New Build running way too slow

steelbydesign

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
So let me start by saying I was trying to build a decent gaming machine without breaking the bank (in the $700 range). I've also never done anything like this before so I'm a total noob when it comes to building my own PC... So please, talk to me like the noob that I am.

My problem is that once I finished building my computer, it worked fine for a while (maybe a month), but then over time it just got painfully slow especially to power on. To the point that it was not usable. I re-installed the OS and it worked fine then for a month, then back to being crap. This happened maybe about 3 times, and now it's to the point that when I re-installed the HD it just locks up on boot up and I can't really do anything. I'm not sure if maybe there was a setting I need to adjust on the motherboard or something?

Everything I bought is new, and I got recommendations on EXCEPT the hard drive. I bought it used on ebay, so if you think that might be the problem I can buy a new one.

Here is my build...

Power Supply: Hercules Black ATX 12CM

Processor: INTEL BOX INTEL CI5 2500K

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 1155

HD: Hitachi Deckstar 250g SATA

GFX CARD: EVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

your specs look good
maybe you have too many applications opening at startup. do you have a lot of programs installed? usually the more stuff you have installed on your pc the slower it will get
you said your computer locks up when booting to windows...when powering on press f8 and check safe mode. that will boot your windows with minimum amount of drivers, the resolution will be very small thats ok.
one thing you should do is go to control panel and remove applications you are not using
another thing you can do it press start and type msconfig in the search box, there you can go to startup tab and uncheck programs you do not need at startup

I think the Hitachi Deathstar is the problem. Such is the problem when you buy used things on ebay. All of the other components are decent and based on your description of the problem, don't seem to be a cause of concern. Hitachis as of late have seemed to have had some problems in the quality department.

Consider something like this, but the only real way to test my theory without going out and buying a new drive is to have another drive to try.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769

steelbydesign

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

I'm thinking I got 2 8gig's. I don't remember the brand. I bought them new on newegg...

I can check for sure when I get home.

I really didn't have much installed at all, so I don't think this is the problem. At the point that I started having problems, I think Starcraft II is the only thing I had installed on there. And now I'm having issues without installing anything.

bkoop

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Any chance you can pop the hard drive into another computer as a spare drive, not the boot drive and run HD Tune on it, it can read the SMART date off of the hard drive, check for hardware errors.

They have a free edition that can read the SMART data.

steelbydesign

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Okay, I'll try out a new hard drive, and I know I'll need a new power supply down the road... Just curious though, all I should really have to do is install the OS and the drivers from my motherboard disc and it should be good to go right?