Getting a PCIe 2.0 Card for an old PCIe 1.0 Mobo

I am thinking to buy 550 Ti or Similar GPU for my old computer.

Processor: Core2duo E7500
Mother Board: DG41RQ

The 550 Ti is a PCIe 2.0 Card while my old Mobo has 1 PCIe x16 slot. Will the Motherboard (PCIe 1.0)/CPU bottleneck the PCIe 2.0 card or it is good to go for it?
31 answers Last reply
More about getting pcie card pcie mobo
  1. Well Im using a PCIe 2.0 card on a PCIe x16 slot with no problems at all and I've played some recent games with it (skyrim comes to mind). It could be running slower than it's supposed to but I don't see any downsides
  2. I have a GTX460 1GB and it works fine in my PCIE1 slot....I have done a few bench mark checks and it was comparable to what the GTX 460 1GB is supposed to get
  3. Ok, so I am going to go for it.
    I thought that it wont to the max as it is only PCIe and not PCIe 2.0.

    Thanks
  4. Oh yes are you getting 550 ti? I tell you, do not get it, get a 460 1GB as said, for a little bit of increase. But big performance gain. Here is to show $10 increase:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130749
  5. Yea I have seen the benchmarks at passmark. But from where I live, there's a bigger difference between the cards. Can you advice another better or similar card other than the 460?
  6. it would be better to go lower card then 550ti like hd 6770 with good performance at cheaper price or faster like hd 6850 or gtx 460.

    whats your psu name/brand model?because they need a 6pin pcie connector without that gpu will not work.
  7. 6850 :)
  8. Do all gpu need a 6 pin pcie connectors?
    My PSU doesnt have a 6pin pcie connector.

    Will this do ?
    http://bit.ly/wctWpD

    Edit
    : I cant get the higher end cards like the 460 and 6850 as I am getting a 560ti 448 cores for my main Build.
  9. no all gpu doesnt need 6pin pcie connector some gpu need it and that link doesnt work.
  10. I will be mostly going for cards like 6770 (as suggested), 550ti etc

    Which connector do these 2 cards need?
  11. 1 6pin pcie connector like this



    if u have that then u can go for that cards or even higher like hd 6850.:)
  12. How can I find out which Card needs what type of connector? I cant find it in the details of any GPUs.
  13. 550 ti should need 1 6-pin power connector
  14. coverfire101 said:
    How can I find out which Card needs what type of connector? I cant find it in the details of any GPUs.

    There should be that kind of info on the manufacturer's website
  15. Can you link me(the website) -> whether 6770 needs a 6 pin PCIe or not.
    And I dont have a 6 Pin connector in my PSU. So can i use this http://bit.ly/wctWpD instead, if i have 2 '4 pin cable' extra?
  16. coverfire101 said:
    Can you link me(the website) -> whether 6770 needs a 6 pin PCIe or not.
    And I dont have a 6 Pin connector in my PSU. So can i use this http://bit.ly/wctWpD instead, if i have 2 '4 pin cable' extra?

    According to http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6770/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6770-overview.aspx#3 ''450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode).''
  17. Thanks.
    And what about this http://bit.ly/wctWpD. I dont have the 6 pin.
    Can I use this?
  18. coverfire101 said:
    Thanks.
    And what about this http://bit.ly/wctWpD. I dont have the 6 pin.
    Can I use this?

    I'm a bit braindead at the moment...could be the beer kicking in... anyway I THINK you can but I'm not sure
  19. coverfire101 said:
    How can I find out which Card needs what type of connector? I cant find it in the details of any GPUs.



    if u want to buy amd card then go to its site there will be given as system requirment and if u want to buy nvidia card then check the specification on the nvidia site of that card whichever you want to buy.:)
  20. what is the name/model brand of your psu?
  21. Lol, its this one.
    http://www.ebay.in/itm/iBall-LPS223-400-ATX-SMPS-Power-Supply-SATA-Connectors-Bill-/220945205090

    Looks like I will have to spend some money on a new psu.

    Its my cousins computer and he doesnt wishes to spend 40-50 bucks on the new PSU.
    So is hd 5670 a good choice for 400 watt withour a 6 Pin connector or should I get something else?
  22. there is no problem to use an pci 2.0 gpu in pci 1.0 slot they are all backward compatible
  23. pell380 said:
    there is no problem to use an pci 2.0 gpu in pci 1.0 slot they are all backward compatible

    Yes they are compatible but do they perform at full power?
  24. Wow, I thought it would be needing a 450 PSU.
    Good find!! Thanks.

    I am not buying a 5670 but just curious:

    http://www.flipkart.com/sapphire-amd-ati-radeon-hd-5670-1-gb-ddr3-graphics-card/p/itmd4f6sf4hh3pgg?pid=GRCD4F6RNBVHYUZH&_l=kU1DXUD2rAVAhPpFMXc
    http://www.flipkart.com/sapphire-amd-radeon-hd-5670-1-gb-gddr5-graphics-card/p/itmd4f6sf4hh3pgg?pid=GRCD5PHS48FP6JXS&_l=w8wR9spZjCx8gzLrcR470g--&_r=qVvQkZkyjPqt8hQkR_6QnQ--&ref=adb7bf87-2992-445b-9d10-93e32723354a

    They both have the same core speed but one is DDR3 and the other is DDR5.
    Is the DDR criteria taken into consideration while deciding the Performance of a card?
  25. akxpckwb said:
    Yes they are compatible but do they perform at full power?


    I had the same doubt, but DEY123 clarified that in the 3rd Post.
  26. akxpckwb said:
    Yes they are compatible but do they perform at full power?


    it doesnt matter slow or fast it works that matter and it will work and for speed there will be not a big differences between 1.0 and 2.0.:)
  27. coverfire101 said:
    I had the same doubt, but DEY123 clarified that in the 3rd Post.

    Yes he did. Forgot about it my bad. If the results are basically the same I wonder if it's worth it to buy a mobo with 2.0 PCIe slot
  28. coverfire101 said:
    Wow, I thought it would be needing a 450 PSU.
    Good find!! Thanks.

    I am not buying a 5670 but just curious:

    http://www.flipkart.com/sapphire-amd-ati-radeon-hd-5670-1-gb-ddr3-graphics-card/p/itmd4f6sf4hh3pgg?pid=GRCD4F6RNBVHYUZH&_l=kU1DXUD2rAVAhPpFMXc
    http://www.flipkart.com/sapphire-amd-radeon-hd-5670-1-gb-gddr5-graphics-card/p/itmd4f6sf4hh3pgg?pid=GRCD5PHS48FP6JXS&_l=w8wR9spZjCx8gzLrcR470g--&_r=qVvQkZkyjPqt8hQkR_6QnQ--&ref=adb7bf87-2992-445b-9d10-93e32723354a

    They both have the same core speed but one is DDR3 and the other is DDR5.
    Is the DDR criteria taken into consideration while deciding the Performance of a card?


    ddr5 will be more good because it gives better performance and fast then ddr3.:)
  29. akxpckwb said:
    Yes he did. Forgot about it my bad. If the results are basically the same I wonder if it's worth it to buy a mobo with 2.0 PCIe slot

    I think there is may be a difference if one is buying a higher end card. 6670 and all are the mid-high end cards.
    Anyways All Mobo's now come with PCIe 2.0 or better.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Processors Motherboards Graphics Product