Budget Range: Less than a 1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Homework, streaming

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, monitor, case, Windows 7, mouse, SSD

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any site cheapest is best

Parts Preferences:no preference

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: In the future

Monitor Resolution: NO idea

Additional Comments: These are some of the parts i have decided already. Feel free to help me change some things around that make it cheaper but still have it as a quality build.

CPU: i5 2500k 179.99 (I don't think the Ivy Bridge is a good enough improvement. I think i rather wait till the next processor. Unless someone changs my mind.

Case: Corsair 500r 116.16

Graphics Card: 7850 OC 269.99 I feel that this is a card that will last me a while. Unless someone can offer a better card for a better value i won't change this.

PSU: Need Help on this

CPU Cooler: Need help on this

Mobo: Asrock Extreme4 134.99 I like this mobo cause it allows me to use my cases USB 3.0 header or w/e. Is there a cheaper alternative where it'll still allow me to use my 3.0 case headers?

Ram: 46.99 G.Skill RipJaws 2x4GB I think this is the best option out there unless there is something that is cheaper

HDD: WD Blue Caviar 79.99 This is the best option for me if i want to keep my prices down.

SSD: Crucial 64GB. I bought this already, and is only using it for booting.

Solution
OP, ddan49 gave you excellent advice in his list of 4 items up above. However, his recommendations for the 750W PSU below that is not something I agree with. Save yourself some cash and get a 650W PSU.

PSU:
There is almost no difference between an 80+ Bronze, Silver, or Gold PSU. In terms of cost for electricity, it'll save you $2/year. In terms of reliably providing high quality performance, it depends on a lot more than an efficiency rating.

As far as your PSU, any 650W Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, or XFX will do. Power supplies appear to be crazy expensive right now. I can't recommend purchasing anything I saw on Newegg. I'd wait a week or two myself and see what deals show up in my email.

MONITOR:
I must call attention to the fact...

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Switch the GPU to an MSI Twin Frozr II OC for better performance (really... a lot better. It's soooo nice yet quiet). Still a 7850, though.

PSU: I think you'll be fine with a PC Power and Cooling 750W Silver Rated Silencer MK II... it's only like $110 before rebates, and will allow room for crossfiring in the future.

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo will do if you don't have any specific preferences (silence, etc.). I'm assuming you don't because of your build, though.

Everything else looks fine! It's really a nice build! FYI, if you want a sexy case, check out the NZXT Phantom... especially the one with green trim. However, Corsair has a great case overall as well.

navare

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Thanks for your help on the CPU cooler, I'm not sure about the PSU cause I never heard of that brand but it seems as it comes at a cheap price. I think I'll still get a Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC, because it is more readily available then the MSI version.

tree319

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I run a Radeon 6850, AMD Phenom 960t, and the same ripjaws 8gb you have, and my 650w psu works just fine. You could probably run a 650w, but if you are looking to run SLI/Crossfire in the future, I'd stick with 750w. It will last you longer.

However, before purchasing a 7850, an article was recently published on Tom's Hardware showing that the 7000 series is a more energy efficient than the 6000 series, but slightly lacks the same visuals. I'd save some money and find a 6870 for around $200. It takes up some more power, but it will give you better performance for 1/3 the cost. A 650w psu would work for a 6870.

Here's the article so that you can decide for yourself:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/image-quality-driver-optimization-graphics,3173.html

Also I agree with the guys above, a Hyper 212+ or Hyper 212 Evo will do the job for cooling. They are basically universal for sub-$1000 builds. I run the evo and it works great for me.

confish21

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
I would not rule out ivy especially with the board your looking at.

If you have a microcenter nearby dont forget taxes and fuel/time.

Get different Ram. The one u posted is not on the compatibility list for your board.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.asp?Model=Z77%20Extreme4

I like that case but I would rather have a bigger faster HD. up to you though. Im waiting about a week longer to see more prices and benchmarks of ivy.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Okay, there's a lot of strange advice going around.

1) Any RAM is compatible as long as the socket matches (240-pin)
2) A 6870 will NOT give better performance than a 7850. Not even CLOSE. The 7850 uses less power, and its graphics are a LOT better. The article on tomshardware about the 7850/7870 DOES say that they had problems with it, but then they said they realized it was because of some incompatibility and driver issues (which have been fixed).
3) A 650W will last you probably for even two GPUs. Use the eXtreme PSU calculator to find out how much power you will use. People usually buy PSUs with too much wattage. Also, PC Power and Cooling is a GREAT manufacturer. They have less PSUs available than Corsair or Seasonic, but they are ranked just as high for reliability and performance. Look up some reviews (from actual reviewers like Anandtech) if you don't believe me. Overall, though, the 750W is "overkill", but PSUs operate best between 20% and 80% of full load. Also, it will give you some room.
4) Yeah, go to microcenter if possible. But gas costs enough that it might not be worth it.

navare

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Thanks guys! Microcenter is only 15 mins away, so gas cost isnt much of a concern for me. All I need to do is wait for a good deal on a PSU at around 600W-750W. I also decided to get the RipJaws X.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
I think the PC Silencer I reommended is the best bang for the buck because it's silver rated. However, if you want modular, etc., then it might be a good idea to wait.

I recommend slickdeals.net for finding good deals, as well as checking tomshardware's daily deals (in the news "feed" thing at the main website. Tell me if you can't find it).

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
I generally try to stay away from OCZ, but I have heard very mixed reviews on it. Some say it's great, others say it's not. I think if you are okay with the lights, you can get it.

Also, a modular PSU allows for easier cable management because the cables you don't use you can detach. A non-modular has all of the cables attached (even ones you don't use), so it can get a little messy. However, non-modular run a smaller risk of a connection coming loose because there are no removeable connections. Most opt for a semi-modular, but, alas, those are not very common.

navare

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Now that I've been thinking about it and going over my parts, I believe the Asrock Extreme4 is a little too much. Would the Pro3 z77 or Pro 4 Z77 be good enough? Are those mobo's able to allow me to use the USB 3.0s on my case?

OP, ddan49 gave you excellent advice in his list of 4 items up above. However, his recommendations for the 750W PSU below that is not something I agree with. Save yourself some cash and get a 650W PSU.

PSU:
There is almost no difference between an 80+ Bronze, Silver, or Gold PSU. In terms of cost for electricity, it'll save you $2/year. In terms of reliably providing high quality performance, it depends on a lot more than an efficiency rating.

As far as your PSU, any 650W Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, or XFX will do. Power supplies appear to be crazy expensive right now. I can't recommend purchasing anything I saw on Newegg. I'd wait a week or two myself and see what deals show up in my email.

MONITOR:
I must call attention to the fact that you said, "Monitor Resolution: NO idea". Do you mean you haven't bought a monitor yet? What model monitor are you using? If you're using a tiny screen or CRT, this must be considering in a GAMING build. Your monitor has a significant impact on your gaming experience and I cannot recommend it be neglected.

CASE:
Additionally, I think a $115 case is a bit expensive for a $1000 build. I instead recommend the excellent Thermaltake V9 for $70: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133189
That is, unless someone can tell me where it's lacking.

A deal on the PSU could easily get it down to $70 and the case just saved you $45.

HDD/SSD:
Hard drives are just too expensive right now and SSD prices are plummeting. Pick up a 128GB Crucial M4 or Vertex 3 for $120, a 120GB Agility 3 for $100, a 120GB Petrol for $80, or something similar. The Crucial M4 has a great reliability record. Or there's the 180GB Agility 3 for $141.

120GB is enough to last you until HDD prices start dropping.
EDIT: I didn't see you already bought an SSD. In that case, I'd skip the HDD for now. Do you have an old one sitting around that you can reuse? I just bought a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB off of this forum for $55 and it's working great.

GRAPHICS:
I cannot personally recommend paying a cent extra for a factory overclocked graphics card, however a little extra for excellent cooling (read as "heat pipes w/ dual fans") is worth something. I'd personally probably get the $240 HIS 7850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161406
Depending on your screen, you could spend more on graphics. I wouldn't, but I typically recommend 30%+ of total cost on graphics for a gaming build.

Personally, I'd get a GTX 560Ti and overclock it. Then plan on a second sometime. But that's not the latest/greatest--just the most bang for your buck.

RAM:
Thanks to recent work by Geil and some other companies, all colors (red, orange, yellow, blue, black, silver) of RAM are now available. I thought those red Ripjaws kinda screw up your color scheme. I'd go for Ripjaws X, btw. That's G. Skill's newer line, so you'll be more likely to find matching heatsinks down the line if you add more RAM. As far as companies for memory, I recommend G. Skill, Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin, or Geil and 1600CL9 1.5V.

Solution

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
^Everything up there is good advice. I mean, I don't know if you have a color scheme you want to do (do you have a window?), and how soon you want to buy. For example, I'd buy an HDD if I was waiting now and buy an SSD later. RAM is steadily going up.

Also, dalauder, what did you mean by "I'd wait a week or two myself and see what deals show up in my email."? Newegg deals? I know slickdeals.net has a few great deals sometimes, but it's not exclusively computer hardware.

navare

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
The case is something i bought as an impulsive buy. I bought it to at least get me started so i don't keep putting it off. My case doesn't have a window because the side is covered as mesh, so i doubt you can see the inside. This means there isn't a preference on the color scheme. The 7850 is something I see as alot better than the GTX 560 TI because of the low power draw and the better performance (I think). For the HDD is it possible i use an external as my main storage, until I find a good deal? Would having 750W be better for the future if i decide to upgrade, or would having 650w still be fine?

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Yeah, I mean, if you (navare, OP) want/need the wattage, I'd totally go with e9812149's PSU. It's a nice deal. Especially because it's gold rated. However, at the moment, 850W just seems like overkill. Especially when you can save like $50 on a decent PSU that'll satisfy your wattage needs. Also, remember to ask someone about amps per rail! I don't know it, but a member over at the PSU section does.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
For excellent help on your PSU, though, go over to the PSU section. They REALLY know what they're talking about. WATTAGE ISN'T ALL THAT MATTERS! Amps, rails, and stuff like that matter too! You can either ask someone over there to help you (preferably, you would ask them to verify a PSU. That's easier than asking them to recommend one), or buy the eXtreme PSU calculator to calculate your amps per rail and other useful things for like $2 (I think). It'll calculate your power needs for free, though. It's very reliable, although I usually go 100W over the recommended (and that's recommended with 25-50% capacitor aging).

Pezcore27

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
The eXtreme PSU Calculator puts you at 462w with the setup you have now, using a 4.1ghz overclock on the 2500k (used my settings) and the 7850 w/ the case and 4 fans included, your HDD and SSD at 90% load w/ 30% capacator aging.

Running 2 7850's in crosfire puts you at 569w using the same overclock and other specs as above.

So find a quality 650w like these for example:

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650

XFX Core Edition PRO650W