Help connecting PC to 42" Samsung

seanpope1

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hello all, yesterday I decided to buy an HDMI cable and plug my old unused laptop into my TV. The TV is a samsung 720p with a native resolution of 1365x768. In the windows utility it wants to set it at 1024 x 768 and any other setting is messed up looking. Problem is video at 1024x768 is just a little too wide looking and it's driving me nuts. I've tried powerstrip to no avail and I'm looking for some help here. Is it just not possible with an old video card and an odd resolution tv to achieve a perfect balance?

Sean

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I'm thinking that you have had to do a windows re-install on the old laptop and the whatever type of graphics it has does not have updated drivers. I think that is the reason you can't properly change the resolution.

@seanpope1, check for updated video drivers for your laptop. In case this does not help, your TV should have a setting to stretch the image (and you should un-check that). I see no reason for re-install, though.

You can be more specific with your laptop make and model if you need further help.

seanpope1

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
It's a gateway T-1628 and I believe the graphics are ati x1270. I went to ATI's site and I believe I have the most recent. Under resolution, I have plenty of options, all the way up to 1080p but this "odd" resolution of 1365x768 is not on there. I know that using a tv with a native resolution of 1920x1280 like a 1080p set would fix the problems, but that is not an option at this point. Is it standard now for video cards to support resolutions like my tv's native? Thanks for the help.

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I've never used a tv with that resolution but I believe it should still auto detect any resolution to whatever it's connected to. Are you using control panel or ati's program to change settings? I don't have much experience with ati/amd cards but with Nvidia you would be better off using Nvidia control panel since it has more options, so try using ATI's software.