Why do i lag on nearly every game hd4650

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Lag
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2012 5:40:30 PM

Hello,
i play games like call of duty 4 or cs:s or l4d2 or league of legends and dirt 2 and i am getting severe lag and cant play

pc specs :

intel pentium d 3.4ghz
xfx hd 4650 1gb ddr2 11.11 drivers
2gb ddr2 ram
not sure on mobo
and a 300w power supply from dell dimension 3000

More about : lag game hd4650

February 15, 2012 5:45:59 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here say your computer is pretty weak for the game's you are trying to play.

try lowering the grapics settings, those might be too high for your build.
February 15, 2012 5:52:59 PM

atm i am on low settings and i am lagging
Related resources
February 15, 2012 5:58:51 PM

Yeah, I could see that on COD and l4d2, but not on CSS.

does it start running fine AND THEN start lagging, or does it lag from the moment you start playing?
February 15, 2012 5:58:54 PM

What resolution are you trying to play at?
February 15, 2012 6:01:30 PM

i play at 1360x768 resolution (native) for my monitor and it will lag at begging for 1-2 mins then it will be fine for 10 minutes then start lagging, but on some games i still lag at 1024x768
February 15, 2012 6:04:16 PM

Were you used to be able to play them?

February 15, 2012 6:05:04 PM

minimejmd said:
i play at 1360x768 resolution (native) for my monitor and it will lag at begging for 1-2 mins then it will be fine for 10 minutes then start lagging, but on some games i still lag at 1024x768

still not ruling out crappy computer, but there might be heat issues.
February 15, 2012 6:07:38 PM

you def need more than 2gb of ram thats for sure....always helps to add more.
February 15, 2012 6:13:50 PM

max my motherboard can take is 2 gb so i cant upgrade that, my comp restarts randomly when i have side of the pc on so i took it off i have an extra fan but when i plug it in the computer doesnt turn on
February 15, 2012 6:19:41 PM

man you asked all wrong,
newer ask why my game lag our of blue, all you get is "your PC suck"

To help we need some history, like i played game all good then all sudden i visited this good site that that told me i won Nigerian lottery and now i can't play well. :) 
other wise this will end up as discussion about hot to upgrade your pc lol

Most likely something taking bite out of your CPU (bad stuff that starts using cpu 100%) if its intermittent.
February 15, 2012 6:25:54 PM

you have enough ram to play this with 0 lag.

is this a new issue or was it working fine in the past

you could try running something like coretemp, run the game, as soon as it lags minimize to windows and quickly check the cpu temperature.
how much ventilation does you graphics card and computer have?
February 15, 2012 6:28:13 PM

not much so i took the side off to prevent heating im going to play some left 4 dead 2 and test temperatures of both cpu and gpu
February 15, 2012 6:33:04 PM

Why my game lag?!?! My hardware i sonly 5 years old! :p 
Anonymous
February 15, 2012 6:40:21 PM

duxducis said:
Most likely something taking bite out of your CPU (bad stuff that starts using cpu 100%) if its intermittent.

+1

it probably be painless to open your task manager (right click on taskbar) and go to your processes to see if something looks "odd" then use Ccleaner and go to tools<start up and do a little house cleaning.
February 15, 2012 6:40:52 PM

can you please answer whether or not this is a new issue? did it lag in the past? or did it work fine with 0 lag
February 15, 2012 6:44:40 PM

it lagged on games all the time so i upgraded from a 6600gt to a xfx radeon hd 4650 1gb ddr2 and i still lag i went to 19 fps in l4d2 cpu never went to 100% but the temp strangely says 40 'C all the time
February 15, 2012 6:49:19 PM

Get a new computer. Only solution.
February 15, 2012 6:52:28 PM

guess ill play xbox after wasting over £100
February 15, 2012 7:18:04 PM

reinstall windows. Check GPU temperatures. Not just CPU.
February 15, 2012 7:27:23 PM

minimejmd said:
my comp restarts randomly when i have side of the pc on so i took it off i have an extra fan but when i plug it in the computer doesnt turn on

Heat! When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Specifically using compressed air to blast the dust out of your CPU and GPU heat sinks? This is something that should be done every year at least once.

EDIT: Also possibly a bad power supply.
February 15, 2012 7:35:53 PM

Well the Xbox is about as old as your PC, so shouldnt be much different. Enjoy the console!
February 15, 2012 7:49:07 PM

wolfram23 said:
Heat! When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Specifically using compressed air to blast the dust out of your CPU and GPU heat sinks? This is something that should be done every year at least once.

EDIT: Also possibly a bad power supply.

Agreed, Power supply is most likely not sufficient. Clean out the PC. Also, check task manager when it slows down. Are there any processes taking up an unusual amount of CPU? Is the CPU maxed at 100%? Heck, even do some general cleanup like a defrag.
February 15, 2012 8:31:52 PM

best option if it's not overheating is a fresh install of windows.
will eliminate any conflicts and other hungry apps.

i don't think it will be psu
February 15, 2012 9:29:50 PM

its a new build new windows im going to sell everything and save up for a new pc
February 15, 2012 9:45:44 PM

minimejmd said:
its a new build new windows im going to sell everything and save up for a new pc

That would be a good idea. You can get a PC to run that monitor for probably $800, maybe less. Although at that price, every $20 extra means a pretty decent upgrade lol. $1000 can get a really solid machine.

Anyway, whenever you're ready to buy, people here are happy to help configure it.
February 15, 2012 9:50:32 PM

Thanks but i have no where near that amount of money only 14 :( 
Anonymous
February 15, 2012 11:53:32 PM

minimejmd said:
Thanks but i have no where near that amount of money only 14 :( 

GET A JOB!

ok just kidding . . . i understand what its like to be young and broke, sorta sux the big one, eh? maybe you can find things to do to make a few dollars to save.

in the meantime there are old arcade games your current set up can play to entertain you, while you first save to get a GOOD power supply; 700w with at least one/two 25 amp 12 volt rail(s). (somewhere around 90-125 dollars US)you can then throw out that 300w dell junk and use it immediately.

but then the next is your mobo, cpu and ram (too bad that ddr2 is outdated and you can't salvage that.) no matter which way you go (AMD or intel) we are talking about twice the price of the power supply.

after getting those and hooking up to that spiffy PSU you can look at your video card, which has done well for what its worth but will be holding you back from killing ginormous amount of zombies. i am sure after your hard work at earning the money for the system and effort you put into building it, you will be able to make a wise choice of what to get.

you could get lucky and earn enough in just a few short months though it probably will seem to take forever. i wish you well with that and take care :) 
February 16, 2012 12:17:32 AM

I had problems with TF2 randomly lagging, and it turned out that i just needed to defrag the game cache. It wasn't a constant lag though. I was running on a laptop with a 5650m (less powerful than a desktop 4650) so the graphics card shouldn't be a problem.

Another option, if you can swing about $60, would be to replace your motherboard while still keeping the same CPU and ram etc. then you could upgrade to 3-4 GB of ram whenever you can afford. You can find DDR2 pretty cheap, and there plenty of perfectly good used 775 motherboards floating around.

Tiger direct has some new 775 boards too: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/catego...
Most of those motherboards run on DDR3, so you could use the ram again when you decide to upgrade.

As an aside, L4D2 runs perfectly fine for me at 800x600 on low settings on about the same specs as yours, but with 3 GB of ram and my old 6600GT 128mb card.
February 16, 2012 2:03:19 AM

While upgrading the mobo now and the ram later and the cpu after that, 775 is a long dead socket and it would just put throwing good money after bad in the long run. Better to just use what he's got now and get a new setup as he can later.

I think loonian's advice is pretty good. Decent PSU (honestly even a 500-600W from a good brand will suffice for most single GPU setups), then a new mobo/cpu/ram combo, followed by a gpu later.
February 16, 2012 2:22:06 AM

500W is plenty there is no need to go for 700W.
February 16, 2012 2:50:29 AM

I used to play CS:S on a very similar computer (3200+ barton single core and an x800 pro) I believe I had less ram so you should be fine.

League of legends - my buddy plays on a computer with a single core amd (2800+) with an x1300se.

He has same ram as you and does not lag - he skypes at the same time...

I think COD 4 may be too much for your system. Dirt 2 I have no idea.
February 16, 2012 9:59:26 AM

on league of legends my fps drops to 14 but in nearly every game i am in a skype call because i talk to my mates
February 16, 2012 10:06:35 AM

bigj231 said:
I had problems with TF2 randomly lagging, and it turned out that i just needed to defrag the game cache. It wasn't a constant lag though. I was running on a laptop with a 5650m (less powerful than a desktop 4650) so the graphics card shouldn't be a problem.

Another option, if you can swing about $60, would be to replace your motherboard while still keeping the same CPU and ram etc. then you could upgrade to 3-4 GB of ram whenever you can afford. You can find DDR2 pretty cheap, and there plenty of perfectly good used 775 motherboards floating around.

Tiger direct has some new 775 boards too: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/catego...
Most of those motherboards run on DDR3, so you could use the ram again when you decide to upgrade.

As an aside, L4D2 runs perfectly fine for me at 800x600 on low settings on about the same specs as yours, but with 3 GB of ram and my old 6600GT 128mb card.

i just upgraded from a pentium 4 and a 6600gt and ddr1 ram and i could too play l4d2 on low graphics
February 16, 2012 1:43:01 PM

What suggestion of power supply should i get need molex for cd drive , 2 ide drives and gpu and 20 pin mobo
February 16, 2012 6:12:47 PM

You need to check also how much stuff you got running in the backround, you may have 2gb of ram and it appears sufficient but you could be maxing it out when you play a game.
Download and use CCleaner and check out whats in your start up , disable stupid things like adobe and other software updaters that are unessary resource hoggers. Reboot your pc and see the difference in ram usage and also the reduced amount of processes.
Start your game again and see if you get better gameplay , if you do go back and double check if there are any other start up programs in CCleaner you can do without, do a celan up using CCleaner and also do the registry clean, then give your hard drive a good defrag, hopefully your system will be more responsive, nothing worng with giving it a tune up sometimes its the cheapet performance boost your pc can get.
February 16, 2012 6:40:39 PM

i got ccleaner today some games smoother just hope my pc can hopefully run mw3 this weekend as mw3 is on free weekend on steam
February 16, 2012 6:44:01 PM

Ah good to hear , it really does help on older systems , have a look at anything that hogs your system resources, and disable them.
February 16, 2012 6:50:05 PM

its mainly steam but i need that to play games
February 16, 2012 6:53:37 PM

Yup thats true.

Here is a really good guide I recomend you read , follow the steps to learn about reducing services in which windows you are running, it makes a huge difference, hope it can help you, I recomend it to many people with older systems to use.
You will find your ram usage drop and your pc will become more responsive and may also reduce the lag you are suffering in games.
Goodluck!
http://www.blackviper.com/
February 17, 2012 8:16:59 AM

Hmm I can run mw3 VERY LOW SETTINGS but it seems better than cod 4
!