Sign in with
Your question

Breadboarding new-build, Still no Post after lots of troubleshooting!

Last response: in Systems
April 24, 2012 12:38:15 PM

Hello! I finally got all the components for my new build and decided it would be a good idea to breadboard it all first to make sure everything was working but after hours of troubleshooting and i did follow the "what to do before posting about no-post thread" and still no joy.

All i have connected is: CorSair TX650 PSU
AMD Phenom II x4 965 and,
Asus M4A89GTD PRO with Mobo Speaker

I have both power cable connected and a switch i took from an old computer so when i turn it on, I get Mobo lights i get fan spinning, but no beeps, and if i hold down the power button it doesnt turn off I have to turn of the PSU. Iv pretty much ruled out the PSU as its brand new and has never been used. I also dont think its the CPU as i was very careful with my anti-static wrist band, using stock thermal paste and it dropped into the socket nicley.

Myabie its the Mobo but have no way of telling :S and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Graeme! :) 
April 24, 2012 12:53:29 PM

Have you tried actually hooking it up to a keyboard, mouse, and monitor and seeing if it displays something? Beeps aren't everything...
April 24, 2012 1:04:01 PM

Yea...
Related resources
April 24, 2012 1:06:54 PM

Yes I did eventually attach an old monitor to it just in case, connected it through VGA but constantly got "no signal". The monitor does work as iv recently used it...
April 24, 2012 1:08:51 PM

lol, when I saw your title to the post, I got confused. Breadboarding to me means putting some stickers down on copper plates to get it ready for an acid bath. hehe

I'm curious though, why would you decide to hook your equipment up like this anyway?
April 24, 2012 2:32:31 PM

You did not list it so I must ask did you install any ram? The system will not post with out ram.
April 24, 2012 2:47:20 PM

Ah, yes, my breadboarding thread.

jlmoss, you do this for two reasons.

First, you can test all the parts before you put them in a case.

Second, it is great for troubleshooting - easy access to components and it completely eliminates the possibility of a case problem.

chuckie987 said:

I have both power cable connected and a switch i took from an old computer so when i turn it on, I get Mobo lights i get fan spinning, but no beeps, and if i hold down the power button it doesnt turn off I have to turn of the PSU.

Although you have a better than average PSU, that points to a PSU problem.

Bryon, the system will not pass the POST without RAM. However, it should run the POST and fail, generating a "no memory" beep failure.

You do not need drives, a keyboard, mouse, or monitor to pass the POST.

April 24, 2012 6:52:29 PM

Thanks for helping, I trust your judgement but it was a brand new PSU as in this is the first things iv used it on. The only other one I have is an old 300W from an old system that I could use but it only has a 4 pin connector for the CPU where as my MoBo has a 8 pin connector would this work to test it..?
April 25, 2012 10:33:26 AM

Well I put the New PSU in an older system and it booted up and ran fine so i assume this means that the MoBo is defective...?
!