Will I need to clean the CPU?

Tcshad

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Hey all, I'm building an Ivy Bridge set up very soon, and overclocking the I5-3570k with a CM Hyper 212 Evo cooler.
I was watching a few videos on how to set up this precise cooler, and a lot have mentioned cleaning the CPU with rubbing alcohol because of uninstalling the original heatsink.
However, buying the CPU new, it will be clean right?
Also, is the thermal paste CM provide good enough to use for overclocking, or am I going to have to spend money on better thermal paste (Really tight budget)

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
You will not need to clean it, and the CM goo that comes with the cooler is more than adequate.

source: Myself 6x core 3.8ghz phenom II = 50degC (!!) for prime95 for 15 minutes with bundled goo.

Congrats you have a really good CPU cooler there :)

Tcshad

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Thanks for the answer, and yeah, I'm sacrificing a GPU to get a good CPU, I'm gonna get a decent GPU at like Christmas or something :p
It should fit in the 7.6-7.7inch wide NZXT Source 210 Elite case right? :)

You don't have to clean it, but I recommend that you do. Use either rubbing alcohol or electronic contact cleaner. The contact cleaner is better and can be bought at most automotive shops for around 5 bucks. Be careful though, it's strong stuff

Tcshad

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Ahh okay, I'm sure I'll be able to find something before I build, I'm going to be buying as soon as ivybridge comes out here in the UK.
Will any CoolerMaster 120mm fan fit on the Hyper 212 Evo (for a push pull system) with the brackets supplied?

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Will any CoolerMaster 120mm fan fit on the Hyper 212 Evo (for a push pull system) with the brackets supplied?

Uncertain, should stick with CM fan to make certain, only difference is 2-3 DegC mind

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103069

It should fit in the 7.6-7.7inch wide NZXT Source 210 Elite case right?

No personal experience, but according to internet, it should. You may have to run with the side panel fan however. Do you have heatsinks on your RAM? Watch out for overhang from the cooler hitting your higher RAM modules.

I would highly suggest finding out dimesions of 212 evo, and making cardboard cutout of it, lay your computer down, and put it into your case, find out where it might hit/get in way of other componets. Time and labour intensive, but worth it in the long run!