+12V Reading Very Low, PSU Dying?

JMelsom

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
So my +12V is reading 4.48V in every hardware monitor I can find (apparently it always has now that I checked) and unfortunately I don't have and can't buy a multimeter. Thing is for such a low voltage I'm still on the computer and I can run games but if my settings are too high the computer shuts off completely with no warning (with that said this has happened with Starcraft 2, MSI Kombustor, and OCCT). My CPU & GPU temperatures are fine I've always monitored them closely with my CPU being 40C-55C and my GPU being 50C-65C. This has just begun happening recently. ALSO my BIOS shows NO Voltage information except for DIMM & BUS Voltage. Here are my specs (I forgot to turn something off int he background so they might be a lil off).

Coolmax VL-600B Power Supply - 600-Watt
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
512MB nVidia GeForce 9800GT (EVGA)
6GB RAM
Windows 7 64-Bit

HWMonitor
PCVoltage.png

PCWizard
PCVoltage2.png

SpeedFan
PCVoltage3.png

Its a software glitch, it would seem they cannot figure out how to read from your motherboard's monitoring chip properly. I know that reading is wrong because every motor in your system uses the 12 V source to run, and if it were at less than 7 volts i doubt your hard drive motor could even have started.

If you want to see what it is really at, reboot and check it in BIOS, that is one of the more accurate techniques to check voltage.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I would agree with bigcyco1, it's likely that voltage levels are reading incorrectly, but your PSU is not a good one, and is likely the reason your computer shuts down suddenly under stress. Get rid of it before it causes permanent damage.

InvalidError

Titan

DSO = Digital Storage Oscilloscope, the most common type nowadays but still not something even a typically geek would own. PC-based options start around $200, "real" ones start around $3000.
DMM = Digital Multi-Meter, a much more common piece of equipment for anyone who deals with electricity/electronics troubleshooting/testing on a regular basis. Cheap ones can be had for as little as $20, good ones start around $80.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

I would agree, my opinion is that the video card would be a distant second possible cause. IF for some reason the PSU doesn't fix it, I wouldn't count the purchase as wasted, as replacing your current PSU may still avert some future catastrophe. If you'd like some interesting worst case scenario cheap PSU stories, check out this article http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html it's a bit of an extreme example of the things that can happen, but it really makes you think about the danger in skimping on the PSU :) (or inadvertently buying a crummy brand, not all of them give you what you pay for)

JMelsom

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Ok hopefully I don't jynx this but I underclocked my Video card to true stock (my 9800gt is the EVGA factory OC one and I went to what it is for the not OC one) and took out my PSU and blew it out and got dust out of it....now it hasn't shut off, and all my temps are fine also. I'm still going to replace it but it is odd O.O