Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Do I really need to reinstall XP?? error: 0xC004F061

Last response: in Windows 7
January 15, 2010 3:08:08 AM

Hi guys,

I have just installed windows 7 on my new computer but they say product key is not valid.
I got windows 7 with the student offer ending jan 5th.

Problem is, this key is only for system upgrades.
Why I didnt install windows XP first? it was installed but I reformatted my harddrive, and I don't have the installation CD for windows XP

Anyone know a workaround for that? I've tried to contact microsoft support but nothing so far. They only answer me the generic answer from their support database;

"To install an upgrade version of Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP must be installed on your computer. If you formatted the drive before starting the installation process, you won't be able to use the upgrade product key to activate Windows 7. To activate Windows 7, you'll need to install your previous version of Windows, and then reinstall Windows 7. For help with the activation process, go to the Microsoft Support website"

is this for real????

thanks

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
January 15, 2010 3:24:09 AM
January 15, 2010 12:18:24 PM

thanks I'll try that tonight
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2010 1:31:46 AM

Just use Daz boot loader (google search) and install one of its random keys. This will activate windows and require a restart. Run Daz bootloader again and uninstall the key and restart. When your computer is restarted go to control panel -> System and change the product key to your own.

Problem solved, no need to install windows twice or not format your HDD.
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2011 11:33:37 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!