How to Partition my hard drive

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Any links where I can find out how to do this? What are the true benefits?
TY

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hi, Chris,

The only way you can re-partition your hard drive without losing all your programs, is with a 3rd party partition manager, such as Partition Magic or Bootit NG.
Otherwise you will have to start from scratch, and re-install XP on a clean hard drive.

Jerry

"Chris J." <anonymous@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:309atnF2tqo2mU1@uni-berlin.de...
> Any links where I can find out how to do this? What are the true benefits?
> TY

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition
or Repartition a Hard Disk
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=255867

Tutorial on How to Create & Delete Hard Drive Partitions
http://fdisk.radified.com/

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:49:56 -0500, in
<309atnF2tqo2mU1@uni-berlin.de>
Chris J. scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I have two hard disks on my machine. The master drive is divided into
several partitions. In theory, if you keep all your important data on a
separate partition from the OS (usually C:) then if you ever have to
reinstall the OS then your data is relatively safe. I use Norton Ghost to
keep backups of the C: drive on the second hard disk.

"Philip" <pr_bellamy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in

> I have two hard disks on my machine. The master drive is divided into
> several partitions. In theory, if you keep all your important data on
> a separate partition from the OS (usually C:) then if you ever have to
> reinstall the OS then your data is relatively safe. I use Norton Ghost
> to keep backups of the C: drive on the second hard disk.

There are a lot of perfectly valid reasons for multiple partitions on the
same drive. The idea that having your OS on a different partition of the
same physical drive makes your data safe is simply not one of them.