3dMark 11 vs 6950 2GB, why so low?

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Hello! I recently built a new computer and have been running diagnostics etc making sure everything is up to par and not over heating etc, and today I ran 3dMark 11 to see how my new GPU was, and I was very disappointed... I am using an MSI twin frozr II 6950 2GB with 800mhz core clock, 1250 memory clock alongside an i5 2500k. I only ran the middle test, performance I think? My rig only pulled through with mostly 20 fps on each of the tests, sometimes less. I built this rig mostly to play games, especially for Battlefield 3, and I have heard lots of people say how they can run BF3 on or near ultra, with a solid 30-45 fps depending on what fancy features they have turned low or off (AA etc). So what gives? I haven't tried BF3 or any real games yet, but honestly the graphical tests that 3dmark 11 used did not seem like anything my PS3 could not handle. If my 6950 can't handle the middle classed 3dmark 11 with a steady 30 frames, how are all these people I'm hearing of playing BF3 on ultra/near ultra with 30-45 fps? Do video games utilize GPU's better than 3d mark or what? I am confused :(.

Also,this was my ending score, which I believe is similar to what Tom's got?

Overall Score P5067
Graphics Score P4873
Physics Score P6437
Combined Score P4965

Please help me out. This was an expensive card and everywhere I read, reviewers and customers say it's a fairly powerful card and that it can run BF3 and other high detail games great. I know it isn't a 7970 or anything, but I was expecting better. Or is the 3dMark11 a bad representation of how GPU's will do in real video games?

Can someone help me out here? I'm going to be so sad if this card can't run BF3 at least on high or near ultra.

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
My psu should be perfectly fine. I have an OCZ ZS 750w, which should give the gpu more than enough juice. Can someone double check the scores I got to make sure I'm getting what I should be?

Yea its not power supply issues, Its 3DMark 11, 3d mark 11 was designed to ugh umm make Intel and NVIDIA Shine, now i have seen people Run the 7970 in 3DMark and it's kicking @$$, but 3d mark is designed as a stress test so its not like running BF3, Its coding is designed as a "Benchmark" or "Stress test" you know like Prime95, if your gonna bench AMD cards i recommend using a AMD recommended benchmarks. Or one i like to use is Unigine Heaven benchmark. they are a neutral benchmark. they make all shine. Me and one of my friends benched our cards, I was using just 1 GTX 560 ti at the time and he had a 6950, and we both got similar scores. his was higher by about 100 or 200 pts. but our overall scores were satisfying. Don't always rely on Mark 11. I use 2 GTX 560 ti's in SLI but i use a FX 6100 "AMD" Cpu which goes back to making Intel Shine

From Kitguru:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-hd-6950-toxic-edition-2gb-review/7/
3dmark11.png

3DMark11 is actually to make AMD radeon shine :D. Anyway OP, you must to try to play BF3 and come back, it should run. You can't judge from 3DMark11 to play BF3 :).

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Alright, good to know the info guys. Also I think I got some slightly dated drivers which might have caused a little slower performance. I haven't bought BF3 yet, but I got a free game code for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and plan on downloading it and League of Legends today. I know LoL isn't in the same league at all as BF3, but would Deus Ex on ultra settings be comparable to BF3 on ultra? Just to give me an idea of how BF3 will run before I buy it.