Sign in with
Your question

Gt 430 or 2 5450s

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2012 7:19:46 PM

Hello, I am new to building computers so I would really appreciate some help with choosing the right graphics cards for me.

I currently own a gt 430 and it seems to run games fine on lower-medium settings however I am really looking for an upgrade.

I have been looking into "crossfireX" because I want to use 2 graphics card, I also want to run 2 monitors.

On my search for a new graphics card I came across the following:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004J0YBYI/sr=1-6/qi...

I am wondering if it would be best to use 2 of those or my current gt 430.

Sorry for woffling on, I would really appreciate some help from the pros :) 

Here are some of the other components I bought for my new computer:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 990FX Socket AM3+ 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-8 8150 8 Core 3.6Ghz
Memory: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz

I also currently only have a 500w PSU, would that be enough?

Thank you to everyone who replies.

More about : 430 5450s

a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2012 8:23:18 PM

I dont understand why you are going so cheap on video card you spend 250 on CPU and prob 150 on mobo... lowest videocard for that setup I would even consider would be a 550Ti or a 6850...maybe 6790 for around $100

Thent
February 15, 2012 8:39:56 PM

thently said:
I dont understand why you are going so cheap on video card you spend 250 on CPU and prob 150 on mobo... lowest videocard for that setup I would even consider would be a 550Ti or a 6850...maybe 6790 for around $100

Thent

To be completely honest, It's because I don't know very much about video cards. Forgive my stupidity but I thought because the 5450 was 2gb it means it was better but I was clearly wrong.

I took up your advice and found 550ti for ~£100, would it be worth my while to buy 2 of those?

And what sort of PSU would I need for this setup?

Thank you very much for your help Thent
Related resources
February 15, 2012 9:14:55 PM

Quote:
1 card is always better but 2 are more powerful.
SLi and CFX has many issues like bad scaling and microstutter.
Also it requires good maintanence.

200 quid........

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-gigabyte-hd-6950-oc-...(x16)-5000mhz-gddr5-gpu-870mhz-1408cores-2x-dvi-dp-hdmi

Or if you can stretch a bit further:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1280mb-gainward-gtx-570-...

Thank you so much, I really appreciate how you have gone out of your way to help me.

I am very happy to have stumbled across this forum.

If I ordered the 6950 which you linked me, do you think I would need a bigger PSU than 500w? taking into account it is also a fairly cheap brand I think.
February 15, 2012 9:24:59 PM

Quote:
Can you provide me with the psu model and manufacturer?

It is an "Alpine 500w Silent Power Supply"

I bought it at a local computer faire, the salesman said it was good but perhaps he was taking advantage of the new kid on the block :( 
February 15, 2012 9:49:48 PM

Quote:
Lol yeah great game.... but this is not a thread about Shenmue :p 

That's what sucks about TH Forums to dense and nobody has a sense of humor well that and recommending AMD over Intel gets people banned suckin Bigots. Anyway thanx and I will be expecting a ban will soon follow.
February 15, 2012 9:50:59 PM

Ah well, lucky I didn't waste too much money on that cheap psu.

I wrote a list of the things I need to buy, feels very exciting to be building my first computer, hopefully it will last me a fair amount of time without too many hiccups.

Since I can't shake your hand or buy you a pint online, I just wanted to say that you have my deepest gratitude. I really appreciate how you have welcomed and helped me.

!