heman90210

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Hi, I have just done a major overhaul of my PC. I got new CPU,motherboard,liquid cooling,RAM but I can't get the extra CPU power boost to 3.8 GHZ with the X79 chipset. This is what I have

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79
CPU: LGA 2011 Intel i7 3930k
cooler: H100 corsair
Ram: 12 GB 1600 hz vengeance
power: 1000 Watt corsair power supply
Graphic: GTX 570 whirlwind

I enabled hyper threading in BIOS, installed chipset drivers in windows 7 form motherboard manufactures CD. my windows is up to date. I have the system OC at 3.5 GHZ

Solution

What it's talking about is the Turbo Boost feature, like I explained above (and it's not exclusive to just that CPU OR the X79 chipset. ALL i5's and i7's have that feature and so do all of their respective chipsets (like Z68 and...
The 3.8Ghz number is max Turbo on one core only at stock. Stock max Turbo with all 6 cores active is 3.3Ghz, so with your 3.5 OC, you're already ahead of the game.

I'm not really sure what you're asking here, honestly. You can just OC to 3.8, if you want, anyway (set all Turbo multipliers to 38x or set the main multiplier to 38x. Both will have the same effect).

On a side note, unless you're planning on going with a 3-Way SLI setup at some point, your PSU is INSANE overkill. You could easily get away with a 600W unit with a single 570.

heman90210

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
I was under the impression that if you have the CPU and an X79 chipset, you will be able to boost performance from 3.2 GHZ to 3.8 GHZ. Did I misunderstand. in additional, I just re read the motherboard manual. It didn't mention anything about changing turbo multipliers or main multiplier. I would like to know how to do that on my motherboard BIOS.

P.S

I was going to buy the 750 Watt power supply but they had a sale on the 1000 Watt selling for the same price as the 750 Watt. It was a no brainier :)

What it's talking about is the Turbo Boost feature, like I explained above (and it's not exclusive to just that CPU OR the X79 chipset. ALL i5's and i7's have that feature and so do all of their respective chipsets (like Z68 and Z77). It doesn't do any "magical" overclocking or anything and it has limits and caveats. Turbo Boost will allow the CPU to go faster than its stock speed depending on the situation and how many cores are in use (also like I explained above). Nothing like real overclocking, just an extra "boost" of speed when it decides that you need it. That's why it's nice to be able to OC manually because that's not at all what Turbo does.

The Turbo multipliers are accessed by going into the "Advanced" part of the BIOS and going to "Ai Tweaker". From there, you need to set "OC Tuner" to "Manual".

When you do that, you'll have an option available to be able to change the Turbo multipliers. It's called "Turbo Ratio" in the BIOS. You can choose to do it by all cores (all cores are the same), or by "per core" (every core can be different). You can use either one, but for a true OC, you'll want all of the cores to have the same Turbo frequency. That also effectively disables Turbo's true function, since it all the cores will "Turbo up" to the same speed, regardless of load or cores in use.

Also, the main multiplier is located under "CPU Performance Settings", also in the Ai Tuner section of the BIOS. When you click on "CPU Performance Settings" you'll have an option called "CPU Ratio" that you will be able to change as well. Changing that will be OC'ing with the "main" multiplier.

Solution
G

With 12 Mbytes in cache you will rock with this processor but is better OC with the CPU multiplier you can go to 4.5 Ghz 4,7 or as far your CPU cooler allows you is better to close the turbo boost from bios just for better stability at the lowest operational voltage you can find, The +19% isn’t worth it anyway…

But as it is 130 watts processor indigo 2 extream with thermal conductivity above 20 W/mK is better than any thermal paste and you will need it:

http://indigo-xtreme.com/

Good luck to you that is always needed.