AMD Phenom X4 9850 BE issue

Last response: in CPUs
August 6, 2012 12:32:23 AM

I'm having these components:
ASUS M3A78 motherboard
ATI HD4830 graphic card
4GB DDR2 1066MHz x 2
LC Power 430W PSU
Arctic Cooling CPU cooler (much better than the stock one)

Today I got this (AMD Phenom X4 9850 BE) CPU. I was searching for some compatible one it since my motherboard doesn't support newer ones. I experienced problems with temperature. It's around 57-59 idle while going as high as 62-63 celsius under load (stressed).
My old CPU AMD Athlon X2 7750 BE works at 52 celsius while being idle, and 59 celsius fully stressed in AIDA64.
What could cause such high temperatures on that new CPU? Could it be that my PSU can't handle all that load? Temperature in this room is around 29-31 degrees of celsius and I know idle CPU temperature shouldn't be more than 10-15 degrees higher than room temperature.

More about : amd phenom 9850 issue

August 6, 2012 1:44:47 AM

Quote:

it does..!

Ummm, this answer is for which question?

I have Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/263/freezer-64-pr...
Thermal grease is some CoolerMaster regular one (white).
I don't have any of the newer versions of that motherboard, it's only M3A78, and unfortunately I couldn't really find other processor than this one here where I am at now.
I tested it with Corsair CX500 (500W) PSU and temperature under full load is 54 celsius on that Athlon I mentioned above, after 10 minutes of stressing.
Right now I'm going to put that Phenom in and see what temperatures are on it under this PSU.
August 6, 2012 2:46:28 AM

Quote:
you need better thermal paste than what came with the cooler itself.
also what application technique did you use, pin or spread.?

and there are Phenom II processors for that board everywhere..

I used something like combined technique but it should be ok since I was doing that before and didn't experience any issues, it was evenly spread. With Corsair CX500 temperature under full load is 67-72 degrees of celsius, and around 54 when idle, which means that changing PSU's doesn't help. Maybe this CPU is broken... This thermal grease isn't the "stock" one and my friends used it and didn't have any problems. :/ 
August 6, 2012 10:23:37 AM

Quote:
hmm, those temps are indeed high.

I put my old X2 CPU there and it's around 52 celsius idle and around 61 under full load (4-5 minutes). I crashed that Phenom with a hammer in the meantime. I'll try to find another thermal grease and try with it, if that doesn't help I'll let it burn to death. It could be also caused with high temperatures in this room since it's not a climatized environment (right now 30.8 degrees of celsius).
!