connected. Same issue... i then made sure ram, gpus, power connectors and everything else was in all the way. Now it posts and gets tk bios. But whe. Starting windows it blue screens before login when the light circles get about the furthest apart from each other (meszage below). Windows is reinstalling now, im hoping that it was just the multiple hard shutdowns that just corrupted the os and not something else.

Stop: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A98E8, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x00000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)
m
l
May 11, 2012 12:55:49 AM

ok, reinstalled windows 7 64bit ultimate and now have windows successfully booting up and all 4 hdds recognized!!! YAY!!! Hopefully there is an issue that is in the backround right now awaiting to annoy once again. Thanks to all of you guys for your feedback in multiple threads.
m
l
!