I really need advice/help.

caseynicole_23

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Hello,
I have a Asus Gaming Series laptop and I'm debating on whether or not to upgrade my CPU. I use my laptop mostly for gaming and I recently found out my processor lacks a bit.
I have an Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2.00GHz. and the requirements for the games I'm playing with not is a 2.4GHz processor at minimum. And this isn't counting the future EP's coming out that I plan on buying. So, what should I do? :/

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
you usually cannot upgrade cpus or parts on laptop. If you can, it is usually cost prohibitive and you are better off starting over.

I didn't do any investigation into your particular laptop so cannot say for sure. I suspect though that your GPU is also lacking as well and is just as much of bottleneck for you on games.

I would say save up money to buy a new system.

caseynicole_23

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Well I don't really want to buy a new system seeing as how I just bought this computer a little less then a year ago. I'm pretty sure my computer is capable for a CPU upgrade I have been trying to look more into this over the past week.

GodlessGamer

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
i had the same problem, i started out using a gaming laptop and short of winning the lottery, theres really no easy and cheap way to upgrade it to match modern games. if you are a serious gamer build or buy a desktop, as you will always be fighting a losing battle with your laptop. i only use mine to play command and conquer series while sat infront of the tv.

flossbandit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Yeah, you can pretty much change anything in a laptop as long as it's not soldered in... Sitting on one right now that I change it in earlier this year along with everything else that's hooked to the motherboard. Pretty sure that CPU's socketed too.

I'll still never understand why anyone would buy a gaming laptop... Costs twice as much and puts out half the performance. The "Yeah, but can you play games during class?" defense doesn't really work when the fan sounds like a shuttle getting ready to take off.

caseynicole_23

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Yeah, I feel like I got really ripped off now after buying my gaming laptop. From day one I was considering
buying a desktop computer but wasn't sure about it. I mean I love this laptop it's great, and it plays games fairly
well but I can't stand having lag in my games. And after seeing how much buying a processor alone for my laptop
would be I might as well get something new with everything I want for that price.

I found a computer online for $400 more then I paid for my laptop and here are the comparing specs:

My Laptop:
Intel i7 processor @ 2.00Ghz
8GB ram
1TB hard drive
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560

New Desktop:
Intel i7 processor @ 3.6GHz with turbo boost up to 3.8Ghz
16GB ram expandable to 32GB
2TB hard drive
Nvidia Geforce GTX 670

I think that new desktop sounds amazing :) Perfect for my games. And I'll be getting all of that for only $400 more then my laptop when I was going to have to pay $337.99 at Best Buy to get a better processor for my laptop.