Sign in with
Your question

PC won't get to bios anymore

Last response: in Systems
April 23, 2012 6:40:27 PM

Hello,

Yesterday I was playing a game on my computer that I've played for a year on there now and suddenly my pc powered down without warning, kind of like when you have a power outage but it only happened to my pc, everything else kept working.
When i tried to boot it up again I couldnt get to bios so I used the Clear CMOS switch on my pc, which usually fixes this kind of problems. However I still couldn't boot, when i checked the LCD poster on my motherboard it said CMOS ERR and that's where it just stayed on.

Currently I tried figuring out what is wrong with my pc, the things I've tried so far:

-Booting with only minimal hardware and 1 RAM module
-Clearing CMOS with the switch (multiple times) and trying to hard reset it by removing the battery and disconnecting power supply
-Today I borrowed a working power supply from my friend and tried booting with that one to see if my PSU was the problem
-Disconnected the machine from power for a whole night

After all of this nothing changed, everything still powers on but I can't get to bios and it says CMOS ERR on my asus lcd poster
The setup has been running fine for 20 months now, and everything was bought at the same time.
The only suspicious thing is that sometimes while playing a game everything would start going really slow, my keyboard and mouse input would go really slow, audio would start to get slowed down and sound laggy until everything completely froze forcing me to hard reset my pc.

Specs:
Asus Rampage II GENE
Intel Core i7 @ 2.80 Ghz
3x Corsair XMS 3 2Gb memory
ATI Radeon 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition
Corsair TX 850W PSU

I need to find out what is broken or how I can fix this as soon as possible because I need to be able to work for school
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been trying to fix this for a day now and nothing worked so far

More about : bios anymore

a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2012 6:51:41 PM

Check the cmos jumper position using the board manual. If it's in the "run" position, remove the board battery for one minute with the power supply unplugged. That will reset the bios for sure if it still works.
April 23, 2012 6:55:56 PM

o1die said:
Check the cmos jumper position using the board manual. If it's in the "run" position, remove the board battery for one minute with the power supply unplugged. That will reset the bios for sure if it still works.

It was removed for 5 minutes with PSU unplugged, I think there's a hardware failure, maybe my motherboard but I dont have an extra version of all my hardware so im unable to test if it is the problem, I need to be sure it's broken before I send it back for a new one (it still has 5 months warranty on there)
I might just take it to the store and have them verify whether it's broken, I just seems pretty weird to me my motherboard would randomly break like that, especially since it's only 20 months old and was pretty expensive.
Related resources
April 23, 2012 8:33:16 PM

The CMOS chip may have failed. Rare but it happens.
April 23, 2012 8:39:42 PM

Dogsnake said:
The CMOS chip may have failed. Rare but it happens.

Ok thanks, I'm going to take it to a store and have them check my motherboard for me I think since I dont have the ability to swap everything to a different motherboard
August 26, 2012 9:09:20 PM

ultracow said:
Ok thanks, I'm going to take it to a store and have them check my motherboard for me I think since I dont have the ability to swap everything to a different motherboard

Did you ever figure out what was happening? I'm experiencing the same problem with my Eyefinity.
August 26, 2012 10:49:36 PM

meomer said:
Did you ever figure out what was happening? I'm experiencing the same problem with my Eyefinity.

I had it checked and it appeared my video card broke down, according to them it had too much dust in there. I have dustfilters all around my case and there was barely any inside my case, I'm not too sure how accurate that was. Anyway they replaced my video card and all was fine. I'm never buying an ATI video card again that's for sure.
Good luck with your problem. The best way to test what's broken is to try and use replacements and see if your system boots, maybe look for a buddy who's willing to help you by giving him a few of his components to test with. I did that to see if it wasn't my power supply.
!