help: Problems of Nikon SB800 flash on Nikon D70

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 24, 2005 4:14:34 AM

Hi I bought a new SB800 to use on my D70. I found the following
problems. I went through the manual and cannot find solutions:

1) The "power zoom" of the flash is always canceled even though I set
it to "ON" in custom settings. The little "M" is always on the SB800
LCD. I use a set of prime lenses, no matter what lense I use, it was
set to 14mm, the widest zoom.

2) When the flash is on, it always flash three times before the final
full-power flash after I pushed the shutter. It seems that SB800 is
using that three flash to test the settings, but it takes too much time
before I can take the picture. Is there anyway to disable that? I used
Nikon SB28 on my F100 and never have to wait so long to take photos.

Thanks!
Yi
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:27:31 PM

Yi Chen wrote:

> Hi I bought a new SB800 to use on my D70. I found the following
> problems. I went through the manual and cannot find solutions:
>
> 1) The "power zoom" of the flash is always canceled even though I set
> it to "ON" in custom settings. The little "M" is always on the SB800
> LCD. I use a set of prime lenses, no matter what lense I use, it was
> set to 14mm, the widest zoom.

If the display says 14mm it implies you have the diffuser fitted. The
SB-800 won't zoom in that situation. Another situation where it won't zoom
is if the built in wide angle adaptor is in use.

If your prime lenses are not AF lenses then the power zoom won't work and
you'll have to set the zoom manually. If they are AF lenses then there's a
fault somewhere since the auto zoom works fine with my D70/SB-800 combo.

> 2) When the flash is on, it always flash three times before the final
> full-power flash after I pushed the shutter. It seems that SB800 is
> using that three flash to test the settings, but it takes too much time
> before I can take the picture. Is there anyway to disable that? I used
> Nikon SB28 on my F100 and never have to wait so long to take photos.

That's the iTTL preflashes. The only way to get rid of them is by switching
the flash to manual or non-TTL auto. If it's very slow flashes then check
you don't have 'red-eye reduction' switched on.

Ronnie
June 24, 2005 6:37:34 PM

"Yi Chen" <yichen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi I bought a new SB800 to use on my D70. I found the following
> problems. I went through the manual and cannot find solutions:
>
> 1) The "power zoom" of the flash is always canceled even though I set
> it to "ON" in custom settings. The little "M" is always on the SB800
> LCD. I use a set of prime lenses, no matter what lense I use, it was
> set to 14mm, the widest zoom.
>
> 2) When the flash is on, it always flash three times before the final
> full-power flash after I pushed the shutter. It seems that SB800 is
> using that three flash to test the settings, but it takes too much time
> before I can take the picture. Is there anyway to disable that? I used
> Nikon SB28 on my F100 and never have to wait so long to take photos.
>
> Thanks!
> Yi

1) Disengage the built in wide angle adapter or remove the diffuser from the
flash head.
2) Sounds like you have the Red Eye reduction enabled.
!