chickenfoot

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hey guys! I finally got my computer together and updated all the drivers. First homebuild since I was a kid

I5-2500k
Corsair Carbide 500r
MSI GTX 560ti 448 twin frozr 3
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16 (2*8) gig ddr3 Corsair 1600 (probably could have done with 8)
Corsair 64gb SSD sata3
Cooler master RS800
Basic dvd/cd

Im sure I'll be on here looking how to overclock at some point lol, but this is pretty amazing to me. I plan on getting a 500 gig HD at some point because im already out of room; and a CPU cooler + fans.

Some things I overlooked during my build:
The case fans are 3 pin, the motherboards are 4 pin (except in the "thermal armor")
The USB 3.0 header that is on the front of the MOBO cannot be connected to the wires from the case because the MOBO sits in a valley, and the distance from the header to the valley wall is not long enough to attach the cable.

Anway, I was just pretty blown away with it already and felt like sharing! Does anyone know any safe benchmark tests to run on this to see where I stand up? Thanks!

James McKeane

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
This is just a errant idea, but i would've gotten a cheaper but equally reliable psu, a cheaper case, and only 8GB 1600, and waited for (or get) the i5 3750K.

Great rig, though. I guess speed is the name of game for this one.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust Cooler Master power supplies farther than I can throw them, and that was a little much RAM. Would've also said 128GB is the minimum I would look at for an SSD because otherwise it would drive me out of my mind. But if you can live with it, that's all that matters.

That is a very good machine, though; not a bad effort at all for your first time getting back into it, just little mistakes. You ought to be very happy with it.