K or not to K

I have the option of getting a free i5 2400 or I was thinking about purchasing a 2500K and over clocking it. What are your opinions of putting down the cash to 'upgrade' to the 2500K, will it give me the performance difference to justify spending the money on it over the free 2400 locked processor?
15 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. lol.. take the free 2400. Thats a no brainer. No matter how the hell much you overclock the 2500K the performance you gain for it is never going to come anywhere near the price to performance of a free i5-2400.
  2. if you're not an overclocker then the 2400 is a fine processor.
    If you decide to try overclocking then you can sell the 2400 and put the money towards a k. Thats a whole lot better than just buying the k outright.
  3. Duh...
  4. clutchc said:
    Duh...

    lol :lol:
  5. you can still overclock the non-k processors 4bins. it is called Limited unlock.
  6. raytseng said:
    you can still overclock the non-k processors 4bins. it is called Limited unlock.

    Thats a very bad and stupid idea, do not do it.
  7. nekulturny said:
    Thats a very bad and stupid idea, do not do it.


    Why not? It's not harmful in any way (assuming that you don't do it on the stock cooler). It's not like you're OC'ing the BCLK or anything, just raising the Turbo multi's.
  8. DJDeCiBeL said:
    Why not? It's not harmful in any way (assuming that you don't do it on the stock cooler).

    Shhh! cus I've been drinking, and you're hashing my mellow. lol. In all seriousness. it is a free CPU afterall. risk away. Whats the worst that could happen? :lol:
  9. nekulturny said:
    Shhh! cus I've been drinking, and you're hashing my mellow. lol.


    :lol:
  10. nekulturny said:
    Thats a very bad and stupid idea, do not do it.


    whatever logic you to arrive at that conclusion applies the same to overclocking a k processor.

    I don't think you understand limited unlock.
  11. Quote:

    I don't think you understand limited unlock.


    We've established I've been drinking, but you're correct, I assumed you were talking about BLCK overclocking, which elicits a knee-jerk reaction from me because of how much a bad idea it is.
  12. :) cheers then! i'm cracking a beer now on your behalf.
  13. Xceptiona1 said:
    I have the option of getting a free i5 2400 or I was thinking about purchasing a 2500K and over clocking it. What are your opinions of putting down the cash to 'upgrade' to the 2500K, will it give me the performance difference to justify spending the money on it over the free 2400 locked processor?


    I would agree with popatim, take the 2400, sell it, and use the money to get a 2500K. If you dont want to sell it, or you can't for whatever reason, the 2400 is a great processor, but the 2500K is flat out amazing :)
  14. raytseng said:
    :) cheers then! i'm cracking a beer now on your behalf.

    I got Stolichnaya! Although, its about my bedtime now. Bout ready to pack it in.

    Anonymous said:
    I would agree with popatim, take the 2400, sell it, and use the money to get a 2500K. If you dont want to sell it, or you can't for whatever reason, the 2400 is a great processor, but the 2500K is flat out amazing :)

    Meh, well its not like theres any video card on the market that will be bottlnecked by a 2400. Although, I guess I can't knock someone for overclocking. My Phenom II at stock speeds does everything I need it to do with my computer usage, I did it merely because I can.
  15. ultimately to k or not to k depends on your budget and a little thing called Intels Limited liability, if you are prepared to pay the premium and know that you may not get a RMA if you blow your chip then by all means. Overclocking is not a game, its not something for nothing, it doesn't turn a $300 chip into a $1000 chip, it is just a hobby, if you don't really need that hobby then don't buy a unlocked processor or requisite board and save a lot of money down the line.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance Intel i5 Product