Status
Not open for further replies.

Jechu182

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hi, im new here, i never asked something in a forum, so I hope i get a little help, this is the problem:

I have a EVGA Geforce 6200 512MB Agp video card that i have been using for a while, around a year and a half. So its kinda new... I know its very old, but its the best agp card, my pc is very old and i dont have money to upgrade...

Well, the thing is that one day it started causing problems when i tried playing video files and games... The exact moment VLC opened to play the video file my pc would freeze, in games it took around 5 minutes of gameplay to freeze. I had to reboot my pc manually pressiong the button.

Then it got worse as it started freezing right when Windows XP booted. So i swapped it for another agp video card i had (Geforce 2 MX/MX 400) and the computer started working perfect... No problems playing video files or games.

So my question is, what might the problem be? Static damage? Dirty AGP slot?
Overheating? The weird thing is than while im in BIOS it works good, the problem is in WindowsXP, i have even tried deleting my existing OS and used a clean installation of XP but nothing was solved.

So I would really appreciate any help, I plan to buy a new PC soon, but in the meantime me and my little brother would really like to play games with the 6200 instead of the Geforce 2...

Thank you to everyone in advance!

Solution
Although not a high powered card by any means, the 6200 does require a bit more power than the MX 400(another good old card). It could be that since the system is so old, either the power supply or motherboard is having trouble keeping up. Basically the power supply powers the motherboard, which in turn powers the video card. As such components age, they struggle to do their jobs.

It may be just time to save up for a newer computer. Even a newer used one would surely be an improvement.

Jechu182

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

Yes, I have downloaded the latest drivers for it, from nVidia. But nothing...

Yeah, its a very good card for older games, i have played with it a long time with no trouble. All of a sudden this started happening, but im positive that its a hardware/physical problem

tlmck

Distinguished
Although not a high powered card by any means, the 6200 does require a bit more power than the MX 400(another good old card). It could be that since the system is so old, either the power supply or motherboard is having trouble keeping up. Basically the power supply powers the motherboard, which in turn powers the video card. As such components age, they struggle to do their jobs.

It may be just time to save up for a newer computer. Even a newer used one would surely be an improvement.

Solution

Jechu182

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

Yeah, I was also thinking that. Well, the Geforce2 will have to do for now i guess, I cant wait till i build a new PC Thanks for your help ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.