Sign in with
Your question

HIS Radeon 6970 problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2012 2:33:27 AM

High guys, this is my first build. I apologize upfront for anything I say that should be common knowledge lol but i'm trying to learn. Okay, so I put all of my components together, and I cannot see my graphics card (HIS Radeon HD 6970) in device manager. I have to connect my HDMI connector to the onboard HDMI to get video. I tried installing the drivers for the 6970, however, I get an error stating that "errors were present" when installing catalyst. When i open the view error messages there is nothing that shows up? The path that is support to be created is something like "C:\Program Files\Ati\ ". When installation is complete this directory does not exist. When I installed the drivers form the disk for my motherboard, the motherboards Intel HD graphics drivers were installed. Would this cause conflict? Has anyone heard of this problem before? Also, I have not updated the bios.

More about : radeon 6970 problems

a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2012 2:57:26 AM

Your system is not recognizing the card. Make sure it is properly seated and the power cables are plugged in. Can you display an image using the other ports of the card?
February 16, 2012 3:05:04 AM

I chose a single 6970 when I built my rig and had the same exact problem as you.

For some reason, HDMI and 6970s don't like each other very much. When I tried DVI - problem solved.
Related resources
February 16, 2012 3:23:06 AM

PCgamer81 said:
I chose a single 6970 when I built my rig and had the same exact problem as you.

For some reason, HDMI and 6970s don't like each other very much. When I tried DVI - problem solved.

did you use an DVI to HDMI adapter or straight DVI? I had a feeling that might be an issue too. When you installed your OS was the card listed under device manager? I have my bios set to PCI-e, but for some reason its like its not even there. One more thing, did catalyst control center give you any issues?
February 17, 2012 11:05:53 PM

No, CCC didn't give any issues once I got everything straightened out.

I just hooked up straight from the monitor to the GPU via DVI, no adapter.
February 18, 2012 1:37:04 AM

actually I am a dumbass... i realize now after studying my manuals at work that i did not connect the other 6-pin PCI-e power connect to my graphics card. I did connect the 8-pin, which is why the fan would whirl up, giving me the impression it was running. Will post an update lol hopefully that was my issue. thank you for the responses guys, i appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out.
!