First project build, gaming computer

alucardd80

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19112212

So this is my first build ever, I know how to make computers and such but that was in my classes and such, now I'm trying it on my own.

First off in the wish list I would like everyones opinion on which tower case I should get,

-also I don't know if I need the HDD Fan, and I would like to get a cpu fan, although I'm not sure if its needed or which to get.

-Not too sure if the PSU is high enough in watts either, haven't had much time to put this together.

-oh another point, the CD/DVD drive is oem and apparently doesnt come with the cables, I'm not too sure which cables I need to get, I googled the name but I can't tell which SATA cable I need.

I don't need a mouse, monitor or a keyboard, I'm fine on all fronts but I was just wondering if this build is ok, if theres anything I'm missing, if I should get this part over this part etc etc.... Please help me out as much as you can I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thank you for reading and hopefully I'll have some things to read when I get back from work :D bye

OH YEA! my budget for this is $800-$1000, but a couple of bucks over is ok (IE: 1050, 1070,but not 1100) Thanks again!

EDIT : ok so I chose to take yall's advice and changed the following

- Different case
- 8GB of RAM
- Different MOBO
All that is needed is to check if I have enough power from the PSU to power everything up, AND if the PSU I currently have chosen is good or not
Also I'd like to know whether or not a Hard Drive Fan is needed or not on my set up. Thanks for all your help guys, so far you've saved me edit $50 off the original plans I had

EDIT 2 after some research kulladoctor is more than likely right about the price drop on GPU's in the following months but for now am putting a GEOFORCE 560ti (what difference does the ti make anyway?), I also set out to change the ram, which saved me 40 bucks off the patriot brand, I wasnt too familiar with that brand either so it made me more comfortable to switch em with the ripjaws.

Solution
HDD fan is not needed for just 1 hard drive. Also, if you are building over the course of 2 months, wait till the last minute to buy the hard drive, prices may drop as supply from thailand begins to increase.

CPU fan (by that I assume you mean aftermarket Cooler) would pair nicely with the 2500k if you wish to OC the processor (which you should if you are getting the k version). If you are short of cash however, you can start with the stock cooler, and if you feel like pushing your OC further, buy a aftermarket cooler later.

Also, why not spend a bit more (~$15) on some vengence or ripjaw memory. But I dont know much about partriot, so maybe some one else would be more helpful.

Your graphics card is def the bottle neck in this...

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

alucardd80

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

whoa that seems like a pretty good freaking idea lol i dunno how I didn't see that mobo the first time
edit: wait I thought that cpus currently weren't able to fully take 8gbs of mem, unless I'm thinking of the operating system.

MacPCiOSAndroidGuy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

im pretty sure an i7 with the right board could handle 32gbs of mem

kulladoctor

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
HDD fan is not needed for just 1 hard drive. Also, if you are building over the course of 2 months, wait till the last minute to buy the hard drive, prices may drop as supply from thailand begins to increase.

CPU fan (by that I assume you mean aftermarket Cooler) would pair nicely with the 2500k if you wish to OC the processor (which you should if you are getting the k version). If you are short of cash however, you can start with the stock cooler, and if you feel like pushing your OC further, buy a aftermarket cooler later.

Also, why not spend a bit more (~$15) on some vengence or ripjaw memory. But I dont know much about partriot, so maybe some one else would be more helpful.

Your graphics card is def the bottle neck in this system. If you wish to game a lot, I would suggest 560Ti rather than 560 if you have the money to spare.

Power Supply is more than enough for any single video card setup, as long as you dont plan to add 3-4 hard drives, 2-3 pcie cards and extra drives etc. But if you wish to SLI in the future, you will have to upgrade.

Finally, boot drive SSD is awesome, if you can fit it into your budget.

Solution