Desktop wont boot - black screen

solomanii

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Hello,
I've had my desktop computer for about two years now. Its a homebuilt PC and here are the specs:

i7 920
GA-X58-UD7
DDR3/1333 2 gig stick x2
Logitech G19 Keyboard
SSD 256 HD

After coming back from holidays it will no longer turn on and boot up. The power button lights up. The DVD drive lights up and still opens, and a few lights on the motherboard light up as normal.
The screen is blank and the monitor doesn't wake up from sleep. All of the fans spin except the CPU fan which spins a few times then stops.

As far as starting up goes, everything sounds normal. No beeps or clicks to hint at harddrive failure. After dozens of reboots it usually boots and so long as I don't restart it it will stay up. Though I caught it rebooting this morning repeatedly not able to get passed the bios screen checks - no errors, it just reboots. Not sure how long it was in this state.

I have done the usual experimentation of adding/removing components reducing it to minimum of no ram (computer screams) or just 1 stick (black screen as above or boots). I do know one of the RAM sockets is busted as any RAM I put into that slot causes the PC to scream. Removing/adding components doesn't give me any consistent results. Sometimes I do nothing and it boots, sometimes I need to strip it to bare minimum and it boots and everything in between.

In my experience this is normally a RAM problem but I have tried different RAM sticks (bought some new ones) in different sockets and it seems to make no difference. Since one of the RAM sockets seems broken I am starting to think its the motherboard itself.

Any advice before I experiment and get a new motherboard?

Thanks in advance.

solomanii

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I don't but now it just gets caught at the post bios screen and the power just seems to cut out. As if someone has hit the off switch and gets caught in that loop. Will get a new psu and see if that fixes the issue. Thanks for the hint.

TRENDING THREADS