Games started running slower over time

sudano68

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Hi guys, I got a prebuilt computer with the following specs.

-Intel i7 3.4ghz quad core
-16GB RAM
-1TB HD
-I'm on my backup video card which is a Radeon HD 5770 (crappy, I know)
-24 inch monitor
-1000 wat PSU

My main video card is a Radeon HD 6990 with 4GB of memory, and obviously that thing runs anything just fine. I'm in the process of sending it back to MSI for an RMA because it died so currently I am using the 5770. A while back, games like BF3 seemed to work on low just fine. With no big changes, BF3 runs so bad I can't even play. On top of that I just played MW3 and even that was so glitchy I couldn't play. I know with those specs it would run call of duty just fine, but it doesn't, which is why I came to ask for help because something is obviously wrong. I've updated my drivers, defragged my HD, cleaned up a lot of junk and the games still run bad. The lag I get isn't really the "your video card sucks for this game" type of lag, that's from my experience a slow, delayed type of mouse lag. The lag I get is glitchy. The game will freeze up for milliseconds here and there but bad enough to prevent me from playing a game. Any idea what could be causing this? Hope I put it in the right section, because I'm assuming it has to be hardware related.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
What brand is the power supply? I realize 1000watts is enough, but my thoughts are that there is a problem with the powersupply, which has caused the 6990 to not work, and since the 5770 takes a lot less power, it works with the psu, but not right. It's not common for a video card to just fail. I've owned dozens, without a failure, and some I've passed down to friends or my kids computers so they have been run for years. I would make sure the power supply's 12volt output isnt the problem before RMA'ing that other card.

sudano68

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
I've been on the 5770 for over 2 months now. The PSU brand is OCZ. I've tried 4 video cards and the other 5770 (had two in crossfire in my last computer) had the same problem as the 6990. No video output on the monitor, and I swapped out and the other one worked, and another old one worked too. I think the 6990 over heated but I'm not sure. I know a decent amount about computers but this was my first big expensive build at the time.

I'll try the vsink think and let you know.

Oh, and how would I know if the PSU has bad 12 volts?