Looking for gaming sound-card

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Gaming
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
August 6, 2012 5:57:11 PM

Heyo guys, so, i'm looking for a soundcard for 85% gaming and 15% music.

Usally i play with my headset, SteelSeries Siberia v2 7.1

I would like a decent sound card for about ~150$.

Playing alot of first person shooter games, so i'm looking for a sound card with decent positioning.

I saw some sound-cards but i cant really decide, i really liked the Asus Xonar Xense Bundle.

I dont know :??:  :??:  :??: 

Dont worry about connections i got the gigabyte ga-z77x-ud3h mobo so no prob's

thanks for your help :) 

More about : gaming sound card

a b 4 Gaming
August 6, 2012 8:32:47 PM

I can not recommend any Creative soundcard, since most of their stuff at this point is overpriced rubbish.

For $150, you have a few options. The best, from a price/performance standpoint, remains the ASUS Xonar DX. Moving up a tier, the obvious contenders are:

ASUS Xonar D2(X)
HT Omega Halo+
Auzentech Meridian 2G
Auzentech Forte

Might even find a few higher tier cards [ASUS Xonar Essence ST(X), HT Omega Claro] in that price range if you look hard enough.
m
l
Related resources
August 6, 2012 8:53:42 PM

gamerk316 said:
I can not recommend any Creative soundcard, since most of their stuff at this point is overpriced rubbish.

For $150, you have a few options. The best, from a price/performance standpoint, remains the ASUS Xonar DX. Moving up a tier, the obvious contenders are:

ASUS Xonar D2(X)
HT Omega Halo+
Auzentech Meridian 2G
Auzentech Forte

Might even find a few higher tier cards [ASUS Xonar Essence ST(X), HT Omega Claro] in that price range if you look hard enough.

How is the DX for FPS games?
m
l
August 6, 2012 10:01:17 PM

gamerk316 said:

ASUS Xonar D2(X)
HT Omega Halo+
Auzentech Meridian 2G
Auzentech Forte

this creative card is no good?
m
l
August 7, 2012 1:06:22 AM

Guys help :S
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
August 12, 2012 1:08:18 AM

The SteelSeries Siberia v2 7.1 comes with a "7.1 virtual soundcard" which plugs into the usb port. So it won't work with nor does it need another sound card.

Furthermore your onboard sound, the VIA VT2021, has a signal to noise ratio of 110 db. Which is better than most sound cards.

The bottom line is that a sound card won't do you much good(and might make the audio out of your headset worse!). I'd recommend not wasting your money.
August 13, 2012 2:17:19 AM

Best answer selected by Virtax.
m
l
August 13, 2012 2:20:39 AM

MagicPants said:
The SteelSeries Siberia v2 7.1 comes with a "7.1 virtual soundcard" which plugs into the usb port. So it won't work with nor does it need another sound card.

Furthermore your onboard sound, the VIA VT2021, has a signal to noise ratio of 110 db. Which is better than most sound cards.

The bottom line is that a sound card won't do you much good(and might make the audio out of your headset worse!). I'd recommend not wasting your money.

Wow.. how stupid could i be?

110db noise ratio? phew.. I'm so lucky that i didnt bought a soundcard alredy ..

To be honest i had very decent positioning with this onboard audo, just thought i can get even more.

Thank you very much! saved me about 100-200 dollar :D 

Now i can spent it on a decent headphone's or something, will probably need an external amp.

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 13, 2012 5:30:58 AM

I may have made a mistake. It looks like there are many versions of the SteelSeries Siberia v2 7.1, some with the usb sound card and some without. If you have the type that uses a standard 3.5mm jack then a sound card will do you some good.

In fact you could just buy a Steel series card designed to go with your headphones

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Siberia-Sound-Card-Bl...

Otherwise pick up a xonar dgx, or essence

m
l
!