Radeon 6870 black edition cutting off display and running fan at full

metalfingers

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Hello,

I've just started having this issue since yesterday. I was playing Skyrim, and the screen went black and my fan on the GPU kicked in to 100%. It sits and doesn't stop. I checked temps while it was running, and it was idle at 40c. (Normal, if I remember right) I have to turn off the PC and reboot when it does this, and it has started doing it even at idle on the desktop. It's fine for maybe 3-5 minutes before it just goes nuts. The temperature stays the same, 38 to 40c.

Does anyone have any tips? The only free slot I have open for a temporary graphics card is taken by my network adapter. So, as I type this I'm downloading drivers on this laptop to transfer via flash drive to the desktop to install while I use the temporary graphics card. My internet is horrible though and this is going to take a couple of hours.

metalfingers

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I appreciate the advice. I've reinstalled windows and new drivers, it was fine for a couple of days and then it did it again today while watching youtube. Then, it started coming on and off when I tried to power it back on. I got red lights all over the board, then it stuck by the PCI slots. I think I'm going to build a new computer anyway, this one is pushing 3 to 4 years old.

DM186

Splendid
You would know if you need a new rig. I feel for you but at least you got 4 years out of it. That is good since 4 years ago eveything is going obsolete. They have some cool stuff out now.

Just be carful there is a lot of stuff that looks ok but it isn't. Reserch and ask for opinions on what you are thinking to build. If you are building it your self. Here is a little trick.

Go to cyberpower.com and/or ibuypower.com. Use there configuraters and build your rig. Then write down the parts on paper then go on line or how ever you shop, and order the same stuff or better.

That way you track your budget and you know what you are looking for. Or you could let them do it for you but it would be cheaper if you did it yourself. I wish you the best on your rebuild and good luck to ya.

metalfingers

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Thanks man, I've built my new rig and it's running great. A GPU wasn't in my budget so I'm running off the onboard graphics for now (I had to have the PC for my home recording studio, and I didn't need a gaming GPU for that) I was able to get everything for about 648$, shipping included :)

The new build:
Azza Solano 1000 case
Core i5 2500k CPU
MSI Z68A-G45 (B3) Motherboard
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (With a second 120mm fan on the side, and a modified top mounted fan (I think it's an 80mm)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 Ram (2x4GB)
1000W Power supply salvaged from the old rig
and last but not least, my old 500gb and 1tb hard drives.

Runs like a champ, CPU has stayed at around 30c, maybe 36-40 under a 100% load for short periods (Such as rendering large files)

I may try out my 6870 on this set up and see if I get the same problem. I'm beginning to think my old motherboard and CPU were having troubles and not the card.

DM186

Splendid
We that is good to hear nice job on what you put to gether I hope it works for a long time. Ya go ahead and check the card out to see if it is the card or not. If it works problem solved you now have a GPU. Good luck to ya.