Dell Laptop, Retarded Wife, And You

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Sorry for the semi-derogatory title but my anger runs deep at the moment.

My dell xps 15z laptop was working fine until my wife for some stupid reason tried to reinstall Windows and erased my hard drive.

Here's my problem: The dam laptop works as if the wireless no longer exists. I dont have the option to connect to the internet wirelessly anymore--it doesnt recognize any networks at all. I went to my network adapter via device manager and it says its "working properly." Turned on the wireless of course at the start of course. I'm at a loss. Besides password protecting my laptop so that no retard can do this again (and short of taking the dam thing to the local Geek Squad agent) what should I do? :fou:

Solution
You have most likely disabled the wifi. Meaning not disconnected, but disabled. Also, you may have to set up the entire network again through the wizard in Windows Control Panel.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
You have most likely disabled the wifi. Meaning not disconnected, but disabled. Also, you may have to set up the entire network again through the wizard in Windows Control Panel.

Solution

Balrog49

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2015
This thread started a long time ago but I just found a solution that worked for me.

1. Plug in an Ethernet cable and get Internet access.

2. Go to Device Manager -> Network adapters -> and double-click Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230.

3. Click the Driver tab and uninstall the driver.

4. Go to Dell Support (dell.com/support/home) and jump through the hoops necessary for Dell to identify your computer model.

5. Go to Drivers and Downloads. Don't pay any attention to what Dell thinks you should download.

6. Find "Other ways to find drivers" and click "Browse all drivers for XPS 15Z L511Z".

7. Click Network and download Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030/Advanced-N 6230 Driver (should be the first one on the list).

8. Click Run to allow the installation to proceed.

9. If the installation fails because you don't have the right .NET framework, allow it install the framework for you.

10. Repeat the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030/Advanced-N 6230 Driver installation. It should finish this time.

11. Download and run the Intel Centrino Wireless-N1030, 6230 Bluetooth 3.0+HS Application.

12. Reboot.

13. When the system comes back up, press Fn-F2.

14. Right-click the network icon in the notification area (you may need to enable it) and select Settings.

15. Set the Wi-Fi toggle switch at the top to On.

16. You should see a list of available wireless networks.