April 24, 2012 8:03:48 AM

Purchase Date: Around June/July

Budget Range: Around $1000 before tax/shipping

System Usage: Mainly gaming

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: In the future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

CPU: i5 2500k ($180)
CPU heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 ($25)
Mobo: Asrock extreme3 gen3 ($122)
GPU: Radeon HD 6850 ($135)
PSU: Seasonic x 650 gold ($140)
RAM: corsair vengeance 8gb ($54)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb ($101)
Case: Antec 902 V3 ($115)
Optical Drive: Asus 24x DVD Burner ($18)

Total: $990

Not sure if i want to get a better GPU. I do not really want to go over budget

Also, the Seasonic x650 Gold is not on the AMD Certified Power Supplies list http://support.amd.com/us/certified/power-supplies/Page... , wondering if that matters

I was also wondering since the new Ivy Bridge is coming out, if i should wait to get that, or wait if prices drop for the sandy bridge.

Would appreciate any input on this. Thanks
April 24, 2012 3:36:50 PM

Thanks. I am sure the 6850 will do fine for Diablo, but i was wondering about the more demanding games in the future.
m
l

Best solution

April 24, 2012 4:14:58 PM

First, taking into account that you have the 2500K listed price wise @ $180, you must have a microcenter nearby. If they are still doing the combo for the "K" series chips, that mobo @ microcenter will only be around $74. That gives you a $50 savings.

Next, drop the PSU down to this: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650

While it isn't a gold rated PSU, it is still a fantastic PSU and will provide more than enough power for your system. This is another $50 savings.

You could lower the total overall price of the build by $100 by doing this, or preferably you would take that $100 and add it to the GPU and get this: PowerColor AX7850 Radeon HD 7850

Even though Diablo 3 isn't extremely taxing, this GPU will allow you to play more demanding games in the future and is the best performance for the buck you can get out of a GPU at the moment.

Or if you felt that going with a traditional HDD might not suit you best, take that $100 savings and grab one of these: Crucial M4 64GB Solid State Drive

Useing this as a boot drive and it can hold a few games. I currently have Guildwars and the Diablo 3 beta on mine as well as the OS and essentials and it has room left. Boot times and load times did a notable increase vs my Caviar black 1TB drive.
Related resources
April 24, 2012 4:16:45 PM

6850 probably wont hold up for FPS and other graphic intensive games after about 1 year. But its not optimal to spend more now, b/c when you do start seeing problems, you can always buy a much better card than what you could right now for the same price.

Wait to see what comes from Nvidia Kepler. You are not purchasing till June/July, so you may get a better deal with the new range of cards.
m
l
April 24, 2012 4:34:16 PM

+1 to Pezcore27 and you could also use the SSD as SRT and not have to work out managing what is actually loaded on the SSD.
m
l
April 25, 2012 10:04:54 AM

Quote:
First, taking into account that you have the 2500K listed price wise @ $180, you must have a microcenter nearby. If they are still doing the combo for the "K" series chips, that mobo @ microcenter will only be around $74. That gives you a $50 savings.

Next, drop the PSU down to this: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650

While it isn't a gold rated PSU, it is still a fantastic PSU and will provide more than enough power for your system. This is another $50 savings.

You could lower the total overall price of the build by $100 by doing this, or preferably you would take that $100 and add it to the GPU and get this: PowerColor AX7850 Radeon HD 7850

Even though Diablo 3 isn't extremely taxing, this GPU will allow you to play more demanding games in the future and is the best performance for the buck you can get out of a GPU at the moment.

Or if you felt that going with a traditional HDD might not suit you best, take that $100 savings and grab one of these: Crucial M4 64GB Solid State Drive

Useing this as a boot drive and it can hold a few games. I currently have Guildwars and the Diablo 3 beta on mine as well as the OS and essentials and it has room left. Boot times and load times did a notable increase vs my Caviar black 1TB drive.

Thanks for the suggestions Pezcore, completely forgot about the microcenter $50 off on the motherboard with i5 2500k. Also, I was hoping to look for a power supply that was modular, but i will definitely consider the Corsair TX650.
m
l
April 25, 2012 10:15:42 AM

Ahh you are right recon, just found it on Newegg. Thank you
m
l
April 28, 2012 7:32:58 AM

Best answer selected by Image19.
m
l
!