• Power Supplies
  • Connection
  • PCI Express
  • Nvidia
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
August 6, 2012 4:09:42 AM

My PSU didn't come with a 6 pin PCI-e cord so I'm trying to hook up my Nvidia 9800 GT using some other methods. Here is a picture of the available ports I have on my PSU http://imgur.com/a/WqeM2#0xrvP. The last picture is of the PCI-e slot on the 9800 GT. My simple question is how do I connect them AND why does my connector http://imgur.com/wUcTz that I got only have 3 pins in each molex when the female molex attached to my PSU has 4 holes...

More about : simple molex question

a c 76 ) Power supply
August 6, 2012 4:26:59 AM

What PSU is it? Just need to be sure of the wattage.

As far as the molex to PCIe adapter goes, it only has 3 pins/wires because the missing pin/wire of the molex carries 5V power, which a PCIe power connector doesn't use. All a PCIe connector carries is 12V and that's what you'll have with the adapter.

And you connect two molex connectors to the adapter, like it looks like you do.
m
l
August 6, 2012 4:30:16 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
What PSU is it? Just need to be sure of the wattage.

As far as the molex to PCIe adapter goes, it only has 3 pins/wires because the missing pin/wire of the molex carries 5V power, which a PCIe power connector doesn't use. All a PCIe connector carries is 12V and that's what you'll have with the adapter.

And you connect two molex connectors to the adapter, like it looks like you do.

it's like a xgps-500, came with my prebuilt from cyberpower. On the sticker it says 500w soo think I'm good lol
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
August 6, 2012 4:35:55 AM

nquyen said:
it's like a xgps-500, came with my prebuilt from cyberpower. On the sticker it says 500w soo think I'm good lol

the more important information is the 12v rail and the overall quality of the PSU. There is absolutely no regulation for a psu company to slap on a sticker and say that a unit can run at this amount of watts.

example testing here
m
l
August 6, 2012 4:53:20 AM

dudewitbow said:
the more important information is the 12v rail and the overall quality of the PSU. There is absolutely no regulation for a psu company to slap on a sticker and say that a unit can run at this amount of watts.

example testing here

No clue what a 12V rail is but here's a shitty quality picture of my power supply: http://imgur.com/tZr1c (taken with my blackberry -.-)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
August 6, 2012 4:58:41 AM

assuming that the 2 12v rails can at least power 2/3rd of what its specificed, then you can possibly use a molex>6 pin connector. though what im more interested in is the model number located on the top left.
m
l
August 6, 2012 5:00:05 AM

dudewitbow said:
assuming that the 2 12v rails can at least power 2/3rd of what its specificed, then you can possibly use a molex>6 pin connector. though what im more interested in is the model number located on the top left.

says xgps-500 but when I type it into google nothing relevant shows up
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 6, 2012 5:00:40 AM

Can't read the brand name, but it IS a fairly weak unit to be labeled at 500W. Only 14A per 12V rail. That's puny for a 500W unit (168W max per rail).

It'll probably run a 9800 GT ok (only pulls 105W max), but it's a ticking time bomb, honestly.
m
l
August 6, 2012 5:03:26 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Can't read the brand name, but it IS a fairly weak unit to be labeled at 500W. Only 14A per 12V rail. That's puny for a 500W unit (168W max per rail).

It'll probably run a 9800 GT ok (only pulls 105W max), but it's a ticking time bomb, honestly.

By ticking time bomb... do you mean like I probably shouldn't use it...?
m
l
August 6, 2012 5:04:16 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:

Oh and the brand name is xtreme gear
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
August 6, 2012 5:06:00 AM

nquyen said:

essentially, over time, psu capacitors start to age, so the amount of current that can go through it is lower than its specified amount. how much it aged we cant tell, but there always come a time when it can happen.
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 6, 2012 5:06:50 AM

nquyen said:

Just saying I wouldn't trust it if you value your system.

It could be decent, but those numbers on the label aren't very comforting for a supposedly 500W unit.
m
l
August 6, 2012 5:08:31 AM

dudewitbow said:
essentially, over time, psu capacitors start to age, so the amount of current that can go through it is lower than its specified amount. how much it aged we cant tell, but there always come a time when it can happen.

I see, well I've been using it for probably nearing a year and half maybe or might just be a year. I've be doing mild gaming and mild graphic design. Sooo say it does give out, what exactly does that mean for my computer?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
August 6, 2012 5:11:07 AM

nquyen said:
I see, well I've been using it for probably nearing a year and half maybe or might just be a year. I've be doing mild gaming and mild graphic design. Sooo say it does give out, what exactly does that mean for my computer?

worst case scenario is that it takes something down with it. best case scenario is if it fails, it causes game to crash, which means its not getting enough power so it closed the program causing it to drain alot of power.
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 6, 2012 5:11:17 AM

nquyen said:

If it dies catastrophically, it can take almost everything down with it (usually the mobo and/or GPU). If it was a good quality unit, it would probably just die silently, and with nothing more than a whimper, but low quality units have a habit of doing a lot of damage.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
August 6, 2012 5:11:54 AM

depends on how nitpicky with the wallet the user is.
m
l
August 6, 2012 5:12:15 AM

Alright that doesn't seem too bad, however, in your honest opinion would you use it to power my 9800GT?
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 6, 2012 5:13:49 AM

nquyen said:
Alright that doesn't seem too bad, however, in your honest opinion would you use it to power my 9800GT?

I think it should be ok, but I just wouldn't trust it in my own system. That's my honest opinion on it.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
August 6, 2012 5:14:59 AM

The reason your adapter has only 3 plugs is because a regular molex has 4 pins, 12v, 5v and 2 grounds and there is no need for the 5v, so there is no pin going to it.

As for using the adapter, the best way would be to trace your power supply wires and take 1 molex from 1 string, 1 from another and try and use a 3rd for HD's if possible or at least 1 HD from each string. it's less power going down each string at the very least. Just don't use 4 molexs from 1 string for a HD, DVD and the two for your video card if possible, spread it out.
m
l
August 6, 2012 5:15:02 AM

I see well after reading the other guy's comment about it going out in a blaze of glory, I've decided to throw this POS PSU down the toilet and invest in something better. Recommend anything? Preferably under like $35 <3
m
l
August 6, 2012 5:16:40 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I think it should be ok, but I just wouldn't trust it in my own system. That's my honest opinion on it.

Quote:
I see well after reading the other guy's comment about it going out in a blaze of glory, I've decided to throw this POS PSU down the toilet and invest in something better. Recommend anything? Preferably under like $35 <3
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
August 6, 2012 5:26:25 AM

nquyen said:
Hmm how's this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Only 450W but I think the 9800 GT only needs like 400w?

That'll do. It's not great, but at least it's A LOT better quality than the unit you have.

Edit: dudewitbow just linked the one that you did, lol.
m
l

Best solution

a c 76 ) Power supply
August 6, 2012 5:28:48 AM

nquyen said:
Is there a way to give best answer to two people?

Haha, nah, but go ahead and give it to dudewitbow, I have enough. :) 
August 6, 2012 5:29:11 AM

Alright guys freakin love you <3 Is there a way to give best answer to two people?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
August 6, 2012 5:30:02 AM

give it to him, i dont need it, i really dont care lol.

why so indecisive.
m
l
August 6, 2012 5:41:58 AM

Best answer selected by nquyen.
m
l
August 6, 2012 5:42:36 AM

Alright can't thank you guys enough, <3
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply