Can't boot Windows 7

qstar123

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hi, so I just built this pc and have been having tons of problems with it. I ran it fine for 3 days with windows 7 home edition 64 bit and a couple games installed. Was playing a game then it crashed. Turned out to be a hardware problem, RMAed my board. Got it back then my new PSU failed on me so I had to RMA that as well. So I'm currently running on an old PSU while my new RMA is processed. I can run safemode fine (what I'm running on right now). I tried reinstalling windows 7 since I had barely any programs on it. I tried system restoring and system repairing but nothing is helping. Whenever I try to boot up I still can't get past the logo to the user screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs are:
OS- windows 7 home edition 64 bit
Mobo- EVGA x58 classified3
GPU- Nvidia 580gtx
Boot device- OCZ Solid 3 120gb
PSU- Mach 1 kingwin 1000w (old PSU)
CPU- Intel i7 965 extreme edition
Memory- Dual channel G.skill Ripjaws f3-12800 cl9d 8GB

Edit: This is the error report I'm getting upon logging in safemode

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA800A0A6010
BCP2: FFFFF8800F900F10
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\011712-8361-01.dmp
C:\Users\Benny\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-13478-0.sysdata.xml

qstar123

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hi, yes I was just about to post an update saying that I have run several memory diagnostics with no problems being shown. I also read around a little and it said that system temperatures could cause this however, my system is below 25C. There has been no OCing done whatsoever as well.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Ok so we need some information on where the fails are happening. Lets start with win7 bare metal installation. Can you reinstall windows, if not where does it stop installing exactly. If you can only run in safe mode, I would aim for either a bad RAM stick or a failing PSU KingWin is not known for its high quality. Try this, take out all the ram put in one stick and run memtest on each one. Or if you want to get really bored, leave one stick in the pc and re-install windows. If it works you have either bad memory or the memory settings in the BIOS are wrong(timings, voltages....etc). If none of this works, does the board you have, have on board video, if not do you have another GPU you can throw in there to see if it changes things. Best practices for chasing hardware issues is change one piece at a time andn see what the difference is. If none of the above makes a difference. I would start looking at the board or the CPU, could be a ESD when you were installing it or could be a factory defect. let me know what you find.

qstar123

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hey thanks for all the responses everyone. So I did used windows memory diagnostic on each stick individually. I pulled them out and tested some triple channel corsair RAM I had from my last build as well and they all passed but I still wasn't able to run windows normally. I did read around a bit about it being a GPU problem so I updated my video drivers to the latest WQHL but that didn't work either. Going to throw my old 460 in and see if that helps at all. I believe this board does come with onboard video as well. I'm going to take a look into what stubbies suggested and try updating firmware for my SSD and see if that helps as well. I'm really hoping its not my board as I just got the RMA today. Also, the CPU is carried over from my old build along with the GPU and PSU since I had to RMA my new PSU. Not sure if that makes a difference but just throwing it out there for more info.

Edit: Thanks stubbies for the suggestion however it seems my firmware is up to date.

qstar123

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hey Jack, I'm following the steps in the link you supplied however whenever I attempt to run the system health check I'm getting a "system cannot find the path specified" error. I'm looking for a fix right now but can't seem to find one

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
There should be a mem test on your windows 7 installlation disk, but from here it sounds like you need to start at the beginning. Install one stick of RAM, insert the windows disk. Attempt to install windows 7, Let us know where the fail happens, this will be key in figuring whether you have a hard ware problem or software problem. If windows not install and fails during the install process its a hardware issue. If it fails after windows installed, it could be a driver or a setup issue.

qstar123

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hey Captjack thanks for the response. I have reinstalled windows fine and it rewrote my first install to window.old. It doesn't fail until I start it up and try to get to the log in screen. My computer screamed at me just now to reboot and I was able to make it to the log in screen for normal startup. sadly, it immediatly said it was rebooting and I wasn't able to stop it. I'm stuck trying to get past the logo again. Do you recommend me swiping my drive and then installing windows over it completly cleaned?

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Is it failing in the same place it was last time? Did you change GPU's try that and see if it makes a difference. If its installing windows and making all the way through the process but then not able to login to windows I think that clears the memory of issues so I would start with the GPU next. You can wipe the drive and try again, but I would swap GPU's first and see if it changes anything.

qstar123

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Yah, it fully installs and I can start windows normally the first time I startup. It will then immediatly reboot and then I get stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen with the logo and can't make it to the user login screen. I'm going to try putting my 460 in and if that doesn't work I'll wipe my SSD and try doing another clean install of win7

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Do you have another Hard Drive you could install to? Maybe you SSD is bad... also, can you get another windows install CD... maybe corrupt files on there.. What happens if you run a "repair" or checkdisk?

Make sure when you install windows you have the bare minimum devices connected... don't have external HD's or printers or anything connected. Just Keyboard, mouse, and Video.

qstar123

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Alright so here's the update when I tried with my 460. I was able to boot windows normally but once windows update installed the drivers for it, it crashed. I did get a step forward though because I am now able to reach the user login screen instead of crashing on the starting windows. In response to Jdnova, I am only running with my ethernet cable, mouse, keyboard and monitor. The only other HDD I can install to is an external 1TB that I use for storage. I'm going to try to wipe my SSD and then clean install with only my first DIMM slot in use.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
If you changed video cards and you were able to get to the desktop I think I may have found your issue. Here is my theory. I think the board is bad, and the reason I think that is when windows tries to install drivers for the GPU the computer blows up either when windows first installs or at the windows update site. Here is a way to test. Rebuild the windows os wiping the SSD. Do not use windows update for the graphics driver. Go directly to Nvidia and get it. If you run into the same issue. One of two probabilities remain from where I am sitting. Bad board or bad PSU. Windows wont enage Aero until the graphics driver is installed and that might just be enough to eff everything up. If you have switched GPU's and your still having this issue. I am wagering on the board being bad, try the clean install to confirm. Your thoughts?

qstar123

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Thanks alot for all of your feedback captjack. I just wiped the partition and reinstalled and was able to through normal bootup as usual. I force stopped windows updates and set it to manually download and install. I updated my nvidia drivers directly from their site. I'm about to restart and install all of the x64 win 7 updates and see if I can actually get through starting up this time. As for my opinion on the board/psu I'm leaning more toward the PSU. I went through a very lengthy hardware test earlier today through the newbuild forums and determined my newer HX850 pro series corsair was bad as it failed the paperclip test consistently. This PSU is 5 years old and my new mobo was just recieved RMA'd at 5 P.M. on the 16th. At least I'm hoping I won't have to go through a whole other RMA lol. I'll post back after this restart...crosses fingers

qstar123

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Alright, so yah..the restart yielded the same results: still consistently blue screening. It seems that what you said is accurate that the windows updates may be the cause that or the gpu drivers. As of right now I don't have a spare PSU to test if it could be my kingwin :??:

Do you think updating the BIOS would help at all?