Weird Problem with HD 7970

zabuzaxsta

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
The description on my youtube video says it all, but I'll try and explain it a little before you check out the video. Basically, I got a second hd 7970 to run crossfire on a eyefinity triple monitor setup. I plugged it in, got it all working, gave it a nice 1260/1725/1.3 gpu/memory/volts overclock, did some 3dmark11 tests, and crap hit the fan. I get weird, dynamic primary color bursts (they look like SUPER botched lens flares) popping all around the screen, and they get progressively worse. In some games, textures will flicker horribly. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKW9GVm4ZXo&feature=g-upl&context=G20f18f2AUAAAAAAAAAA

Pay closer attention to the beginning of the video, that's really what it looks like. In the latter part, something got lost during encoding and it sorta looks like that but without the black outlines of shapes and whatnot. The whole screen becomes a dazzle of blue, red, and green flares, then the program crashes. What's going on here, do I have a defective card?

I feel the need to mention that when I ran the same overclock on just one HD 7970, everything was fine. The moment I put them into crossfire, however, that crap started happening. Usually, it happens whenever I get over 100fps (though for some reason that video says the FPS was 60 - I think FRAPS records at 60 FPS, so it slowed the framerate down).

EDIT: Oh, and at stock clocks the xfire runs just fine.

pete_83

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Hey did you ever fix this? I get the same problems with my Gigabyte 7970. I'm ready to just sell it because of these issues.