Old Silverstone SG01E -- Can I slap a modern motherboard in it?

PRT940

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
I'm getting ready to build a new SFF computer, and just bought a Silverstone SG08 case for it. But I'd also like to upgrade my old box (SG01E) with some more modern parts as a backup. Is there any reason I couldn't put a modern motherboard and CPU in the SG01E? It's got a 500 watt power supply. Thanks for any help.

PRT940

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
The power supply is an ENERMAX ELT500AWT 500 watt. I'm thinking of going with either the (EDIT - my original message listed mini-ITX motherboards and the SG01E is a micro-ATX case - I ended up going with the ASRock H77M micro-ATX motherboard). Probably the Ivy Bridge i5-3570K for the processor (it has lower power requirements than a Sandy Bridge CPU, right?). The best low-cost, low-power video card I can find, or just leave the Radeon HD 5750 that's in it already. 4-8GB of RAM. I may leave the current hard drives (1 120GB SDD, 1 1TB WD drive). That's where I'm at so far.

I see no reason for that not to work(the power supply is rated at 384 watts @ 12 volts). As long as you are not planning lots of overclocking and the power supply delivers what it says, it should be just fine.

Your cpu takes less power then last gen's cpus.
If you keep the 5750, well that thing sips power.
The asus board has a nice layout for bigger cpu coolers(cpu socket not so close to the video card).