Sign in with
Your question

Bizarre Battlefield 3 performance gtx 560 ti 448

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2012 7:50:13 PM

Hey Guys,

I recently upgraded my GPU to a GTX 560 ti 448 from Inno3D. I've had a lot of trouble making the move from and AMD card to Nvidia and upgrading my PSU, but the bottom line is that everything now seems to be working ok except for one thing: Battlefield 3.

I was playing on an HD 5750 comfortably on mid-high settings averaging a smooth 40fps, even with HBAO and AF. Since I bought the GTX 560 Ti 448, however, things have been pretty horrible. I can't seem to get any better than 50 fps, even on low settings with no AA or anything. Even then, it chugs along like a pathetic dying mule between 0-19FPS any time I move too quickly or, god forbid, pull the trigger.

I initially tried the included 285.66 drivers, then upped to the latest beta 295.51 driver once I noticed the problems in Battlefield 3 to see if it was a driver issue, but the problem persists.

I invested a fair bit of cash between the card and the PSU, but I'm getting horrible results in the game I probably play the most. So my question is, what gives??

AMD Phenom xII OC 3.4Ghz
4GB Ram (2x2GB)
GTX 560 Ti 448
Running 1920x1080.

I'd ask on Battlefield/Nvidia forums but the community here is much more civil and reliable.

Hope you can help guys.

EDIT: I just noticed that this only happens on Multiplayer. On SP I'm getting a comfortable average of 55-60 with all settings on Ultra except textures and no MSAA. I don't know if that helps the diagnosis :p  (Note: it's definitely not a connection issue)

Mike
February 15, 2012 8:17:39 PM

You can always try the latest nvidia beta driver 295.51.

I don't know if this is a viable solution for you, but maybe try to reinstall windows? That way everything is fresh.
February 15, 2012 8:23:09 PM

That's the driver I have installed, sorry for the confusion bud. I can't really because I have soooo many programs for work and things installed on here it would be a nightmare going through all that.

Could it just be that the drivers aren't quite there yet for my specific card? It's a new and limited GPU so it may be the case that NVidia are still ironing out some issues for Battlefield 3 with this particular card?
Related resources
February 16, 2012 12:23:15 AM

i had a similar problem when installed my new 6950, what i did to solve it was to uninstall the drivers and then run driver sweeper, that fixed the problem for me, try that
a b Î Nvidia
February 16, 2012 12:48:12 AM

It's basically a GTX570 so I'm sure the drivers should be able to handle it fine. I'd try mega's idea.
a b Î Nvidia
February 16, 2012 1:18:40 AM

Yea, a re-install of windows is unnecessary for your situation. A driver chould would be good. But i will tell you man, When i played BF3 with one GTX 560 ti i only got avg of 45-50 and that just wasnt good enough, once i SLI'd everything runs much better. Hopefully its not your CPU bottlnecking you. What Phenom chip do you have?. Which i am 100% positive its not your CPU so we won't go there. try newer drivers
February 16, 2012 1:19:53 AM

Multiplayer uses way more CPU than the single player. There's no way DICE considered multiplayer when specifying the system requirments.
Hit ~ to bring up console
Type Render.PerfOverlayEnable 1
Type Render.PerfOverlayVisible 1
Hit ~ to close console

The graph shows the time taken in milliseconds by both the GPU and CPU to render frames. If the GPU line is lower than the CPU line, then the CPU is bottlenecking the video performance. Check it out and let us know.

*Edit* As a note I had a lot of swapping with only 4GB of RAM installed, and each time that HD light blinked, I got stutters and hiccups. Upgraded to 8GB and whadya know no more frame rate dips and I've even seen total memory usage hit 4.3 GB.
a b Î Nvidia
February 16, 2012 5:31:07 AM

Yup you are limited by your system ram , its too low!

Mine hits 5.5 GB of ram at times , so you will need to add more ram , take it up to 8gb and watch the difference , gameplay will be much smoother with everything maxxed out on BF3.
Same thing happened to me when I had 4 gb, bumped it up to 8gb , problem solved :) 
February 16, 2012 6:25:30 AM

monsta said:
Yup you are limited by your system ram , its too low!

Mine hits 5.5 GB of ram at times , so you will need to add more ram , take it up to 8gb and watch the difference , gameplay will be much smoother with everything maxxed out on BF3.
Same thing happened to me when I had 4 gb, bumped it up to 8gb , problem solved :) 

but the 5750 plays better than Nvidia some how Nvidia Drivers seem the culprit once again.
February 16, 2012 2:09:40 PM

I agree with the previous posts - regarding RAM and using the beta driver for the nvidia card.

If for some reason you find you are getting delays in between movement - that's a problem I also had. It turns out that unchecking the box "Raw Mouse Input" fixed my problem mostly - but is fully resolved by resetting the computer and running BF3 again.

Kinda stupid really, but hopefully that will be fixed soon. So far no more problems on my end there. Hopefully you can get a smooth running game soon
- 0bi
February 16, 2012 3:08:20 PM

Hey thanks guys.

So I tried the console commands and it shows that the CPU is only slightly above the GPU line, though the GPU actually spikes above it during firefights etc.

Disabling the Raw Mouse Input did improve things, so thanks for that. I guess all I can really do is upgrade RAM when I get a chance and hope Nvidia get some better drivers sorted out.

Cheers again guys.
a b Î Nvidia
February 16, 2012 6:05:15 PM

Boopoo said:
but the 5750 plays better than Nvidia some how Nvidia Drivers seem the culprit once again.

Using a 5750 would not allow you to play at higher settings to even utilise the amount of power and ram, thats why you had no ram issues, the 560ti 448 is a much higher end card in comparison, it uses more power and ram to play at max settings, nvidia drivers is not your problem here, especially when I find thier drivers to be better than the ATI ones.
February 16, 2012 6:26:48 PM

monsta said:
Using a 5750 would not allow you to play at higher settings to even utilise the amount of power and ram, thats why you had no ram issues, the 560ti 448 is a much higher end card in comparison, it uses more power and ram to play at max settings, nvidia drivers is not your problem here, especially when I find thier drivers to be better than the ATI ones.

Wells it's Radeon not Ati plus many other people are playing BF3 just fine on 4gb of ram I would suggest OP to just go Radeon like most everyone is now in days and TH this month recommend 14 Radeons out of 18 cards mentioned.
a b Î Nvidia
February 16, 2012 6:37:44 PM

Boopoo said:
Wells it's Radeon not Ati plus many other people are playing BF3 just fine on 4gb of ram I would suggest OP to just go Radeon like most everyone is now in days and TH this month recommend 14 Radeons out of 18 cards mentioned.

LOL!
February 16, 2012 6:46:42 PM

monsta said:
LOL!

Ya I know it suck to be an Nvidia fanboy today och!
a b Î Nvidia
February 16, 2012 6:47:39 PM

Boopoo said:
Ya I know it suck to be an Nvidia fanboy today och!

Troll please......
February 16, 2012 6:51:10 PM

monsta said:
Troll please......

LOL...
February 16, 2012 9:42:11 PM

Ok, so far this looks like a good solution for anyone in a similar situation to me. Follow the relevant steps in this thread and it really evens the game out. Far from perfect mind you, but certainly better. All that remains is for Nvidia to get a quality driver for the card (285.62 isn't compatible with 448 core edition) and hopefully it'll be smooth sailing.

Here's the link:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1153309/battlefield-3-fixes-...
March 14, 2012 9:50:13 AM

I just need to say thankyou for the helpful info, I have recently just upgraded from a 1gb GTX 460 to the new 560 ti 448.

I have had nothing but problems with BF but the main issue is that after 20 mins of gameplay the system starts going crazy for example if i am in a jet 1 second i am taking off then the system locks up and then the next second i have either crashed or i am at the other end of the map.

I originally thought this was due to not having enough Video memory so i lowered the resolution and set everything to high instead of ultra but made no difference.

However my 460 ran absolutely fine @ 1920 x 1080 4xaa all on high settings. I like the others have stated only have 4gb of ram so i think i will upgrade this to 8 or even 16gb this weekend.

I have noticed that BF3 maxes out my Ram so i did set pagefile up on the SSD hoping this would help but it has not made any difference. I will post my results.
!