Is my psu an over kill

olympusstar

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Hi everyone,

Hope I am in the right area.I was wondering if my psu was an over kill, as my graphics card failed last week and I was told by the shop that my psu was to poweriful for my graphics card. Could this be true?
asus m5a78l/usb3
ocz 600w
sapphire radeon hd6770 vapor-x 1gb gddr5 overclocked edition
phenom II x4 960t
corsair vengeance 8gb lp
seagate 500gb 7200
windows 7 ultimate 64bit

thanks

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
The guy at the shop is full of crap. The job of the power supply is to provide the proper ammount of current to each component. It doesnt matter how powerful it is, it is supposed to regulate power output. You could get away with a less powerful psu(around 500watts), but 600 watts is by no means overkill. You could run a 1200watt psu in that system without harming anything, if the psu works like it should, but that would of course be a waste of money

No. You need find a better computer shop.

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
No not at all.

The shopkeeper sounds a really funny because he is advising something which could never happen, damage any component even though the system power is overkill which is not actually overkill.

The psu will provide only the power required by the cpu and the extra power gets holds or is rejected by the psu until or unless system requires extra power.

May be your PSU be at a fault.Try getting some standard psu from either Seasonic or Corsair.