Sign in with
Your question

Problem with texture gaps in 3D video games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2012 9:37:56 AM

Hello,

I keep having this problem in most video games where the textures don't look right or they're just not seamless. This happens irregardless of the card manufacturer, but right now this is happening while I am running an NVIDIA GTX 560. I have replaced virtually every piece of equipment except for the RAM in regards to this error and it still keeps occuring. Help!
a b Î Nvidia
February 15, 2012 10:01:55 AM

what video games to be more specific? Rage/Skyrim have some low textures even at maximum details. you must see if it really is a texture problem.
m
l
February 15, 2012 12:57:40 PM

Well, I am playing Skyrim at the moment and I know it's not exactly perfect in the good texture department. But I'm getting some texture seam gaps that are really distracting, such as one side of an entrance to a dungeon being entirely free of snow and the other covered in snow when it should be seamlessly and gradually moving from snow to bare dirt.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
February 15, 2012 1:17:44 PM

Update your graphics drivers i can tell you that 290.53 is working very well for skyrim.

is your skyrim updated? update it to the latest version maybe it is an incompatibility bug with your current system.

About modifications, are you using any mods? if yes try removing them see if this fix the issues.

If all of the above have already been tested an nothing worked try adding a texture mod for it, that may fix this issue.
m
l
February 15, 2012 4:24:15 PM

Well, it's not so much about performance issues, it's that this texture gap bug happens in every game irregardless of driver number. I will try 295.51 and see if that fixes my problem.

Skyrim is updated to the latest version, and I have just recently installed SKSE and SkyUI, which I think might be the source of my problems, because the problem started when I started playing with these two mods. I'm going to backup my saved games and clear out my Skyrim folder.

I already am using the High Resolution Texture pack from Bethesda, but this happens irregardless of what textures I'm using.

Also, while I'm waiting for things to wrap up, here are some other symptoms I have been having that may point to a cause:

Occasionally the driver has to reboot itself whenever I'm websurfing but not while I'm playing games. It used to reboot once every day to every 3-4 days. Back then I was using a 750W power supply, but I've downgraded to a 700W power supply and now it just gives me red pixellated messes over the screen when it is about to pitch a fit sometimes. It still occasionally freezes without any warning.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 15, 2012 4:37:03 PM

Screenshots could be helpful. I'm betting the texture thing is just a Skyrim bug.

As for that last part with the driver rebooting, could be that the card is over heating. Check the temperatures (use MSI Afterburner or HWMonitor or GPUZ) while gaming.
m
l
February 15, 2012 4:39:37 PM

ricardois is right, it sounds like a driver issue rather than a hardware issue to me. If you had bad RAM it would just crash or display garbage, it wouldn't be a repeatable pattern like you're describing.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 15, 2012 4:50:31 PM

295.51 is not a recommended driver, memory leaks are confirmed there.

use 290.54 are the latest BETA stable drivers.

if just skyrim is showing problems probably yes, it is software problem, i would try reinstalling the game without mods to see if the problem still there.
m
l
February 15, 2012 6:10:42 PM

wolfram23 said:
Screenshots could be helpful. I'm betting the texture thing is just a Skyrim bug.

As for that last part with the driver rebooting, could be that the card is over heating. Check the temperatures (use MSI Afterburner or HWMonitor or GPUZ) while gaming.

I figured out that it's not a heat issue because it crashes whenever it feels like it. Usually when my computer decides to restart on itself the temp is at the low 30s. Gaming doesn't take it much higher than the low 50s at full load.

I'm thinking that it may have to do with a power issue or an incorrect setting with my motherboard. I live in an old apartment complex that has fuses going off most of the time in different apartments. When they do, they send a minor surge, sometimes a brownout, through my floor. Could it be possible that the problem lies with the electrical wiring in my apartment walls?

Also if that texture bug is still there when I've finished reinstalling Skyrim I'll get a snapshot of it and upload it.
m
l
February 15, 2012 6:16:11 PM

Download Skyrims High Res texture pack DLC, it makes everything look awesome, while the impressive 50FPS drops considerably.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 15, 2012 7:11:54 PM

^what? That doesn't help nor does it make much sense.

OP: Definitely having a bad power supply from the wall is bad. It's quite possible your PSU is damaged from that. What model do you have?

You might need to invest in a power backup unit, but they are pretty pricey. A really high end surge protector might help but mostly those are really just power splitters more than anything.
m
l
February 15, 2012 8:00:31 PM

wolfram23 said:
^what? That doesn't help nor does it make much sense.

OP: Definitely having a bad power supply from the wall is bad. It's quite possible your PSU is damaged from that. What model do you have?

You might need to invest in a power backup unit, but they are pretty pricey. A really high end surge protector might help but mostly those are really just power splitters more than anything.

I used to have a Corsair TX750, which made my system crash. Now I have a Thermaltake TR2 700W, which doesn't crash my system as much but makes weird graphical anomalies appear.

Like I said, the problem happens irregardless of what texture pack I am using.

And I don't think I can afford a power backup unit.

Here is an example of the problem I am talking about below:

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 16, 2012 8:55:15 AM

well, this is strange, i don't think this is a psu problem because this is much specific only in that game, also about what you were saying, driver is not responding this is common in some drivers even when browsing, don't use 295.51 that has memory leak and it is happening a lot of driver restart.

it still looks like a driver problem/patch problem, are you sure your game is patched to the latest version, and have you installed the 290.53 driver? best to try everething before buying a new hardware.
m
l
February 16, 2012 1:20:01 PM

ricardois said:
well, this is strange, i don't think this is a psu problem because this is much specific only in that game, also about what you were saying, driver is not responding this is common in some drivers even when browsing, don't use 295.51 that has memory leak and it is happening a lot of driver restart.

it still looks like a driver problem/patch problem, are you sure your game is patched to the latest version, and have you installed the 290.53 driver? best to try everething before buying a new hardware.

This is not a problem limited to Skyrim, it occurs in most video games.

I installed the 290.53 driver last afternoon and later that night it froze on me, which made me restart my computer.

And Skyrim runs off of Steam, which automatically patches the game to the latest version as patches become available.

I still think it might be a problem with the PSU resulting from a bad power flow.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
February 16, 2012 1:24:28 PM

well than try changing the psu, since nothing else worked...

if it works please let your feedback here,we wan't to know if that was really the problem.
m
l
February 17, 2012 2:36:51 AM

I've already changed the PSU around Christmas time (From the Corsair to the Thermaltake). The problems actually disappeared for about a week or so and then they started cropping up again.
m
l
!