6870 artifacting for no reason

So, interestingly enough my twin frozr 2 6870 just randomly started hating on me and im not sure why

I've had this card for about 3-4 months now and all of a sudden one day in the middle of a game the game artifacts and it crashes to desktop, I figure ok its probably a bug in that game, So I go to chrome and try to google but then that artifacts also and wont stop until after a reset

One of the times my BSOD was 116 the other time it was 101, next was 3b, next f4

All of them seem to point to NTOSKRNL.exe

if not that then its: ATIKMPAG.SYS, DXGKRN.SYS, DXGMMS1.SYS

So I reinstalled my drivers from 11.10 to 12.1 of course in between the installs I booted into safemode and while there ran driver sweeper.

I also noticed that an "Nvidia - Physx" entry was there... is that for software/cpu physx or is that the actual driver for some reason?

My system is extremely well ventilated my procs max is 35c and gpu is 55-60c max

System specs:
Athlon 2 x3 445
4g DDR2
random ASRock mobo
antec 500D 500w PSU
6870 Twin Frozr 2

(also why am I getting random fps lag spikes on BF3 multiplayer even playing it on medium with no AA and occlusions off?)

After about 15 minutes in Furmark the max it got was 80c, in games its a bit lower since my proc is holding me back quite a bit :)

Nope nothing is overclocked, and I doubt its a power issue since I don't think capacitor aging will spring up out of the blue. doesn't degradation normally take years? the power supply is fairly new (about a year if that)

Now that I think about it the only thing I really did in between the mess ups was reinstall MPC-HC and CCCP (I also installed Darkness 2 but im fairly certain this started before that.)

also driver reinstallation seemed to have helped a little, before it was about 25mins till BSOD now I can get through about an hour

Here is a bit more for us to go over, I just uninstalled physx, (ran driver sweeper in safemode aswell) proceeded to play a BF3 multiplayer match (well 2 of em, both around 30mins, 60 mins total) game seemed fine (besides looking crap on medium)

I was getting tired of that server so I exited went to choose a new one then its loading for like 5 minutes and my ui trips out saying your display driver has recovered, etc etc etc.

maybe another faulty driver install?

aw jeez, meant to edit, sorry.

confish21

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
In my experience, and its my machine, I'll just do a complete "mulligan". Throw everything u want on a stick, Rest cmos, format drives (dont have to...), install windows (u got disks right?), drivers/updates... keep everything factory... you know the drill.

Kinda extreme but its faster than searching on the web for an hour or two. This might help you pin point a hardware problem too but I doubt its that.

That seems like a huge PITA as I don't have enough storage to move my files, 1 120g + 1 320 and half a 1tb is filled up D:

confish21

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

Don't format then. Make a Windows.old file when u install windows. Everything will be there. This wont be a perfectly "clean" install but it basically is.

Ok, just tried playing today after uninstalling physx, I was able to play for 3 hours before it crashed :)

And yeah I'll check if the card needs a good cleaning, brb will update with results.

(also 99% of my crashes dont produce a BSOD, its just a crash to desktop + something like this picture just not that severe) http://i.imgur.com/hccuB.jpg

Update, checked and no dust, well some just barely noticeable and not an issue, cleaned it off anywho though.

Just a minor update, for some reason I don't see chipset drivers in driver sweeper

There is an intel chipset driver but when I hit analyse there is nothing in it.

No presence of an AMD chipset driver though D:

Any idea why this is, should I try reinstalling it?

Edit: after a google search it seems it wasn't implimented for whatever reason, anywho don't mind my ramblings

Crashed again after about 2 hours of BF3 on medium/high, I wonder if certain settings will make it crash more often... hmm, putting this theory to the test :)

Edit2: ran 30 minute furmark, max settings, 8xmsaa @ 1920 x 1080 max temp was 81c, cpu never broke 30c

Yeah i forgot to update that post, there aren't any intel chipset drivers, for some reason the program lists all the drivers it supports, if you hit analyse there are no entries.

And yes I got rid of the physx driver which seemingly installed itself when I installed a game for some unknown reason... meh

uninstalled the latest drivers, installed 11.12 will update in a few hours.