Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What's the best GPU , that will work with my specs?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2012 11:56:50 PM

Im thinking of upgrading my video card in the next couple of months its a HD6670 GDDR5, I noticed it lags on high resolution setting and vertical sync on :(  and oh I want to play in quality & performance :love: 
dont know but, it's weird cause I use to play in low resolution 1024x768... now that I found love on high resolution gaming i bought a bigger lcd lol , 23 inch samsung LCD led monitor (wide screen)

my spec
cooler master extreme power plus 500 watt
(it has 36amps or something? dont even know for sure :??:  )
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3738

Asus
P5G41t-MLX3

Intel
quad core q6600 2.4ghz

1 stick of ddr3 4 gig ram (kingston)

1 Hardrive

140 gig sata hardrive 7200 rpm? not sure about it

1 dvd drive
LG

casing
2 small fans lol

here's the question, what's the best video card the I can get with this settings?
someone told me in here a gtx 560 ti?

thank you in advance for those who will help and share there knowledge , :love:  :)  :bounce: 

edit: please don't recommend a new power supply, my boyfriend could get sad if I replaced my PSU
(which he bought for me) , thank you :wahoo: 

More about : gpu work specs

Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 12:21:23 AM

hushinimi said:
Im thinking of upgrading my video card in the next couple of months its a HD6670 GDDR5, I noticed it lags on high resolution setting and vertical sync on :(  and oh I want to play in quality & performance :love: 
dont know but, it's weird cause I use to play in low resolution 1024x768... now that I found love on high resolution gaming i bought a bigger lcd lol , 23 inch samsung LCD led monitor (wide screen)

my spec
cooler master extreme power plus 500 watt
(it has 36amps or something? dont even know for sure :??:  )
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3738

edit: please don't recommend a new power supply, my boyfriend could get sad if I replaced my PSU
(which he bought for me) , thank you :wahoo: 

that has TWO 18 amp 12 volt rails and it really is not desirable to "cross" them; use both on one card.

SO if you want to keep your PSU and boyfriend happy we look at 18*12(amps*volts) for 216 watts.

a GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores Limited Edition Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 210 W
http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gtx-560ti/...

you follow?

however that would put some stress on you 12 volt rail, be good to keep it down 15% of max with the GTX 560 Ti Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 170 W

and maybe get a little better performance from your ram by dropping in a matched set for dual channel . . .that q6600 should be ok for most games but if you see a deal on a q9550 don't pass it up.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 12:52:26 AM

That is a little bit close when her PSU is for peak power and not constant and not only that it is on the list of not to buy Plus it is only a 70% load efficiency that tells me it is not constant power.

210 and 216 not much room there that I would trust when it is labled as a bad PSU. But it is what it is. In my opinion I would not trust that PSU with the 560 ti or the 560 ti 448.

Here is the list and it is on the tier 4 which 4 is the one you don't want a PSU on. Also It only delivers 75% of the load at any given time. I know your boyfriend will be sad but he will even be more sad if you burn up a 250 dollar card.

What is 75% of 216w I believe it is 162w. Here is the list you can look for your self. And in the second link is AMD certified power supplys It's not there. I know I am not what you wanted to hear and I am sorry for that. I do wish you the best of luck

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

http://support.amd.com/us/certified/power-supplies/Page...
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 2:28:28 AM

^ +1 on the 70% which means 151 watts . .

so that leaves:

GeForce GTX 550 Ti Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 116 W
or
AMD Radeon™ HD 6/7770 one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector

that is keeping your PSU.

going further in upgrading your card would mean making your boyfriend sad and checking out the links DM186 provided to see what is the best psu upgrade option.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 2:49:29 AM

Anonymous said:
^ +1 on the 70% which means 151 watts . .

so that leaves:

GeForce GTX 550 Ti Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 116 W
or
AMD Radeon™ HD 6/7770 one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector

that is keeping your PSU.

You forgot the HD6850's and HD6870's. Both fall well under 160W.
m
l
February 16, 2012 3:31:21 AM

@looniam
basically I can run the gtx 560 ti 448 Cores Limited Edition? but has risk involved?
:(  thank you for the info the detailed answer and the recommendation's :D 

@DM186
no no no, its completely ok , I understand and Im Aware about my PSU
thank you for the link's!!! I'll look at em, thank you for explaining it very detailed <3

@zero_
thank you for the suggestion!!!

uhmm... Ok guys... do you think I can Run a GTS 250?
(yea not much of an upgrade I think :??: )

what's the safest video card I can get? (lol im a bit worried now :sweat: )
how much watt's can my psu take on a one sweet GPU? :love: 
sorry for alot of questions, I've been gaming on a pc since 06, but still don't know alot...

Thank you very much everyone :D 
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 7:05:29 PM

The biggest card to go with would be the 6670 and still be safe with your PSU or you could go with the 550 ti but it is a very weak card I know I have two of them. Those wood be my choices.
m
l
February 16, 2012 8:33:03 PM

Im already using a 6670 :( 

I talked with my boyfriend, (he'll buy me a new psu which isn't faulty yay :love:  )
but before that,

im thinking of buying our friend's gts 250 (she's selling it only 15$ ;)  )
do you think it will run fine with my system ? gonna use it for only 3months+ it's cheap :love:  :bounce: 

thank you for the help :love: 
m
l

Best solution

a c 181 U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 11:10:25 PM

yes it will not much of an up grade but better than what you have. If you get a new PSU look for the brands Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, and XFX and make sure they show 80+ and they support SLI or CrossFire.

Here is the hierarchy of the video cards. This shows both AMD and Nvidia card. I hope this helps and I wish you the best with your up grade. And tell your boyfriend I am sorry if I made him sad :D  Good luck to ya

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-ca...
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 11:27:57 PM

the 6850/6790 would be a better balance for that setup OP has
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 11:32:30 PM

Ya I know but she has a deal with a friend and they don'thave to buy a new PSU right away.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 11:42:19 PM

for 3 month use until you get somethign better then ya the 250 is a little faster than the 6670 but keep in mind no dx11.
in the long run after you get a new psu for your rig i wouldnt go much faster than the 6850 or 560 non ti in your rig as they would be more balanced than the 560ti and above.
my dad had a Q6600 and a 6950 was bottlenecked by it @ stock speeds.
m
l
February 17, 2012 12:12:17 AM

DM186 said:
yes it will not much of an up grade but better than what you have. If you get a new PSU look for the brands Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, and XFX and make sure they show 80+ and they support SLI or CrossFire.

Here is the hierarchy of the video cards. This shows both AMD and Nvidia card. I hope this helps and I wish you the best with your up grade. And tell your boyfriend I am sorry if I made him sad :D  Good luck to ya

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-ca...

thank you for the confirmation!!! :D  its ok no need to say sorry :love:  ... why? his using my 6670 :lol:  and besides I found it funny when I told him that the psu which he bought for me is not that good , his like ( :ouch:  ) :kaola: 

sure thing , we'll look at what's the best for the budget for a new PSU upgrade
and... after lot's of booting attempt and god I was nervous but finally, the GTS 250 is running, yay!!
(haven't payed it yet XD maybe tomorrow) Im stressing it out by playing Assassins Creed Brotherhood
(I can clearly see the difference on my 6670 with this gts250 specially with vertical sync on)

once again, thank you!!!

FlintIronStagg said:
for 3 month use until you get somethign better then ya the 250 is a little faster than the 6670 but keep in mind no dx11.
in the long run after you get a new psu for your rig i wouldnt go much faster than the 6850 or 560 non ti in your rig as they would be more balanced than the 560ti and above.
my dad had a Q6600 and a 6950 was bottlenecked by it @ stock speeds.

thank you! ;)  Im aware of about the gts 250 having no DX11 , doesn't bother me (for now :??:  ) Until we get a new PSU (which then I want a monster video card! roar! :bounce:  )

hmmm looks like im gonna create a new topic about getting a new cpu in a couple of months,
and possibly making a full upgrade , considering Im still using a pentium 4 Computer casing :lol:  with 2 little fans and a light like from a christmas tree :wahoo: 

thank you very much everyone :love: 

we're very happy with the gts250 till further upgrade :love: 
m
l
February 17, 2012 12:26:52 AM

Best answer selected by hushinimi.
m
l
!