I really need advice/help.

Hello,
I have a Asus Gaming Series laptop and I'm debating on whether or not to upgrade my CPU. I use my laptop mostly for gaming and I recently found out my processor lacks a bit.
I have an Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2.00GHz. and the requirements for the games I'm playing with not is a 2.4GHz processor at minimum. And this isn't counting the future EP's coming out that I plan on buying. So, what should I do? :/
5 answers Last reply
More about advice help
  1. you usually cannot upgrade cpus or parts on laptop. If you can, it is usually cost prohibitive and you are better off starting over.

I didn't do any investigation into your particular laptop so cannot say for sure. I suspect though that your GPU is also lacking as well and is just as much of bottleneck for you on games.

I would say save up money to buy a new system.
  2. Well I don't really want to buy a new system seeing as how I just bought this computer a little less then a year ago. I'm pretty sure my computer is capable for a CPU upgrade I have been trying to look more into this over the past week.
  3. i had the same problem, i started out using a gaming laptop and short of winning the lottery, theres really no easy and cheap way to upgrade it to match modern games. if you are a serious gamer build or buy a desktop, as you will always be fighting a losing battle with your laptop. i only use mine to play command and conquer series while sat infront of the tv.
  4. raytseng said:
    you usually cannot upgrade cpus or parts on laptop. If you can, it is usually cost prohibitive and you are better off starting over.

I didn't do any investigation into your particular laptop so cannot say for sure. I suspect though that your GPU is also lacking as well and is just as much of bottleneck for you on games.

I would say save up money to buy a new system.

Yeah, you can pretty much change anything in a laptop as long as it's not soldered in... Sitting on one right now that I change it in earlier this year along with everything else that's hooked to the motherboard. Pretty sure that CPU's socketed too.

I'll still never understand why anyone would buy a gaming laptop... Costs twice as much and puts out half the performance. The "Yeah, but can you play games during class?" defense doesn't really work when the fan sounds like a shuttle getting ready to take off.
  5. Yeah, I feel like I got really ripped off now after buying my gaming laptop. From day one I was considering
    buying a desktop computer but wasn't sure about it. I mean I love this laptop it's great, and it plays games fairly
    well but I can't stand having lag in my games. And after seeing how much buying a processor alone for my laptop
    would be I might as well get something new with everything I want for that price.

I found a computer online for $400 more then I paid for my laptop and here are the comparing specs:

My Laptop:
    Intel i7 processor @ 2.00Ghz
    8GB ram
    1TB hard drive
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 560

New Desktop:
    Intel i7 processor @ 3.6GHz with turbo boost up to 3.8Ghz
    16GB ram expandable to 32GB
    2TB hard drive
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 670

I think that new desktop sounds amazing :) Perfect for my games. And I'll be getting all of that for only $400 more then my laptop when I was going to have to pay $337.99 at Best Buy to get a better processor for my laptop.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Laptops Gaming Processors