Losing Connection to the Network

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Hello!

I have been having a bit of problem that I have been noticing over the past few years with my home network. When I connect a fair amount (around 4) of running electronics that use the network (PCs, XBox360, ect.) either new connections cannot be established or the internet shuts down completely for everything. We end up having to disconnect something that isn't being used at that moment to get the connection back, and usually that either requires a restart of the OS or more commonly resetting the IP Address of the system(s). My question to you is would this be a problem with my ISP limiting the number of devices I have connected to the internet, something to do with my Firewall settings, or would it be because theres so much data being streamed (we don't download much) over CAT5 that for more devices to be used CAT6 would fix that problem? In the near future I will be setting up a NAS system on the network so would CAT6 be better for that as well?

In total, the number of devices that I would like to have that would be connected to our network would be around 8-10 at one time, providing that is possible on a home network.

I have Comcast (Philadelphia) and the speeds to browse and download and upload are actually pretty good, had a d/l at 4MB/s one time.

Also, I tend to get disconnected randomly from the main PC I use a lot and I just either reset my adapter (onboard) or unplug both cables from the hub and then plug them back in and it restores the connection, not sure why.