Non-gaming case < $150

PC420

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
What is a good non-gaming case that is quiet, sturdy, and not too bulky or heavy? Price ~ $80 to $130ish.
For non-gaming PCs, does one need front fans? I have seen just an exhaust fan on previous computers that I have owned from Dell.

When would a case need a couple of front fans, maybe a top fan and so on?

Most cases that I have looked at on Newegg and seen reviews on youtube emphasize air ventilation, cooling, fans, etc., things that
I would think add noise to the system. My system will have i7-3770k CPU on ASUS P8Z77-V MOBO, powered by SeaSonic M12II PSU.

I am not planning to get any discrete graphics card for now because I don't play PC games, but would like to in the future.
What case can serve my purpose? I have looked at Antec 900 and Corsair Carbide 400R at my local Frys store, and have seen
many reviews on Corsair Obsidian 550D, Carbide 300R, Antec 300, and so on.

Appreciate your help.

Solution

PC420

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Hi JohnnyLucky,

For now, I will mainly be doing the following: Video and photo editing, everyday use like email, web surfing, steaming music and video, watching DVDs, and some computer programming in C++, Python, etc.

I could possibly get into gaming in the future. I know I want the i7-3770, but will get the i7-3770k for another extra $20 to leave the possibility of overclocking, which is the reason why I am also getting the P8Z77-V and not the P8Z77-V LK (which is $50 cheaper).

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
quick link to SPCR's top picks for quiet:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page5.html

as far as when you make the step to do a video card, once you've decided on your model (can use the monthly best for the $)

Techpowerup does good reviews with respect to noise. currently, the ASUS cards score very quiet on noise.

For a cpu cooler, 212evo is a very quiet and affordable choice-especially if you are not overclocking and it can run at low.

Start with just the fans provided with the case.
If you need more airflow, or you find that you can only keep temps under control by making the fans run faster and louder, then add-on the extra fans afterwards.

davec80

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

Check out the NZXT Source 220. I myself was leaning toward Antec Three Hundred (another good choice) until I read reviews of the Source 220 from NZXT. The difference between a gaming case and a non-gaming case is the user. If you play games, then you own a gaming case. :)

As for noise and cooling...the MINIMUM cooling a system can get away with is a single case fan. A couple of large diameter cooling fans running at slower speed will cool better and quieter, though. I suggest the Source 220 as it will meet your needs fine with the *included* cooling fans. Even if you add a discrete graphics card later.

Solution