Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Have been away from the PC world for 10 years. Diablo III ONLY build.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Diablo
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 23, 2012 5:55:26 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: 2 weeks

Budget Range: $800-1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: ONLY DIABLO III

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon, microcenter b&m

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Already bought Intel i5 2500K and asus p8z68-v lx

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Would like high quality items so this computer can last for a good 2 years. (Lian Li case is a must)

---

Hi guys. Been away from the PC world for 10 years (huge apple guy here), but with Diablo III coming up, wanted to build a system that could run it flawlessly. Interested in NOTHING else, I have my apple products for that. Only Diablo III.

Not sure if all of these are compatible so if you guys could quickly eyeball it, I'll be in your debt. I just got these parts from reading other threads and checking newegg.

**NOTE** Already bought the intel i5 2500k and asus motherboard from microcenter because the price was great.

cpu intel i5 2500k $179.99 (bought)
mobo asus p8z68-v lx $64.99 (bought)
gpu evga nvidia gtx 560 ti $224.99 (bought)
psu seasonic bronze 620w modular $89.99 (bought)
ram corsair vengeance 8gb $44.99 (bought)
hd samsung 830 128gb ssd $135.00 (bought)
case antec 300 black steel atx $69.99 (bought)

Finished the purchasing. Thank you all for all your help!

More about : world years diablo iii build

April 23, 2012 6:00:05 PM

Where did you find a 2500k for $180?

EDIT: I see you already bought. Assuming you got a combo deal.
m
l
April 23, 2012 6:01:13 PM

Azok said:
Where did you find a 2500k for $180?

Hi Azok, I did the microcenter special for $180+$65 mobo for pickup.
m
l
Related resources
April 23, 2012 6:01:21 PM

I would recommend getting a bigger ssd. I started with that crucial drive for this build. It was fast, but too small. Do yourself a favor and get at least a 120gb.
m
l
April 23, 2012 6:04:34 PM

Hi gbmike, thanks for your reply. I'm an extremely boring person with 0 music and 0 movies. Running a 80gb on my MacBook Pro and still have like 40gb free.

This system will ONLY be for Diablo 3. I've waited too long for this damned game. :) 
m
l
April 23, 2012 6:09:57 PM

Well you are spending more on a case and PSU than I would, but I am still a noob. I'm trying to cut costs for a better GPU. BUT, I'm not only playing d3.

Everything looks good here, though. Why not nvidia though? If you are JUST playing d3, it's known that nvidia runs better with blizzard games.
m
l
April 23, 2012 6:13:48 PM

for a heads up the ocz vertex 3 has faster read write speeds, which should help with loading screens...I tend to avoid their products, but the lady I trust at my microcenter stood by it and it has been stellar.
I tend to be an Nvidia guy, due to driver support and generally better cooling.
m
l
April 23, 2012 6:36:13 PM

I personally won't buy OCZ. My friend have had TONS of problems and DOAs with them. So I never bothered even trying them. I went with Patriot, but it was on sale.
m
l
April 23, 2012 6:51:01 PM

Dude, having 40GB left on your macbook is irrelevant. Windows 7 is a OS that partitions depending on your space.... get a 120GB enough said
m
l
April 23, 2012 6:55:54 PM

you might want a better video card
m
l
April 23, 2012 6:58:48 PM

Rockdpm said:
Dude, having 40GB left on your macbook is irrelevant. Windows 7 is a OS that partitions depending on your space.... get a 120GB enough said

He said his is only using this for Diablo III. A 64GB SSD should be more than enough. Why not save the $60-70? Worst case scenario is that a year or two down the line he actually does need 120GB and that same $60-70 will likely buy a 120GB drive.
m
l
April 23, 2012 7:03:53 PM

You will be disappointed with Diablo 3. stop supporting new blizzard. They suck ass. However thats a nice rig.
m
l
April 23, 2012 7:07:13 PM

i like your build in general

overkill u could argue would be the case
but since that is a must

why not stock fan on the i5 do u plan on trying to o/c?
m
l
April 23, 2012 7:20:43 PM

For a PSU I'd recommend the Corsair 750 Watt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or the Antec 750 watt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The modular Seasonic is a great choice, Its just that I'd just rather see the extra $25 spent on graphics.

As far as the case. You have to look at it so get the case you want. Just remember that case has no windows so as long as you can tuck the extra cables away you should have no problems with the non-modular PSUs.

Also, Blizzard games tend to play better on Nvidia GPUs take a look at similiary priced Nvidia GPUs and you will get better performance out of them than a Radeon card. Avoid the GTX 560 however and look towards the GTX 560 Ti or above.
m
l
April 23, 2012 7:24:54 PM

Just throwing this out there in case you didn't realize. When you buy Diablo III you're really just buying a Battle.net Key for Diablo III. You can download either the Windows client or the Mac client. You can have it installed on your new gaming PC and your Mac. It may run fine or may run like crap depending on what model MacBook Pro you have. But you can take your Diablo III fun on the road too.
m
l
April 23, 2012 7:32:48 PM

gbmike said:
I would recommend getting a bigger ssd. I started with that crucial drive for this build. It was fast, but too small. Do yourself a favor and get at least a 120gb.

He said this is a Diablo 3 only build. An SSD isn't necessary if all he is going to be doing is playing one game. You don't really get your money's worth out of an SSD unless it's used for your OS. If Diablo 3 were an MMO, I might agree. But Diablo 3's data cache is relatively small. He should skip the SSD altogether.

OP: The 2500k is overkill if all you're going to be playing is Diablo 3. But since you already have, it's good to have.
m
l
April 23, 2012 11:31:27 PM

Thanks for all your reply guys.

My takeaways so far are that:

1. Since the Lian Li won't have a window, I wouldn't really need to pay extra for a modular PSU. Awesome, I like that.

2. 64ssd should be fine. You guys may be skeptical, but this will only be for Diablo III. (I'm crazy I know)

3. I'm all for NVidia. Can you guys give me a best bang for the buck card that will run DIII like a charm for that ~$180-200 pricetag?

4. So I shouldn't even worry about the cooler master heatsink/fan combo at all right? I won't be OC'ing so I can just use the stock heatsink?

Thank you everyone for all your replies already!
m
l
April 24, 2012 12:52:37 AM

DroKing said:
You will be disappointed with Diablo 3. stop supporting new blizzard. They suck ass. However thats a nice rig.

Even though the beta is limited, I enjoy it. Stop projecting :kaola: 
m
l
April 24, 2012 1:55:57 AM

gbmike said:

I would suggest the same, specially if this will be your only drive.
Also noticed that you don't mention an OS, (not clear if you got one already).
I would suggest to get a Windows 7 pro 64bit OEM. (usually $120-$140 at Newegg)
m
l
April 24, 2012 1:56:59 AM

drwho1 said:
I would suggest the same, specially if this will be your only drive.
Also noticed that you don't mention an OS, (not clear if you got one already).
I would suggest to get a Windows 7 pro 64bit OEM. (usually $120-$140 at Newegg)

Thanks drwho1. I was thinking on getting the Windows 7 home premium 64bit. Would the Pro make a big difference?
m
l
April 24, 2012 2:04:40 AM

I personally like pro for the combo of more useful utilities included and no crappy games coming with it (NOTE: Got it free from Microsoft from their MSDNAA E Academy thingy)

Then again, for a D3 Specific build Home Pre should be fine for you. I suppose it all comes down to personal preferance if you're just turning it on for the game. Go for whatever's cheaper
m
l
April 24, 2012 2:16:59 AM

I would recommend getting a bigger ssd.
m
l
April 24, 2012 4:20:18 AM

It's not only that the ssd will fit your OS and Diablo 3, but keeping it around half full will maximize performance. On top of that, I only used that drive for drivers and basic stuff and it got too full. Just saying it's not that much more for a 120gb drive, and migrating all your stuff to a new drive isn't that difficult it can give problems. Get the 120 for enough room for updates for windows as well as Diablo 3. You know Blizzard will be patching it regularly and making expansions...
m
l
April 24, 2012 4:52:20 AM

if you plan on having 16 gigs + of memory (ram & video card) then get pro. Home premium will allocate up to 16 gigs max, pro much more. if you have need of more complex networking (doubtful since this is strictly diablo machine...your most key difference is going to be the memory. also if you are planning on running some programs that will only work on xp, pro has xp mode ( a virtual xp machine as long as the processor supports virtualization.)
m
l
April 24, 2012 2:35:29 PM

lupinesithlord said:
if you plan on having 16 gigs + of memory (ram & video card) then get pro. Home premium will allocate up to 16 gigs max, pro much more. if you have need of more complex networking (doubtful since this is strictly diablo machine...your most key difference is going to be the memory. also if you are planning on running some programs that will only work on xp, pro has xp mode ( a virtual xp machine as long as the processor supports virtualization.)

I didn't know that Home Pre limited you to 16GB (3 desktops w/ W7Pro & Laptop w/ W7 Home Basic cuz I'm cheap). Thanks Lupine

m
l
April 24, 2012 7:36:59 PM

I didn't realize that the SSD was going to be your only drive.

Diablo 3 will get bigger and bigger with patches, future expansions, custom content, etc. That, combined with your OS - 64GB is pushing it.

The price of Drives have really gone through the roof as of late. With that said, a good 128GB SSD is going to run you about $200 or more. You can get a good 250GB HDD for a fraction of that. I still think that would be your best option. I really don't see why you feel you have to have an SSD for just one game.

A good 1800MHz kit of DDR3 would make more of a difference considering Diablo 3's data cache. During the beta testing, I played it with my 16GB of RAM and 7200RPM HDD and it was a dream.

I suggest you think on it.
m
l

Best solution

April 24, 2012 7:58:12 PM

Summary (my opinion)

Don't get a 80PLus Gold for $125, Get a decent Bronze for $50 less, and spend a little more on a 120/128GB SSD. It is true that when SSDs become more full, the read/write slower. (Plus this build would be viable for maybe a new game you want to play in 2 years)

560ti (obviously you agree)

If you aren't overclocking, you really DON'T need an upgraded fan... Plus, you can always get one later.

I would look into getting a cheaper case, your rig isn't going to be heating up too much. It's overpriced (in my opinion), you just need a place to put your parts. You're motherboard does state "2 x 4 -pin & 1 x 3 -pin," so watch the case fans.
April 24, 2012 8:03:36 PM

Azok said:
Summary (my opinion)

Don't get a 80PLus Gold for $125, Get a decent Bronze for $50 less, and spend a little more on a 120/128GB SSD. It is true that when SSDs become more full, the read/write slower. (Plus this build would be viable for maybe a new game you want to play in 2 years)

560ti (obviously you agree)

If you aren't overclocking, you really DON'T need an upgraded fan... Plus, you can always get one later.

I would look into getting a cheaper case, your rig isn't going to be heating up too much. It's overpriced (in my opinion), you just need a place to put your parts. You're motherboard does state "2 x 4 -pin & 1 x 3 -pin," so watch the case fans.

Hi Azok,

Thanks for your advice.

What do you think of this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Seasonic 520W Bronze for $70?

You guys have convinced me to get a 128gb SSD. I'll get the Crucial M4 of that size.

Agreed on the case. I'll get the Antec 300 for $50. Can you explain the 2x4pin and 1x3pin? Will the Antec 300 be okay for that? Sorry not 100% what that means and I'd like this build to go as smoothly as possible.

Thanks again!

m
l
April 24, 2012 8:58:23 PM

fx324 said:

Can you explain the 2x4pin and 1x3pin?

The motherboard has fan headers for 2 - 4 pin fan connectors and 1 - 3 pin fan connector. Usually you can put a 4 pin in a 3 pin and vice versa...

Your CPU cooler will use one of the connectors. The Antec 300 has 2 fans on it plus the option of adding 2 additional fans. So both the onboard fan headers will be used... However if you wanted to add 3 more fans you would need a converter cable to convert molex to 3 or 4 pin. Really not that big of a deal... So don't worry about it

Edit... It looks like the Antec 300 fans come with Molex adapters already so no worries on having enough fan headers.

The advantages of using the On motherboard headers is that you can monitor/change the fan speed with the bios or with an application. As long as you have quality silent running fans you don't need to adjust the speed, just keep them running full blast. Antec puts good fans in their boxes so you don't need to worry. Plus the Antec fans that come with the 300 have a switch cable hanging off the fan to lower the speed if they are too noisy.
m
l
April 24, 2012 9:44:42 PM

Well after a large write up, my son went back a page... *sigh* I need a vacation.

Anyway... I would suggest a larger PSU, I got the Antec Earthwatts 650W (I am partial to Antec tho)

I am also building in a Antec 300 Illusion. What I'm saying is that you could only plug in 3 fans w/o using a molex adapter (there is 4 3&4-pin connecters, I neglected to mention because it will be used for the CPU) on the motherboard. This would be a good case. But you may not be able to use 1 case fan (doubt it tho). The psu and wires is where my friend comes in and will help me, lol.

@pacioli, I didn't know that... I ended up buying some 3-pin to 4-pin adapters. Aren't molex slots more limited or used than 4-pin? I read somewhere that it's good to use adapters to "free-up" a molex.
m
l
April 24, 2012 9:47:55 PM

Most Molex adapters have pass throughs so you can still use the plug even if you are running a fan off to the side. I usually place 4 pin Molex to fan adapters on the ends of molex cables. Not many devices still use Molex. PATA HDDs used them, but when was the last time you installed a PATA drive...
I usually end up with extra unused Molex cables coming out of PSUs that I have to hide under HDD cages...
m
l
April 24, 2012 9:59:25 PM

What I was going to say:

Some people will be like "oh use a 530W on a 'recommends minimum 500w PSU'" but that makes no sense to me. It overworks the PSU... If your system is drawing 380W, whether it's a 500W, or a 650W, it is only drawing the 380W (efficiency etc). So why not spend the extra $5-10 (OR THE SAME PRICE) on a larger one. Plus, you know you can use it in the future on a new system. Maybe If you want 2 graphics cards (but your mobo doesn't support that)

also. you SHOULD be able to power all fans with the 300.

if you aren't in a rush to buy, keep an eye out on www.techbargains.com < components

EDIT: look at this ^ lian li case for $39.99 only 2 fans compared to the antec 300. but you aren't overclocking, and if you use a higher PSU, it won't be as hot because it won't be running as hard.
m
l
April 25, 2012 5:47:27 AM

fx324 said:
Hi Azok,

Thanks for your advice.

What do you think of this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Seasonic 520W Bronze for $70?

You guys have convinced me to get a 128gb SSD. I'll get the Crucial M4 of that size.

Agreed on the case. I'll get the Antec 300 for $50. Can you explain the 2x4pin and 1x3pin? Will the Antec 300 be okay for that? Sorry not 100% what that means and I'd like this build to go as smoothly as possible.

Thanks again!

Is there a particular reason why you are turning your nose up at the prospect of going with an HDD?

Considering Diablo 3 pre-caches very, very fast, and Blizzard has kept the loading sequences to a minimum to offer a more streamlined experienced (not to mention the fact that this is THE ONLY GAME YOU WILL BE PLAYING), if you pay triple for an SSD you are being very foolish, no offense.
m
l
April 25, 2012 5:29:09 PM

I have read about that D3 can still perform well on an HDD, but we KNOW SSD is always (with normal circumstances) faster, so why bother?
m
l
April 25, 2012 6:09:15 PM

Personally I never buy less than a silver certified psu but that's just me. I haven't had one fail yet. My brother in law just replaced his similar corsair bronze certified because it died. Just a thought, I have seen the corsair 750 silver certified modular on sale plenty of times for around $120. Just thought your initial seasonic looked a little high in price but gold is more expensive so whatever your preference. I don't necessarily agree with going bottom of the barrel, psu powers everything, pretty important. Also as Azok was saying, I would go a little extra over your requirements for two reasons. Like he said you are overworking a psu if you are right at the limit, and psu's degrade over time. They only have so long of a life span at that max power pull. So I always leave comfortable room for that degradation or upgrades since I keep my comp for roughly 4 years before building brand new again. BTW congrats on your new build for D3, I'm an avid Diablo fan so I did exactly the same thing :) 
m
l
April 25, 2012 6:18:06 PM

Can't believe how amazing a community tomshardware is! Thanks all for your replies!

So far, I have bought the processor, mobo, and video card (evga 560ti). Still debating on the rest but will hopefully have this wrapped up in the next 10 days.

GBMike, we'll have to play together :) 
m
l
April 26, 2012 3:56:39 AM

Azok said:
I have read about that D3 can still perform well on an HDD, but we KNOW SSD is always (with normal circumstances) faster, so why bother?

Because Diablo 3 is the only game he is going to be playing and an HDD is much cheaper, that's why.

If he knew how an SSD works, and knew how Diablo 3 works, then he would know why an SSD is unnecessary, as would everyone who is responding.
m
l
April 26, 2012 3:58:49 AM

gbmike said:
Personally I never buy less than a silver certified psu but that's just me. I haven't had one fail yet. My brother in law just replaced his similar corsair bronze certified because it died. Just a thought, I have seen the corsair 750 silver certified modular on sale plenty of times for around $120. Just thought your initial seasonic looked a little high in price but gold is more expensive so whatever your preference. I don't necessarily agree with going bottom of the barrel, psu powers everything, pretty important. Also as Azok was saying, I would go a little extra over your requirements for two reasons. Like he said you are overworking a psu if you are right at the limit, and psu's degrade over time. They only have so long of a life span at that max power pull. So I always leave comfortable room for that degradation or upgrades since I keep my comp for roughly 4 years before building brand new again. BTW congrats on your new build for D3, I'm an avid Diablo fan so I did exactly the same thing :) 

The Antec Earthwatts 650 is the best PSU for the money currently on the market.

Just remember it doesn't come with a power cord.
m
l
April 26, 2012 4:28:48 PM

Azok said:

An SSD will make D3 load faster... but it still won't play any faster than on an HDD...
m
l
April 26, 2012 6:00:32 PM

How do I find out which games would be fine to put on HDD over SSD?

EDIT: I'm still putting D3 on SSD tho :) 
m
l
April 26, 2012 10:36:25 PM

Azok said:
How do I find out which games would be fine to put on HDD over SSD?

EDIT: I'm still putting D3 on SSD tho :) 

You can put any game you want on an SSD. The game will load faster and if the game has in game level loading sequences the sequences will load faster too... But once every thing is loaded into memory there won't be any difference betwen a game installed on a HDD or a SSD.
m
l
April 26, 2012 11:35:32 PM

^ I disagree.

Diablo 3 precaches entirely, and very quickly at that. Blizzard chose this avenue to give a more streamlined experience to the user regardless of drive-type. Therefore the only difference will be at the very beginning, and a negligible one at that.

Considering Diablo 3 is the only game he is going to have, he should save 75% and go with an HDD.
m
l
April 27, 2012 5:57:24 PM

Hi all, I finished ordering the main parts. Only thing that's left is buying some random doodads here or there.

Thanks again for all the amazing advice! What an amazing community!
m
l
May 7, 2012 12:42:51 AM

Best answer selected by fx324.
m
l
!